Is MAD COW over in the US

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Wanda, Jan 8, 2004.

1. Wanda

Wanda Well-Known Member

Is the problem shifted to canada :( It seems that is the atitude of more and more people;including producers!This could be A fatal flaw for the beef industry.The high end export markets (Japan) demand that the problem be taken seriously! If we want the extra 30 cents a pound we need to listen :( The tactic of telling our customers (export) that they are wrong for wanting better testing is silly :( How do WE like it when someone tell's US how to spend our money :no: The market is still there but we need to satisfy there real concerns.I for one would welcome backhthe 1.20 dollar fat's in A heart beat :D When the next(matter of time) shows up it will be the domestic market screaming for better testing;at that point you be ready;for NO MARKET :no: Dig a hole and bury them(CATTLE) or eat them your self will be your options at that point :eek: We had better hear the wakeup call or it is just a matter of time :(
    Mr. Wanda
    Mike

2. Jay1

Jay1 Active Member

I watched the program Wednesday and they had speakers answering questions that can be phoned or faxed in. May prove interesting to you if you can receive the RFD TV

BSE Update: RFD TV http://www.rfd-tv.com/start3.html

Program Schedule: http://www.rfd-tv.com/start3.html

Special "live" 2-hour program to update all facets of the beef industry as well as address consumer concerns of the current BSE situation. Produced by Iowa State University Extention:

http://www.extension.iastate.edu/

topics are scheduled to include review of TSEs, BSE and the Food Supply. The BSE investigation to date and New USDA regulations, Cow Culling Strategies, and Market Strategies and Factors to Watch. Questions will be taken from RFD-TV audience via phone and fax during the broadcast, and answered by a panel of experts. The program is scheduled to run from 2-4pm (eastern), 1-3pm (central), 12-2pm (mountain), and 11am-1pm (pacific) time. Repeats will be on Wednesday evening from 10pm-midnight (eastern), and Thursday, and Saturday afternoon.

3. Wanda

Wanda Well-Known Member

JAY 1
    Ican not get this program :( I would be very interested to hear your take on what the producers think about theUSDA strategy!Do they think it will help us
    regain our export markets? Ihope I am being overly pessamistic :no: What type of feedback did they get? There is no information coming out in my area from our state vets or any other credable source :( Thanks for the input.
    Mr. WANDA
    Mike

4. wr

wr Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Wanda, if you're asking if you'll be able to resume trade in the relatively near future. You probably will, with the exception of Japan. They seem to be funny, even though they have it in their own herds. If you're asking if BSE is all gone and only Canadian disease, probably not. Our feeding practices are the same, our laws governing feeding practices changed at the same. I think that my greatest fear is that people will not report downed cattle or cattle displaying symptoms because of the unwanted fallout that rains down on them and their industry through the media and outsiders. The poor man that had the angus cow has suffered terribly, there have been articles written about him, he's had folks loudly suggest, in the local coffee shop, that he deliberately destroyed an industry, he's received hate mail and death threats. The folks in Saskatchewan that bred the cow, were harrassed by the media till the old boy suffered health problems, they were good and honest breeders and we've lost them. They swear that they will never raise cattle again and they probably won't. I had a neighbor with a very clean herd, contract anthrax and you couldn't beleive how his neighbors behaved toward him and his family. People that they had attended church with for years wouldn't speak to them and when they did speak it was cruel and slanderous. I don't beleive we will see the quantity of cases we saw in the UK but I don't think it's gone and until we see a lot more science, it's going to be in the back of our minds forever and each time it rears it's head, somebody is going to suffer.

5. Jay1

Jay1 Active Member

Lots of video and audio clips here:

http://marketjournal.unl.edu/

http://marketjournal.unl.edu/archive/rangebeefsymp_031213.shtml

“don't think it's gone and until we see a lot more science….” YES!!!

Research by North Carolina State University scientists, in conjunction with scientists from the Netherlands and BioResource International, an NC State spin-off biotechnology company, has shown that, under proper conditions, an enzyme can fully degrade the prion – or protein particle – believed to be responsible for mad cow disease and other related animal and human diseases. …Soon, it will become clear whether keratinase can also help prevent mad cow and other harmful diseases caused by prions.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2004/01/040106081302.htm

Jan. 5, 2004
    Scientists Discover That Enzyme Degrades Mad Cow Disease Prion

http://www.ncsu.edu/news/press_releases/04_01/001.htm

6. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

I tend to agree with wr. There are likely to be as many SSS as there will be who report.

Ken S. in WC TN

7. wr

Alberta is seriously considering 100% testing on all animals slaughtered. I hope they do and look upon it as a firm step in the right direction. If we have a problem, I'd like to see it improve rather than escalate into a full blown disaster with each unexpected find. If a person could find them all or prove that we're doing everything we can, I think we'd be setting a standard rather than following the pack and working on damage control.

8. Wanda

Wanda Well-Known Member

WR
    I also would be very pleased with a system in place to test ALL bovines over 24months at slaughter. I think that the packers will fight this VERY hard :( They have the money and friends in high places to block it :mad: There was some talk on the news yesterday of letting bids to deve lopla new testing system :dance: The packers hate anything that slows chain speed or profit margin; so they will be given the majoraty of the input :( Let's hope it doesn't get sidetracked.
    Mr. Wanda
    Mike

9. wr

Wanda, I don't think they have much of a choice. Since BSE has shown up, it's almost destroyed agriculture in Alberta and the $ billions that they're paying right now in aid to the feedlots and the plants is more than enough leverage. It's reallly important to locate any other cases that might be out there before we have another incident like the last two and I'm sure that with all the fear surrounding the issue right now, there will be less calls to vets and more SSS on cattle that are unwell so the only other really good option would be total testing.