Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This evening I roasted one of my Cornish rocks I butchered on Saturday. There is a little left. Not enough to save but too much to throw away.

I still have 13 Cornish rocks left (that just aren't big enough yet).

Is it wrong to throw the left over cooked chicken out to the chickens?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Plenty of people do it, but I don't. Just doesn't seem right to feed chickens chicken products, but that is my view. There is no evidence of a problem, but you never know. Just look at the problems feeding cows cow products caused. They will definitely eat it though.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Neighbors chicken got hit by a car apparently. When I drove back by I had to slam on my brakes because his whole flock was in the road eating the dead one.

·
I calls em like I sees em
13,911 Posts
It doesn't hurt anything, but seems like you would get more out of it to put it in the stock pot and make broth out of it. That is a pretty expensive protein source for the chickens.

·
Registered
999 Posts
It doesn't hurt anything, but seems like you would get more out of it to put it in the stock pot and make broth out of it. That is a pretty expensive protein source for the chickens.
Do like I do and combine those ideas. :)
I pressure cook carcasses to get the bones soft for the cats and chickens to be able to fully eat them.
I also get the broth for us humans out of it which I freeze, along with separating out some yummy chunks and cartilage pieces for our 2 dogs. :)

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone. Yes, usually I would make broth and get what's left of the meat out for a little chicken salad or meat to go in soup or something, but honestly I'm just beat. It's Monday, I still have a regular full time job. I also am literally over run with broth right now.

I've got my meat birds down to about $0.82 a pound finished out, so it's not too bad to waste a little on them. Being able to toss it out in the yard and stick the pan in the dishwasher and go sit down with my DD and relax for a bit was worth it.

Thank you to everyone that replied. I don't want to make a habit out if it (and yes it's kind of creepy) but it worked great for tonight.

Even in bed by 10:30. Can't beat that!

·
HOW do they DO that?
2,849 Posts
I hear ya on the broth overload.

Feeding same species risks (mad cow reference) are mitigated by the fact that it's well cooked and that kills any organisms that might spread disease.

I would do this but worry that the dog will get a hold of the cooked bone 'shrapnel'.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I just can't. I know they do eat their own, but for some reason I just can't feed their own. It just seems squelchy to me.

I figure we have to do what makes it possible for us to sleep nights.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Cooking, no matter how thorough, does not kill the Prion that causes Mad Cow disease. Here is a quote from WebMD:

Does Cooking Food Kill the Prion That Causes Mad Cow Disease?Common methods to eliminate disease-causing organisms in food, like heat, do not affect prions. Also, prions only seem to live in nervous system tissue.

So if you suspect an animal has died from this horrible disease my best advice is bury it deep. Really deep and for safety sake do not feed brain or nervous system/lymphatic tissue to any animal. You cannot stop them from 'hunting' down their own protein but you can lessen the odds a bit.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Thanks everyone. Yes, usually I would make broth and get what's left of the meat out for a little chicken salad or meat to go in soup or something, but honestly I'm just beat. It's Monday, I still have a regular full time job. I also am literally over run with broth right now.

I've got my meat birds down to about $0.82 a pound finished out, so it's not too bad to waste a little on them. Being able to toss it out in the yard and stick the pan in the dishwasher and go sit down with my DD and relax for a bit was worth it.

Thank you to everyone that replied. I don't want to make a habit out if it (and yes it's kind of creepy) but it worked great for tonight.

Even in bed by 10:30. Can't beat that!
I hear ya! Hope you had a good sleep and feel better now. :) 0.82/lb is a great price! :)
And I wouldn't feel too bad about feeding it back to them... Just keep a chicken scrap bowl and toss it in, then it is mixed and you don't have to think about it. :)

·
Premium Member
6,491 Posts
When I don't feel like making broth, I just put the carass in the freezer in a labelled Zip Lock baggie. When I am in the mood for making broth, I pull out all my baggies and make bone broth (add a good splash of vinegar and cook for a long time in the crockpot to demineralize the bones and add those minerals to the broth, very good for you!). Then I either freeze the broth until I'm ready to use it or make soup and freeze that!

I'm very lazy.... well efficient? hehe

·
I calls em like I sees em
13,911 Posts
GrannyCarol, that's pretty much what I do too. I have a foodsaver, so vacuum-sealed those carcasses can stay in the freezer a good long time, until I get around to another broth making session.

·
Premium Member
11,554 Posts
On pretty much the same line...

There's nothing like handing my Macaw a nice big turkey drumstick bone and watching him wave it around with one foot, cracking it open like it's an eggshell saying "What's this? It's good..."

I need to get a video of that.. I've told my wife it's pretty twisted but entertaining...

·
Premium Member
25,198 Posts
Chickens are omnivores, meat is part of their natural diet. Yes, they would eat a fallen buddy in a heartbeat. Cows are not omnivores, they are herbivores. They would not eat a fallen buddy no matter how long it lays there. That is why it's simply wrong to feed ground up animals to cows. Not wrong to feed dead animals to chickens simply because it is part of their natural diet.

·
aka RamblinRoseRanc :)
5,066 Posts
Simi.....
You GOTTA tape that! I want to see it, lol.

·
Registered
999 Posts
On pretty much the same line...

There's nothing like handing my Macaw a nice big turkey drumstick bone and watching him wave it around with one foot, cracking it open like it's an eggshell saying "What's this? It's good..."

I need to get a video of that.. I've told my wife it's pretty twisted but entertaining...
Holy cow! Are macaws omnivores? That is too cool what he says!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts