Is it true?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Colorado Junket, Jul 18, 2006.

1. Colorado Junket

Colorado Junket Member

Is it true that the chance of young rabbits breeding with temps over 97o is slim?

2. topside1

topside1 Retired Coastie Supporter

i don't know how slim but i do know that the buck becomes sterile when it becomes that hot. sorry i have not tried b/c i think my rabbits are hot enough w/ out having to take care of little ones. all for now

3. CountryDreams

CountryDreams Well-Known Member

I've heard the same thing about the bucks and I have done the last of my breeding for a couple of months. I have four litters now and two more on the way (this week). And a few more due in three weeks.( I got one more breeding in before the heat hit.) I'll let them all take a break until this heatwave passes. There's no sense losing a buck in this heat to breeding.

4. Colorado Junket

Colorado Junket Member

Thank You All For The Feed Back . Unfortuntily I Lost A Male And Female I Think From The Heat. It's Been In The Upper Nineties Here In The Northwest.i Did Have Ventilation But Apparently That Was Not Enough. I Have Palomios, Black Flops, California, And Himalaniaian All Close To 4 Month Old

5. tbishop

tbishop Well-Known Member

What's a black flop?

Tim B.

6. Colorado Junket

Colorado Junket Member

So sorry, What I meant to say was a black mini lop.

7. tbishop

tbishop Well-Known Member

No problem- I didnt know if you meant French lops or some new breed that I needed to get my hands on:). I have mini lops as well- I have a chestnut buck, a frosted pearl buck, a REW doe, and a blue doe. I'm VERY excited to get to breeding in the fall. The does are still a little young.

Tim B.

8. Rosarybeads

Rosarybeads Well-Known Member

Hmm, we never lost rabbits to heat, even when it was over 100 and high humidity. Do they always have a place to get out of the sun? Oh, and feel free to breed them, but just breed them in the evening when it is cooler out, and let them breed the doe two times and take her out. Don't leave her in, that just stresses buck and doe. I never have left the does with the buck, I just let him breed her twice, and take her out. Less stress, and you saw them breed so no guessing if she bred, etc... You can also breed a couple does with a buck this way, although you have to go by how the buck feels, if he is having trouble actually breeding the second, just take her out and try the next night.