Is it too late to start?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Trisha-MN, Apr 12, 2005.

1. Trisha-MN

Trisha-MN www.BilriteFarms.com

I usually start my seeds the 3rd week in March... well that didn't happen this year due to several factors and I pretty much thinking that it is too late to start them now (especially the tomatoes, peppers & eggplants). We have been unusually warm here with last week being in the 60's! I don't plant out tomatoes etc until Memorial weekend. That may have gotten my ahead of myself thinking its later than it actually is... what do you all think? If I'm too late to start my seeds, I'll just save them until next year.

Trisha-MN

2. woodsrunner

woodsrunner Well-Known Member

I decided last year to try starting my plants later this year. I just started my tomatoes and peppers yeasterday. I will be starting my eggplants and melons this weekend when I get more peat pots.

I'd rather work with smaller plants at transplant time. Last year by the time I planted they were 18" tall and falling over.

3. Nax

Nax Well-Known Member

The tomatos will be fine if you start them now.

If you're the type and have especially good luck with the peppers, they should be OK too, but, as you probably know, they can really be finiky about germinating. Usually you need 8 weeks with them, and that would put you the first/second week of June. We usually put out our tomatos and peppers the first week of June. Without fail we get a freeze warning Memorial Day weekend.

Eggplant I've never had luck with, so I can't say.

Good luck!

4. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

You can still start tomatoes now. A week ago, I had not a single seedling. Now have at least 65-70 with most being outside in a cold frame. Selected another half-dozen varieties tonight for second wave to be started next weekend. Last year, I was still starting tomato seeds up to 1 May and ended up with twice as many tomatoes than I could use. Remember that volunteers often ripen fruit at the same time as earlier started plants. Starting now, you won't have large plants but there will be minimal transplant shock. That's equal to 2 or 3 weeks right there!

Martin