Is it too hot???

Discussion in 'Goats' started by ScorpionFlower, Jun 28, 2006.

1. ScorpionFlower

ScorpionFlower Insanity prevails

I'm having a problem again with my goat giving less milk. I know she gets all the minerals/feed/water she wants as I personally check them 2-3 times a day. She's not acting sick in any way. Only two things can come to mind... the heat.... or the new dog. When I previously posted that she was giving less milk I was told that any changes could cause this. Her scheduele is exactly the same every day, where she goes when, what she eats, everything very routine. We've hit some high temps this past week, and we got a new dog. That's all I can think of. If it's the dog, then at least once the dog is routine to her then she should be back to normal right??? But if it's the heat.... is there something I can do??? SHe don't like getting misted with water, tried that. Help????

2. wardarden

wardarden Well-Known Member

Flower, I am in Tennessee and the humidity here is awful. I have a box fan running in my boat barn and during the heat of the day my 2 goats stay in the barn which is a little cooler. Have you had her in milk previous years to compare to? How long has she been milking?

3. ScorpionFlower

ScorpionFlower Insanity prevails

She's a yearling so this is her first year. I'm not able to weigh her milk, but I measure the amount she gives each milking. On average she gives 1.5 quarts of milk each milking. Now she's down to under 1 quart a milking. Unfortunately I don't have electricity run out to where the goats are at. Nor do I have a fan.... maybe I can have hubby pick one up and just run an extension cord out there.