Is it to early to set tomato plants out? Zone 7

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Ravenlost, Apr 6, 2005.

1. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

My tomato plants have gotten so big that I'm ready to just set them out in the garden. Any reasons why I shouldn't? I sure can't think of any!

2. Ed in S. AL

Ed in S. AL Well-Known Member

They should have already been in the ground. Mine have been in for a month and a half now, and are 3 feet tall with tons of maters setting . Get'em in the ground, cold weather is long gone.

3. JanaKaye

JanaKaye Active Member

Raven, i'm in Miss. also and I would love to have mine in the ground already, but its been way too wet here to get the garden planted!! And more storms today!!

4. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

I take it they are in some sort of container?

Just take them out every day, until you feel it's safe to leave them out.

Mine, started from seed a few weeks ago, are stating to come up. I have wonderful weather here in CA, so they were started outside. I rubbed the screen so you could have some of our warm weather.

5. Ravenlost

LOL...thanks Birdie_Poo!

JanaKaye...I know what you mean! And now I'd have to wade to the garden to plant the tomatoes and they'd probably just float away! It has rained something fierce since last night.

Ed...here in north Mississippi we had lows in the 30s last week. I don't think that's going to happen again so I'll probably go ahead and set these out as soon as I can wade back into the garden. My brother lives in Creola, AL and it's always 10-15 degrees warmer there than here.

They're in containers on the back porch. I haven't brought them in for several days now and they're doing fine, as are all the volunteer pumpkins I had to remove from the lawn. (They came up where the temporary chicken coop used to sit.)

6. Oxankle

Oxankle Well-Known Member

Raven;
    Been wet as can be here too. Did get the garden tilled last week and set out tomatos yesterday because more rain was forecast. Hail and rain last night, rail all day today.

I planted by the moon signs until I got to the tomatos. They went in because of the rain, good sign or no. I've not even checked to see the signs!
    Ox

7. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

Don't forget that you can plant tomatoes that are quite large by burying them nearly to the leaves, or in a treach with most of the plant laid down, then gently bent up so the foliage is above ground. The stems are said to root their entire length that is buried giving them exceptional growing power.

8. desnri

desnri Well-Known Member

I live in East Texas and most people around here try to get their tomatoes in the ground in March, but I think that is too early. There's always a frost here around Easter and since Easter came early this year, we had a frost in early April. I'm just now starting to put my tomatoes in the ground.

9. Helena

Helena Well-Known Member

OK you guys !! Show off with all your veggies ready for the garden. Just today I planted my seeds to start my seedlings inside..a month before I can get them into my greenhouse even. I'm so jealous !!! I believe I can still find some snow to send you for a few tomatoes !!

10. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm getting ready to mend the leaks on my Wall-o-waters and get some of my tomatoes out. I just LOVE these little tipis! Well, my tomato plants do, and I love to eat tomatoes! :D

This year, I started Buckabee 50 day. The package said, "Low germination." No kidding! I have ONE plant left -- but it's a happy plant! The other tomato seedlings are looking good, too: Delicious, Mortgage Lifter, and Garden Peach (doing the best of all so far). I started more tomato plants today: two types that Martin sent "extra" (Aztec and Al-something). I don't know how far they'll get, but I'm pretty sure I'll see some tomatoes from them.

Hope things dry out enough for you to get out and plant, Ravenlost. If not, you may have to consider planting rice!

Pony!

11. Ravenlost

I'm planting today since it's supposed to come storms tonight and tomorrow. Think I should cover the tomato babies to protect them from the heavy rain? I've been saving 2 liter coke bottles to use as protection (cut the bottoms out).

12. Christine in OK

Christine in OK Well-Known Member Supporter

I'd probably cover them, just take the lid off the bottle so if you don't get out to remove them they won't bake if it gets warm tomorrow.

I put mine in last weekend here in central OK - we're zone 7 too, and our last frost date is supposed to be April 1. It was a bit earlier than that this year, but even the feed store doesn't put out their tomato plants for sale until the weekend closest to April 1.

On a side note, my back-fence neighbor called me yesterday and asked if I wanted some of the triangular tomato cages she was done with. I said sure, just throw them over the fence. I had 6 of them out there this morning, 2 in perfect condition, and only 1 that may be beyond help. YEA - they're in much better shape than the ones I have been using, which must be 25 years old!

13. Ravenlost

Well, I decided not to set them out today. I'll wait until after the storms. I worked on getting squash and beans planted today.