Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am feeling a bit discouraged. We went to the local movie rental place tonight. 75% of the movies were horror movies with awful pics all over the cover. There were even movies like girls gone wild and the such right at eye level of small children. Is it still possible to raise morally responsible children this day and age? We went to a couple's house the other night and they described some terrible behavior of their teenage son then made the remark "kids will be kids". Is this true? Is it impossible to go back to manners and chivalry? I am frustrated with the attitude of parents. Parents that put their girls on birth control at puberty because they expect that behavior. What are your thoughts?

·
Halfway, OR & Wagoner, OK
3,306 Posts
I hear you. However, I found that being open and honest with my kids helped a whole lot. I chose not to shelter them from the world, but I certainly didn't just go along with everything that was being passed around--and I told them why.

I'll never forget one friend who was visiting and right in front of my teenage daughter berated me for not getting her birth control pills--after all she was a senior in high school. My daughter was present and she was soooo embarassed.

I told the lady in no uncertain terms that she could raise her daughter any way she liked, and I would raise mine MY way. Needless to say, my daughter went on to college, developed goals for herself, later married and had a career, and is now the happy mother a little baby boy. I'd have to say she had (has) more common sense than I ever did.

The other girl? A mess and a total problem to her parents and everybody else around her.

My boy? I didn't do as good with him--but he's a pretty good guy too. One thing I always told my kids was that I expected them to learn to THINK for themselves. I didn't intend to be a policeman to them and watch their every move. They'd have to learn right from wrong--and do it even when nobody was looking.

There seems to be a whole lot of influences out there lately--I'd say choose your community as best you can. At a certain age, community values either support or work against what you're trying to teach at home. And kids do listen to their peers at a certain age. Talk about stuff.

·
nosey, but disinterested
3,220 Posts
Homeschool if you don't want your kids to act like the animals in public schools that aren't taught manners, obedience, and family loyalty. Not all are like that, but the ones that are, are the loudest and attract the most attention and followers. Too many parents that think that since they both have to work the kids then have to raise theirselves. Not to mention the fact that a good swat on the fanny during those all important formative years is now detrimental to a parents ability to stay out of court. A certain amount of fear of disappointing the parents is a good thing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts