Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get a greenhouse to grow my own Cocoa, Coffee and Vanilla because I'm a chocoholic plus my dad is a coffee nut. As for Vanilla, We love baking with it.

But is it as practical to grow as is it fun to bake with the 3 ingredients?

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
45,145 Posts
I highly recommend that you go to YouTube and enter “how cocoa powder is made”

Then enter “how vanilla extract is made”

Then enter “grow coffee indoors”

Then on Google, enter “how much coffee does each coffee tree produce”

How old are you? I am getting child vibes, which is fine, but some of the answers to your questions are very easily accessed on Google and YouTube. ;)

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I highly recommend that you go to YouTube and enter “how cocoa powder is made”

Then enter “how vanilla extract is made”

Then enter “grow coffee indoors”

How old are you? I am getting child vibes, which is fine, but some of the answers to your questions are very easily accessed on Google and YouTube. ;)
I'm a 30-year old autistic woman. I post these questions on this forum because I have combed all over google and youtube to find answers to my questions and found zilch.

·
45,145 Posts
Ah. Welcome to the group!

I am very willing to help you in finding the answers. I think the suggestions above will guide you in the right directions.

Please let me know how I can further assist you. :)

·
Sock puppet reinstated
27,041 Posts
I want to grow cocoa, coffee and vanilla in a greenhouse because climate change will make those 3 crops extinct.
If climate change is going to make them extinct, you will have bigger problems then getting your coffee and cocoa fix.

A homesteader would adjust their lifestyle. Or instead they would store seeds or the actual products themselves.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If climate change is going to make them extinct, you will have bigger problems then getting your coffee and cocoa fix.

A homesteader would adjust their lifestyle. Or instead they would store seeds or the actual products themselves.
How do I get, grow, harvest and store cocoa, coffee and vanilla seeds on a seasonal basis?

·
Sock puppet reinstated
27,041 Posts
How do I get, grow, harvest and store cocoa, coffee and vanilla seeds on a seasonal basis?
The point is you can't do this unless you live in the right climate or can afford a huge greenhouse. A practical homesteader understands the limitations of their climate and budget.

Homesteaders who want to live off of only their own land give up certain luxuries.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
I want to grow cocoa, coffee and vanilla in a greenhouse because climate change will make those 3 crops extinct.
Climate change will cause serious issues with crop production but I personally wouldn’t worry about these specific crops at this time, instead you could search out long term storage of these items. Vanilla lasts forever in alcohol so that one is easy.
Cocoa is terribly difficult to grow in temperate climates (I’ve tried and failed each time)- the required year round temp being quite high that the chance of success is low to nil and even a power outage is enough to scratch that off the list unless you are in maybe southern Florida- and even then unsure.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Climate change will cause serious issues with crop production but I personally wouldn’t worry about these specific crops at this time, instead you could search out long term storage of these items. Vanilla lasts forever in alcohol so that one is easy.
Cocoa is terribly difficult to grow in temperate climates (I’ve tried and failed each time)- the required year round temp being quite high that the chance of success is low to nil and even a power outage is enough to scratch that off the list unless you are in maybe southern Florida- and even then unsure.
There has to be a solution to the cocoa, coffee and vanilla problem.

·
45,145 Posts
Jerry, the world’s climate has changed many times. Please don’t worry about all your favorite plants becoming extinct.

One thing that you must consider is how much work would be involved in each project? If each coffee tree only makes one pound of finished coffee beans, but requires a LOT of time and effort. I don’t know how much coffee you drink, but you would have to have 50 trees to have enough to drink and some to use to barter.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The point is you can't do this unless you live in the right climate or can afford a huge greenhouse. A practical homesteader understands the limitations of their climate and budget.

Homesteaders who want to live off of only their own land give up certain luxuries.
How would I give up cocoa, coffee and vanilla? I tried carob chips and it tasted vile. There has to be a palatable alternative to cocoa powder, instant coffee and vanilla extract.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts