Is it possible to move asparagus?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by willow_girl, Jan 16, 2005.

1. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

The original homesteader planted some asparagus in an unfortunate location. The row is about 12 feet long. I'd say it's probably been there 10-15 years. It still produces well, though!

However, I'd like to move it, WITHOUT obliterating the plants, if possible! I've thought about doing this for several years, and decided it's finally time as I just ordered 12 new plants and will have to prepare a trench for them.

Are the old plants likely to survive? (If not, I'll probably leave them for a few more years, 'til the new ones start producing!)

2. rio002

rio002 Well-Known Member

Yes you can move them, but there is Alot of digging involved because after that long the crowns are large, you have dig up the whole crown, replant at same depth in new location, they are very sturdy plants, but you'll still probably have a period of shock and lower production this year. Should work out fine though :)

3. diane

diane Well-Known Member

Yes, we have but as Rio said.....they don't do too well the first year after transplant and then they are fine.

4. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I bent a perfectly good garden fork doing this. If I had it to do again, I would have snipped the tougher roots with nippers.

From what I have heard, the year after transplanting ANY size root, you do not harvest.

5. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

Thanks ya'll! Think I will give it a shot ...

6. eggladyj

eggladyj Well-Known Member

This is great news for me! As I am in the same situation with an old stand of asparagus, except I've no idea how long it's been there!

My question is when is a good time to do the moving? Now or wait until it's spring? I live in zone 7, central Oklahoma if that matters.

Thanks!
    eggladyj

7. Bruce in NE

Bruce in NE Well-Known Member

If you stand is really old, it may not be wortth it to move them. When you can buy good roots for 25-30 cents apiece from growers like jerseyasparagus.com it might be a better idea to go this route and get fresh new roots. Depending on their age, those old roots might never fully recover from the shock.

If you're in zone 7 you probably could get away with moving them now, providing the ground is not frozen.

8. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

I WISH I were in zone 7!

Nope -- we're in 4, it's 3 degrees, and the ground is frozen like a rock! :haha:

9. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

Why not run two beds until the new one comes into its own? ANd then move the old ones to the end of the new bed to lengthen it, but no suffering if they don't survive and no year or mroe without asparagus?