Is it possible to make noodles w/o a "pasta maker" (m)

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Montana Mom, Dec 29, 2004.

1. Montana Mom

Montana Mom Well-Known Member

If so, how? If not, what is a good model pasta maker and where can I get one? I only need to make straight spagetti style noodles.

2. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Well, I HAVE used a rolling pin to flatten the dough. I use a skewer on each side of the dough to use as a rolling pin guide. The rolling pin will not flatten the dough any thinner than the skewers.

Now, I use a pizza cutter to cut the noodles, but I HAVE seen a home-made noodle cutter. The lady took an old fork and removed the two inner tines. She then bent the outer tines and put sewing bobbins on them. She could then cut more than one noodle at a time.

3. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

I personally like finer noodles. You can roll the dough really flat and then cut it into strips. This will make thinner noodles, as they plump when you boil them.

4. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

I bought mine at Tru Value hardware. Most hardware stores will order something like that for you. Mine is hand cranked and works just fine. I think it was under 25$ a few yrs back. You can frequently find them at garage sales and such. Once you make your own noodles the storebought will pale in comparison.

5. CraftyDiva

CraftyDiva Is anybody here?

After you roll out your dough, flour the surface of your rectangle roll up from short side jellyroll style and you can slice your noodles with a knife (thick or thin as you like). Unroll your circles and hang over a broomstick (between two chairs) to let dry or get a skin before cooking right away.

6. bare

bare Head Muderator

As a youngster I watched a man make spaghetti noodles, as I recall, by stretching his dough, doubling it back on itself repeatedly very quickly, then he slung it on the counter and it magically split into individual noodles.

I'm pretty sure I'm not imagining it but would sure like to know how it's done.

7. babetteq

babetteq Well-Known Member

I imagine that pasta makers have not been around as long as pasta... :) I had a pasta maker but lost it in a divorce (to a non cooking person :waa: ). I just cut it with a long knife after rolling it out. I usually don't make long noodles though, if I'm making pasta, I'm making tortellini, or ravioli or canneloni or somthing else more exciting to me.

babs

8. Kittikity

Kittikity Small scale homesteader

My grandmother used to roll her dough out onto the kitchen table and cut it into strips.. Not sure what she made the dough of though.. I'm sure you can find some recipes though..

9. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

the chinise make there noodles that way there a little more elastic

10. longshadowfarms

longshadowfarms Well-Known Member

My recipe is as follows: 3 eggs, well beaten, 1/2 tsp salt, 1 tbsp milk. Mix those well and add in 3-4 c whole wheat flour (or any other flour for that matter). Mix in flour until very stiff. Then kneed in enough flour so that you can roll it out without it sticking to everything (keep top and bottom well floured). Roll out very thin. Cut in stips or let it sit to dry.

I did this for lasagna the other day and just left large sheets. I didn't let it dry either, I just put it right into the lasagna pan (not precooked in water). Works great and the nice thing is that you can do it in 20 min or less and it doesn't cost a fortune for whole wheat noodles. I think the flour I'm using is also a better grade than what you'd normally get in whole wheat pastas since it tastes so much better than what I've bought in the store as whole wheat. That stuff tasted really grainy to me.

I have another recipe that uses just yogurt, salt and flour but I like the egg one better.

11. nodak3

nodak3 Well-Known Member Supporter

Wal-mart and Lehman's sell these handy little gizmos kind of like a multiple pizza cutter for around $3--work great.

12. diane

diane Well-Known Member

I make my own pasta, except for elbow type.

Basic Pasta

2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
    1/2 tsp. salt
    2 beaten eggs
    1/3 cup water
    1 tsp. olive oil

In a large mixing bowl stir together 2 cups of the flour and salt. Push the mixture against the edge of the bol, makeing a well in the center. I a small mixing bowl, combine eggs, water, and olive oil. Stir egg mixture into the flour-salt mixture all at once, mixing till the dry and liquid ingredients are well combined.
    Sprinkle the kneading serface with the remaining 1/3 cup flour. Turn dough out onto the floured surface. Knead till the dough is smooth and elastic (8-10 min.).
    Cover and let rest 10 minutes.
    Divide the dough into thirds or fourths. On a lightly floured surface roll each third of dough into a 16/12 in rectangle or each fourth of dough ito a 12 inch square. Cust and shape as desired. Can then be immediately cooked by adding to boiling water or broth or hung to dry.

13. electronrider

electronrider Well-Known Member

You all have me hungry for chicken and noodles now, Guess I just figured out what I am making tommorrow! I like the homeade noodles better than the store bought by far, the recipies listed above are almost identical to mine. Make sure you let them dry, or they will stick into one big gooey messs when ya cook em.

14. diane

diane Well-Known Member

"Make sure you let them dry, or they will stick into one big gooey messs when ya cook em"

Actually, I almost always cook mine fresh. Just add small amounts at a time and stir frequently and keep the liquid boiling. When you first drop them in they sink to the bottom but as they cook they float to the top.

15. ajaxlucy

ajaxlucy Well-Known Member Supporter

I have a funny recipe for Japanese udon noodles that calls for you to put the flour and everything into a plastic bag and walk on it until it's kneaded! Haven't made it yet, but maybe someday when I have little kids visiting I'll try it.

16. george darby

george darby Well-Known Member

the nice thing about home made is you can add spices and such to the doughand different flours i love my pasta maker it was a flea market find and a barganyou can roll them out like my grandmother did or even make spatzle....... which is a german noodle where the dough id grated thru a sieve into boiling water making a small random shape noodle taste is in the dough ingredients and the broth cooked in . give it a try and experement

17. Grandmotherbear

Grandmotherbear Well-Known Member Supporter

In my welfare-mom days I rolled em out with a rolling pin, cut em with a butter knife and hung them on the backs of the kitchen chairs to dry.

18. Montana Mom

Montana Mom Well-Known Member

19. PJM

PJM Active Member

This is an old and easy recipe - to each cup of flour (whatever kind) add one egg, keep half the egg shell and use it to measure one half shell each of water and oil. Stir together. Knead briefly and keep well floured. I usually do 4 cups of flour with four eggs, egg and oil. This is easy to remember and very versatile. You never need to cook the noodles for lasagne. I freeze the fresh noodles on a cookie sheet with wax paper between the layers. Spaghetti noodles take about three minutes to cook in boiling water.

20. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

Hey! Thanks for the neat recipe D! I have been wanting to try homemade noodles again and lost the old recipe from my Mom.

So, if you miss one of those fancy chickens, you know where to come looking!!! LOL :p

LQ :)