Is it possible for a single woman to do the self-sufficient thing?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by valsey, Jun 1, 2006.

1. valsey

valsey *

or am I nuts?

2. MarleneS

MarleneS Well-Known Member

Have you not made note of the number of single women homesteading from this board? First ones that come to my mind are LaDonna, Marvella, Vera, OkgoatGal was until a little over year ago....

Uh...that's a yes.

Hugs
    marlene

3. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

I don't know about a single woman.But I have a Married Woman in my House that does it just fine. :rolleyes: :p

big rockpile

4. rwinsouthla

rwinsouthla Well-Known Member Supporter

This is coming from a guy.....I think so. She would have to scale down some things and possibly get some help when big jobs come up, but we guys have to do that too.

My wife could do it but would get tired of it. That's just my wife though.

Give it a shot. Don't be afraid to ask for help.

5. valsey

valsey *

must be very strong women...

6. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Until I got MS, I did virtually all of the outside work. So, I am married but I worked alone.

The question to ask yourself is, what is stopping you? Can it be gotten around?

For me, I decided that I didn't want to be self sufficient, which meant that I worked at what I cared about but I was under no pressure to do it all.

For me, it means that I do NOT raise my own meat, but I DID have a big garden, put up a greenhouse, kept chickens, fruit trees, christmas trees, sold my excess blackberries, cut up fallen trees with my chainsaw, and burned the wood in the fireplace. Life is good.

If I HAD decided on self-sufficiency, I would have worked a lot harder and I would have given up things like bell peppers in the winter and such. Because I DO work outside, I have REALLY fresh food and life is much sweeter.

I really AM a hedonist: I want to enjoy life as much as possible! :p

7. flannelberry

flannelberry Pure mischief

You're only nuts if you let being a self sufficient single woman stop you. Go for it.

8. Terri

What makes you say so? Even a building goes up one board at a time! :shrug:

9. valsey

valsey *

The main hurdle for me is income. I know that I can never be FULLY self-sufficient - I can't make my own lightbulbs, tampons, electronic equipment or ballpoint pens. I can do a LOT, but not everything. Trouble is, how can a person work AND do all of the planting and birthing and tree cutting and fence mending and, and, and...?

10. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

smarter, not stronger. check my home page for some tips

11. valsey

valsey *

True - but who's holding the board on the other end? And who's holding the level.

I think men and women were created to 'fit' together because life is just easier with two.

12. Westwood

Westwood Well-Known Member

Single women, in my humble oppinion, are in the most important phase of their lives. They're in control of their own lives. You can do whatever you wish without anyone second guessing you but your "family".

You can do everything you decide you're capable of, without someone naysaying.

Do everything in your power to be self sufficient. If, in the scope of time, you meet someone with the same goals in life, that's someone you might include.

13. valsey

valsey *

Will do - what page in particular - didn't see anything at quick glance

14. bostonlesley

bostonlesley Guest

Sure it's easier if there are two people..but who's holding the board on the other end?? Gosh, a sawhorse, a chair, a barrel, a temporary nail..

Nobody was here the other day when I switched out the innards of the toilet plumbing, or figured out how the dickens I was going to get those three 50 pound bags of potting soil from point "A" to point "B" and I'm in a wheelchair..it just takes a few extra moments of thinking over "how" you're going to get "it" done..there ARE some things that I cannot do..but not many..and for those things, I'm thrilled that I'm blessed with some truly wonderful family and friends.Yet that's true of most people in any situation isn't it? Often, simply because there are two people together isn't a guarantee that they never will need outside assistance from family and friends with a project. :)

15. Qwispea

Qwispea Well-Known Member

Yes..it is possible for a single woman..to do anything she sets her mind to doing.

"nuts" has nothing to do with it.

16. Qwispea

Qwispea Well-Known Member

FWIW: ..even a married woman should be self-sufficient to a certain extent

17. Terri

It IS easier and it IS faster. It takes me longer. I don't mind.

With the greenhouse, I leveled the ground with all of my care. I trusted to the accuracy of the cuts to make the ridgepole level.

Instructions on how to put up a 16' ridgepole:

get up on a chair and lift one end of the pole into position. Secure with a bungee cord (I didn't do this but I know better now)

Move the chair and lift the other side of the ridgepole and set it into location. Use a bungee cord so it will not fall far if it comes loose.

Go back to the FIRST end, adjust the position, and use a drill to screw in the screws. Pull the side towards you as the drill presses away from you, so that everything stays where it needs to be. Do the same on the other end.

Men can cook and women can build. Now, I might cook better than a man and a man may build better than me, but a man can still cook and a woman can still build.

No woman should give up a dream of being self-sufficient because she is single.

18. Cheryl in SD

Cheryl in SD Living in the Hills Supporter

The lady I bought my first goats from is single and does it all. She works medical transcription from home for extra income. She sells her surplus from home and people travel miles to get it.

So, yes it can be done.

19. Terri

What folks are trying to say, Valsey, is that this is the only life you get.

If being self-sufficient is something that you would like to do, then go for it! There is a lot of experience here, and if we can give you good advice then we will.

If you do not WANT to do everything (and I do not), then don't. If you DO want to do a thing, then do! :hobbyhors

20. thedonkeyman

thedonkeyman Well-Known Member

"Women that get along, should live together"......thedonkeyman