Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,
i hate to waste food. this week was C-R-A-Z-Y, and i didn't get to some stuff in the fridge and now i want to know if it's too risky to use.

tuesday i pressure cooked a roast and got a quart of broth that i put in the fridge for the fat to rise to the top. (my habit is to take off the fat and bag up the broth for making flavored rice, soups, etc.) well, here it is saturday, i'm cleaning up the fridge and i find it pushed back behind the milk.

it smells okay. is it okay to freeze? should i use it for tonight's supper, making rice or something? or should i just pitch it?

thanks.
deb

·
wendys_goats
398 Posts
I would think it would be okay to eat or freeze

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
I'd skim the fat off of it, bring it to a boil for a few minutes again to make sure you've killed anything...then cool and freeze...or use it. But as long as it doesn't smell bad, boiling will take care of anything else. I'm doing the same thing today with a pot of chicken stock. :p

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks everybody. i don't post too much, but it's great to know there's so many friendly and helpful folks out there.
deb

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
naturewoman said:
I'd skim the fat off of it, bring it to a boil for a few minutes again to make sure you've killed anything...then cool and freeze...or use it. But as long as it doesn't smell bad, boiling will take care of anything else. I'm doing the same thing today with a pot of chicken stock. :p
Good advice - I'm also doing the same with chicken stock tonight

1 - 6 of 6 Posts