Is it ok to ask about a houseplant?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by tobo6, Aug 2, 2005.

1. tobo6

tobo6 Well-Known Member

I have a feeling I am not suppose to talk about houseplants in here. :eek:

I had free reign to pick thru someone's old sun room after they moved and left a bunch of plants. Unfortunatly, no one was there for me to ask what the plants were! I have one that is puzzling me...

This is a hanging plant and I'm not sure if it's dying, or dead, or just the freaky way it's suppose to look, lol. It has no leaves. The best way to describe it is....you know when you eat grapes and you are left with a stem? The whole plant looks like a bunch of grape stems. It's really big and when hanging up, hangs down at least 2 1/2 feet. The plant starts out a yellow color and at the ends it turns a little yellow green color. The plant breaks easy when you bend it, but it feels alive. The whole thing is kind of freaky looking to tell the truth, lol.

Anyone have any idea what kind it is..or should I toss it in the garbage?

2. Gayle in KY

Gayle in KY Gadabout

Of course you can ask about houseplants here!

I don't know what kind of plant you have there. I'm thinking it might be some sort of orchid. Could you post a picture?

3. tobo6

tobo6 Well-Known Member

Ok, trying to post a picture. I had to laugh Gayle, because I can't picture a beautiful orchid on this plant, lol....let's see if I can post it!
    [​IMG]

The kids keep asking if it's going to come alive and attack, lol.
    Ok, here is a close up of the plant...
    [​IMG]

Ok, the pictures are small for some reason, although it took forever for my slow computer to upload to photobucket. I don't know how to make them bigger.

4. Gayle in KY

Gayle in KY Gadabout

Ooooooooo...how unfortunate! I was picturing something less branchy. My orchid looked like dead sticks, but it bloomed every spring (well, until I accidentally knocked it off the windowsill and broke it all to pieces).

I have never seen a plant like this. It's rather alien-like, isn't it? Hopefully, someone else will know because, now, you have me curious about it, too.

Oh, I tried to enlarge it for you, but all it did was get blurry.

5. plantaholic

plantaholic Active Member

I have a firestick plant that looks like this. The more sun it gets the ends turn reddish orange. It is a succulent/cacti type plant. Enjoy!

6. tobo6

tobo6 Well-Known Member

You guys are great!

Plantaholic-you saying it was in the succulent/cacti family helped a lot. It's not a firestick plant, but after posting on another forum for cacti plants I found out that it is a Rhipsalis cereuscula! I wouldn't have thought to post over there. I had no idea the plant was in the cacti family because it feels different, lol.

Gayle...you wouldn't believe how many plants I have killed because I knock them over and they break up! I try now to keep most of mine hanging up now, so all I hurt is my head when I walk into them, lol.

Ok, from what I have learned about the Rhipsalis cereuscula...they like light, but not direct light. Does ok in shady areas. Because I am in the PNW I can keep it in the house, or put it out in the summer. I was told it was a healthy looking plant, so my kids will just have to get use to this freaky looking plant :dance: It also blooms little white flowers all over it. I guess in the rain forest they grow up in tree's, so they are protected from sun and get a mist. They grow to be huge, so I'm going to have to find a nice place in the house for it to give it room.

Thanks!!!!