Is it MASTITIS???

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Milk n' Honey, Aug 24, 2006.

1. Milk n' Honey

Milk n' Honey Well-Known Member

I have a new Nubian doe. I noticed her right teat had a dimple in it so I felt it and it was hard. The kids, who are 5 months old and should be weaned but aren't, are only sucking on the other side. Today, I checked on her and the dimple is now an open sore. There are bugs swarming it. I thought it was scar tissue but now I'm concerned that she has a current case of mastitis. I don't know what to do. It looks kinda like an ulcer. She also has hardness in her udder and a lump in her udder. Does this sound like mastitis to you? What should I do with her?

2. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

Have you tried milking out that side? If so, what does the milk look like? I have test strips I use to test the milk for mastitis. Since I can't see your doe, I can only make an educated guess. Your doe likely has a staph infection on that side of her udder. Since it is sore, she's not letting her kids nurse on that side. The infection probably started when the kids unjured the teat. If this were my doe, I would pull the kids and keep them in a separate pen. It's time to wean them. They're being too rough on mom. I would test both sides for mastitis and if she has it, treat it with mastitis meds, such as Today. I would milk out both sides twice daily and keep that sore cleaned. I use Nolvasan. I would also check with your vet for something to put on it to keep the bugs off. My vet had me treat staph in the udder with both Penn G and Excenel. This cleared up the problem in my doe.

3. Milk n' Honey

Milk n' Honey Well-Known Member

OK, I tried milking it out and some stuff gushed out that was about like yogurt. It looked like a tad bit pink. I asked my husband and he thought it was slightly pink also. It grossed me out. She isn't used to being milked so she was jumping around and acting nuts. I didn't know what it was and was afraid to squeeze anymore out until I knew what to do. Is this something that I should squeeze all the way out? Should I take a sample to the vet or something? Sounds like mastitis right? I have never dealth with this so I don't know what to do.

4. AllWolf

AllWolf We love all our animals

If it is mastits you better start treating NOW because wait to long you can cost the life of your goat. Heck buy a CMT KIT and test the doe. It is very easy to use. Most the time sign of this is a hard udder, Hot udder, pain where the Doe will not stay still lite pink blood in milk..

MASTITIS DETECTION
    Clinical mastitis (that which is observable) is characterized by visible abnormalities in the udder or milk. These may vary greatly in severity during the course of the disease. Clinical cases can be defined as subacute (mildly clinical) when symptoms include only minor alterations in the milk and the affected quarter such as clots, flakes, or discolored secretion. The quarter may also be slightly swollen and tender.
    Acute mastitis cases are characterized by sudden onset, pain, heat, swelling, redness and reduced as well as altered milk secretion from affected halves. Abnormal secretion in the form of clots, flakes, or watery milk is the clinical sign most consistently observed. Depending upon severity and the causative agent, acute mastitis cases may have significant systemic involvement characterized by fever, depression, and weakness. In its most severe form it can be fatal. Such cases call for immediate attention.. No waiting to see if it is or isn't it..

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/DS120

Good Luck on your goats.. Hope you get it treated very soon...

5. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

this sounds like an infection (mastitis) to me. bacteria find an ideal inviroment in milk. the best thing you can do is milk her out completly as often as you can. (every two hours maybe?) be gentle because she is very sensitive in this area. bring a sample from the milk to your vet to have it checked what kind of bacterial you are dealing with.