Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
40,193 Posts
Fritos, Doritos, animal crackers, peanut butter sandwich crackers or cookies, graham crackers, stale pecans, raisins, banana peels, apples, oranges, etc.

We have an orange tree next to the goat pen. The goats BEG for oranges. :)

·
hillbilly in training
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, so he did it again tonight, and I thought 'well, there's some animal crackers in the pantry...' so I grabbed a few. I held them out in my hand and Joanie sniffed at them and tried to get one but dropped it. Chachi didn't even try. I held them in my fingers, again a lot of sniffing and some lipping, but these goats don't know how to eat animal crackers. I had tried carrots once and got about the same response.

·
STILL not Alice
19,808 Posts
I think he's marking you for the goat uprising: "Don't kill this one. I'm training him to give me snacks that I like." ;)

Our goats love over-ripe bananas, fruit scraps, a nibble of scratch grains from my pocket, and anything they aren't supposed to have.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I have a Guernsey doe who does that every time I go in the pen. Plus her kids do the same thing, I think they have itchy heads and your leg makes a nice soft rubbing post.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
These actions are common throughout the animal kingdom.The animal is expressing their submissiveness to the dominant BUck/doe.They are not marking you,they are marking themselves with your sent so that they are known by that scent of the dominant animal.They are saying"I am part of this herd!"
Many times they will run through your urine stream to mark themselves as belonging to you.Goats,dogs and about anything else that has the pack or herd instinct display these actions.Just enjoy the fact you have been chosen as their leader!

Wade

1 - 16 of 16 Posts