Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My name is Debi, or if you want to be proper, Debra. My name is not now, nor has it ever been Deb. I despise that name. Always have.

Well, to be honest, no one has really ever called me anything but Debi, or Debra, until we moved to Nebraska.
I introduce myself as Debi and every stinking single time, they call me DEB!:yuck::yuck::yuck:

What in the world is up with that?
Is it a regional thing? I've lived in California, Washington, and Texas, 9 other countries even, and was always Debi, now I'm Deb.
UGH!:yuck:
Even when I correct them, they call me that, I just don't get it....:cool:

·
Premium Member
4,577 Posts
I'm not sure if it's a regional thing or not. My mom was a Debbie, but when she turned a certain age (not sure...maybe 35 or 40?) she said she was too old to be a Debbie and now everyone calls her Deb. :D

·
Premium Member
6,010 Posts
I don't know if its regional, but its rude to continue using Deb when you specifically asked they call you Debi. I do agree with MDKatie tho. All the Debbie's, Kenny's, Susie's, etc. I knew as children now as adults go by Deb or Debra, Ken or Kenneth, Sue or Susan.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can see that, the age thing I mean.
But for crips sake, DEB? EWWWWWW!!!!

Debra is just fine.
I don't know, maybe it's me, but Deb just sounds like you can't finish the name, or have a speech impediment or something. Mind you if you do that's fine, (good grief don't anyone freak because I said that), but seriously, if you are introduced as a Sue, Susan, Whatever you, should expect to be called by that name.

Don't you just love First World Problems. LOL!!!:facepalm:

·
Wait................what?
2,257 Posts
Try being a Kathryne. Everybody, and I mean everybody, calls me Kathy. That is NOT my name and I don't like it! Our 4-H club gets T-shirts every couple of years and one year they wanted to put names on them. They asked us to write down our name so that it would be printed correctly. I STILL got Kathy on the shirt. :facepalm:

No offense to all you Kathy's out there. :D

Oh, and my mom is Debby or Deborah and she usually gets Debby. Her brother is the only one I know of who regularly calls her Deb.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I feel your pain. My name is Daniel and I will introduce myself as Dan but there are still people that insist on calling me Danny. I'm not 8 years old I'm a grown ass man. It is kinda rude if you tell them your name and then they proceed to butcher it.

·
Registered
16,519 Posts
My name is Callie and no one can pronounce it. :sob:
No one can spell it. :sob: I've never found my name pre-printed on a pencil or necklace. :sob:

So while I feel your pain- oh well. There aren't enough hours in the day for me to worry about the little things. A friend, I'd correct until they got the picture.

Perhaps you can just consider these people as trying to be efficient by knocking off that last bit?

·
Premium Member
4,577 Posts
I agree it's rude if you ask them to call you something, and they continue to get it wrong. I get called all sorts of wrong things, but as long as it's close I'm ok with it. As long as it's not Katelyn. I can't stand that name for some reason. :D

·
Premium Member
11,250 Posts
Just call anyone who refuses to call you by your name by either "George" or "Martha."

When they ask, just smile and say "Oh I can't be bothered calling everyone by the name they want me to use. That gets too confusing. George and Martha works just fine. I call those who don't like it Smeghead."

·
Premium Member
6,079 Posts
I like humor when I meet people but I never mess with someone's name. I never make fun of someone's name to remember it. I may ask someone to spell their name to see if their is a unique spelling. Helps me remember. I do not change the name.

I said to a customer named Samantha, "Do you know how hard it is to not call you Sam?" She offered that I could call her Sam, but I call her Samantha. With permission in an informal setting, I would call her Sam.

I will be thinking about Nancy Sinatra and Name Game on the way home from work. Thank you.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I'm Kris. I like Kris. I do not like my full name as it feels too proper, and I'm never a Krissy or a Kristy.

People still repeatedly insist on those variations though. Krissy is a big one here because it's cutesy and can be twangy, I guess. I correct the unknowing offenders politely but repeat offenders that are doing it to be rude just get ignored.

·
Registered
770 Posts
My name is Callie and no one can pronounce it. :sob:
No one can spell it. :sob: I've never found my name pre-printed on a pencil or necklace. :sob:
I found our name...once. lol I still have that keychain even though it's almost 20 years old. I don't understand what's so hard about Callie - no, it's not Collie. Really?!

·
Registered
8,229 Posts
At least you know your name. My father thought he was Carl, after the Swedish King, but when he joined the Army in WWI he found his birth certificate was written "Charlie". That took a little getting used to I'm sure.

·
Wait................what?
2,257 Posts
That's funny about the Callie thing being rare. A few years ago we had a foster daughter named Callie. She was one of 2 in her grade one of 11 in the school system. In a town of 3000. Maybe a local oddity?

·
Premium Member
15,981 Posts
Callie, I feel your pain. All my life I got, “Laura?” No, Maura, with an M. “How do spell that?”….

My DD is Christine, how hard is that? Her father’s family insists on calling her Chris or Chrissy. Her name is Christine, always has been.

·
Premium Member
25,198 Posts
There's really no short-cut for my name but my mother in law keeps trying. She sometimes uses her nephew's name instead. I don't know why but it upsets dh way more than it upsets me. It beats the name my grandma used to use, her 2 oldest daughters then mine, all strung together. It was funny at times.

If someone introduces themselves to me as one name, that's the name I use. Unless I come up with a better one. :D I work with a Carolyn who I keep calling Courtney.

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
There is one gal I know that continues to call me Qwendolyn, even though I have told her a million times it is just Wendy.

I have a daughter, Rebekah. People tell her that her name is spelled wrong. That's how it was in the Bible I looked in. She goes by Bekah, not Becky. I have a Katherine. She is Katie, not Kathy.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts