Is it legal to raise taxes without a vote?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by ceresone, Nov 2, 2006.

1. ceresone

ceresone Well-Known Member Supporter

:shrug: Our County Commisioners met a few months ago, and voted, among themselves, (about 4 men?) to raise our property taxes, by 8 cents per $100 evaluation. according to letter in paper yesterday. residents didnt get to vote!
    , the presiding comissioner salart is $30,380 per year, associate comm. $28,380. they are required to work only 2 days a week., paid mileage driving to and from work, and in addition are paid mileage to check roads.this is income tax free.this is a quote from the Daily Quill, in Howell County, Mo.
    reason i'm asking in this forum if its legal--i dont want arguements started as sometimes happens elsewhere--(only kidding, kinda)

2. michiganfarmer

michiganfarmer Max Supporter

the people who write the laws can make anything legal or ilegal that they want.
    As far as I know, yes, it is legal

3. Pink_Carnation

Pink_Carnation Well-Known Member

Depends on your state constitution. In our state the people can vote down a tax and the legislators then vote it in.

4. Gercarson

Gercarson Well-Known Member Supporter

In most cases the commissioners have kept the taxes in line with their area. They have a "cap" as to what they can legally charge. The state has probably given them the authority to tax their constituents at a certain level. They don't always do that since it is not a mandate, but a choice. The county commissioners in my area have always come to the citizens for a vote even though they don't actually have to - they have always been voted down. I would talk to my commissioner to see how high they can legally raise the taxes and just in general voice my dissatisfaction with a reminder that they must be elected and that I am a voter.

5. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

Same deal here, county commissioners vote on the budget and the tax rate.

6. SteveD(TX)

SteveD(TX) Well-Known Member

I've never heard of the public "voting to raise taxes". So yes, it is legal. You voted to put the people in charge. And the people in charge are the only ones who vote to raise taxes.

7. Old Vet

Old Vet In Remembrance

Don't know where you are but in Arkansas The miliage rate is the same without a vote of the people. But the property can be reassest every year so you pay the larger amount. You can also object to the reassemamet then the next year they reasest it again and you pay more.

8. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

You got to vote for the commisioners. If they aren't doing their job properly, vote them out the next time.

9. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

They can do it unless its specifically prevented by law, as far as I know.
    Thats what they do,taxes and budgets.

BTW,nothing dirtier than county politics in my experience,they think they are Lords.

BooBoo

10. seanmn

seanmn Well-Known Member

BTW,nothing dirtier than county politics in my experience,they think they are Lords.

Same problem in my area!

11. anniew

anniew keep it simple and honest Supporter

Most states publish county codes, township codes, etc. which have been approved by the state legislature. Find out how to get some of these publications and you'll know what is legal and what isn't. There are also usually sunshine laws (meetings must be open to the public) and open records laws (which give citizens access to public records). If you don't know what the laws are, it is very hard to argue with what is going on.
    Ann

12. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Our supervisors vote in secret,right in front of you,on computers.Then they announce if it passed or failed.YOU DO NOT GET TO SEE WHO VOTED FOR WHAT,OR WHO ABSTAINED.

Seems pretty dirty to me.Hard to vote one out,when you dont even know how they vote!
    This is in the largest County in the United States,so dont be surprised when it makes its way to a county near you. :flame:

BooBoo

13. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Well-Known Member Supporter

Here in my county, the commissioners cannot raise taxes. This has them very upset.