Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember years ago when the American flag was flown at half staff under certain circumstances, like the mourning of an ex president. Now it seems like it’s at half staff more often than not, at least here in Wisconsin. I know the governor here calls this too, so maybe it’s more just my state than in the entire country.
Honestly though, it’s done so often it kind of kills the whole meaning of it for me, and I don’t even pay attention as to why. I remember a month or two ago that the governor here ordered it flown at half staff for a firefighter who died of Covid in the line of duty? Really? No disrespect to the firefighter or his family, but it kind of waters the whole thing down for me, and now it’s just the cause or mourning of the week.

·
Registered
Acta non verba
1,849 Posts
We joke about this at our municipal office all the time. It's down more than it's up. I forgot to hoist it back up after Senator Reed's event passed but figured it was apropos for MLK Day.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Goes hand in hand with the conflation of everything with anything. Look at Brandon's last speech where he conflated disagreeing with him about voter ID requirements to being a confederate traitor.

·
Registered
18,721 Posts
I remember years ago when the American flag was flown at half staff under certain circumstances, like the mourning of an ex president. Now it seems like it’s at half staff more often than not, at least here in Wisconsin. I know the governor here calls this too, so maybe it’s more just my state than in the entire country.
Honestly though, it’s done so often it kind of kills the whole meaning of it for me, and I don’t even pay attention as to why. I remember a month or two ago that the governor here ordered it flown at half staff for a firefighter who died of Covid in the line of duty? Really? No disrespect to the firefighter or his family, but it kind of waters the whole thing down for me, and now it’s just the cause or mourning of the week.
I joke a lot on here but you bring up a serious topic. Instead of a joke I would have to say you are spot on.

In my opinion.

·
Registered
12,248 Posts
Most around here are upside down again.
Yup - been flying mine upside down since the last election.

Lot's don't know what that stands for....."Hey, you hung your flag upside down."

·
Don't let "good enough" be the enemy of perfect.
2,159 Posts
Here, too.

Anybody know why they were at half mast yesterday, 14 January 2022?

·
Registered
37,593 Posts
You are right.

Most of the time I don't know why it is half mast.

I think our nation is missing its center. We use everything to try to find it so it means nothing

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
^ many people are missing their center.
The micro reflected in the macro.

When the people find their center it will all balance out.
Problem is, some don't know they have a center.
Have to start there.

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Mine is not even flying. The pulley broke at the top and I have to pull out the 30 foot pole...

·
Don't let "good enough" be the enemy of perfect.
2,159 Posts
What state? Apparently half the nation was at half mast.
Mississippi.

I found a great web site for info on why flags fly at half staff in various states and the nation: Link

----------------------------------------
January 13, 2022 - Half-Staff Alert - Entire United States
Interment has been annouced for January 13, 2022.
A PROCLAMATION ON THE DEATH OF HARRY REID

From humble roots in Searchlight, Nevada, Harry Reid rose to become one of the great Senate Majority Leaders in American history. He was a man of action, and a man of his word — guided by faith, loyalty, and unshakeable resolve.
Throughout his long career of public service, Harry Reid was instrumental in passing landmark legislation that made a positive difference in the lives of countless Americans and made our Nation stronger and safer. His devoted service to our Nation was not about power for power’s sake. It was about the power to do right by the American people.

As a mark of respect for his memory, I hereby order, by the authority vested in me by the Constitution and the laws of the United States of America, that on the day of his interment, the flag of the United States shall be flown at half-staff at the White House and upon all public buildings and grounds, at all military posts and naval stations, and on all naval vessels of the Federal Government in the District of Columbia and throughout the United States and its Territories and possessions until sunset on such day. I also direct that the flag shall be flown at half-staff for the same period at all United States embassies, legations, consular offices, and other facilities abroad, including all military facilities and naval vessels and stations.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this twenty-ninth day of December, in the year of our Lord two thousand twenty-one, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and forty-sixth.

JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR.
--------------------------------

Silly me. I thought Harry Reid was a TV news reporter. :)

Check out this New York reason: January 6, 2022 - Half-Staff Alert - New York

Reactions: Pony
1 - 20 of 20 Posts