Is it just me?...(re: clutter)

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by New Mexican, Sep 19, 2004.

1. New Mexican

New Mexican Well-Known Member

or could it be a "homesteader thing"? Everywhere I look, there is clutter amongst us!

Just yesterday at Barnes and Noble I found this book called Clearning the Clutter. It all but jumped into my hands!! LOL!! I NEED this book.

I want to do this SO badly but I'm overwhelmed everywhere I look in this house. We want to do a kitchen/dining room/living room remodel/renovation, but NEED to unload STUFF first!

With this new job search on my current "to do" list, I want to continue the decluttering into my home life as well. I mentioned to DH that the reason why we feel so tired is because of our CLUTTERED house!!

Have you de-cluttered? Do you WANT to declutter? If you are NOT a clutterer, how do you NOT be one??

HELP, HELP, HELP!!!

2. Gayle in KY

Gayle in KY Gadabout

Isn't it ironic that, to clear the clutter, you bought more? ;) Most likely, all of that information is online.

3. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

I haven't found a cure yet. :D

My wife is beginning to get peeved over my recent trips to the dump.I keep finding good things in the metal bend and dragging them home.Usually lawn mowers (that just need a bit of tinkering).But i usually get them fixed and give them away to friends that could use them.Notice i did usually lawn mowers i have found some other goodies that haven't found a use yet but they where just to good to get threw away. :D

This clutter/packrat type behavior is in the breeding i think.I come from a long line of them.I am a bit better than the last so hopefully my son will develop even less of the symptoms of this disease. :D If not maybe he can find a women with the same incurable disease, open a junk yard together and live happily ever after. :D

4. Sarah J

Sarah J Well-Known Member

Sooo....is there something *wrong* with having too much clutter? Uh oh - I think I'm in trouble now. :rolleyes:

I actually attempt to "clear the clutter" twice a year (roughly). I've discovered, in the process, that it isn't possible with my lifestyle. I am a packrat. so is my family. I look at something that I haven't used in a year and throw or give it away - two weeks later I regret it. I've suddenly discovered that I needed it or it would have been handy this time. Having *learned* from this experience, the only things that get tossed are things that have been here for five years or more, are *not* family heirlooms or are otherwise worthless to us. everything else gets put somewhere "safe", which usually means you can't find it when you need it because you've forgotten where it is. :haha:

Yes, you can clear the clutter and simplify your home and yard...and then that special project comes up and you're missing the one thing that you need, yet *had* only two months ago and had decided you'd never use it.

I gave up. Not entirely, but I certainly don't try to clear as much as I used to. I have succmbed to my inevitable destiny of pack-rat-hood.

However, it CAN be done - I know people who have done it. I still don't know how, but I do know that they've done it! ;)

-Sarah

5. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

NM, I have a HORRIBLE time with clutter.

:rolleyes:

I joined Flylady ( http://www.flylady.net ) a year or so ago and, even though I have a long way to go ( :rolleyes: :D ), it's so much better.

Today (thanks to a discussion on Gen Chat), I've thrown out an old vacuum cleaner and a big light that plug into a car cigarette lighter --- have no idea where they came from, have had them for years and never used them --- and wouldn't use them --- so into the thrift store pile they went.

Also am tossing two old canvas duffle bags I have NEVER used --- and once again, have NO idea where they came from. And three old shirts.

That's today alone.

:rolleyes:

This has been going on over a year.

But it's soooo much better! If you're like me and have mountains of stuff, Flylady can be a real help.

The value of Flylady is it gets you into a routine, so it becomes second nature to toss stuff and (almost better) second nature not to get it in the first place. Lots of emails, true --- but just delete those you don't use.

6. Gayle in KY

Gayle in KY Gadabout

I was forced to clean out my cupboards (under the kitchen sink and the one with pans) today, because DH is replacing my countertops and sink. Even though I declutter regularly, although not thoroughly, I had stuff squirrelled away in there that I will never use. I threw out some of it. :rolleyes:

Clutter is a serious problem for me. I have 5 kids at home and we're all packrats. We live in 2 trailers and it is wall-to-wall junk! Now, I don't keep newpapers or magazines, old bottles and jars (anymore), boxes and bags, but I do keep things we might need and would cost money to get. I, also, keep every book that ever falls into my hands (I have thousands!). I, also, keep furniture. Some of it we use, some is waiting for refurbishing. My house is like a maze.

7. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

I have horrid allergies to dust mites. And I used to have thousands of books, too.

Last summer, though, my dust mite allergy collided with my allergy to ragweed and I went into anyphlactic shock.

It pained me no end, but I started tossing the books --- plus every letter evr sent to me since I was in about 5th grade :D , 10 years of checks and bank statements ( ? :rolleyes: ), interesting things cut out of the newspaper by not only me, but my mother and one grandmother and a friend who likes to send me these interesting things out of the newspaper every few days (?) ...

In any case, I still have a ways to go (think: four filing cabinets and one entire large closet filled with papers [??]) (and three very tall library shelves packed with books) --- but my allergies have already receded to almost normal. :)

It was really hard, though, as I'd been raised that keeping books was next to Godliness. :haha:

8. Gayle in KY

Gayle in KY Gadabout

Countrygrrrl, I'm going to take that as a serious warning. I, too, suffer from allergy to dust mites and other airborne allergens. I've had anaphylaxy (from eating chocolate, when I knew I shouldn't) and it isn't fun. I have as much paper clutter as you had, if not more. I have numerous boxes full of papers in the storage room (receipts, kids' schoolwork, attendance records, owner's manuals, and lots of other things), 2 file cabinets (of who-knows-what), drawers and shelves in the kitchen (old cards and letters), and 16 bookcases, packed to the max (even stuff piled on top). Maybe it's time to clear the decks. Thanks for the wake-up call.

9. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

It's amazing what a difference it's made, Gayle. I still have problems with allergies, but nowadays, I can pinpoint almost exactly what's triggering them. before, it was almost nonspecific.

And nowadays, I have even more reason to do it --- first, we had a fire in a house in Tulsa --- the house was fortunately sparsely furnished --- and then, I keep running into people who've been bitten by brown recluses (my cousin's daughter, two students, etc, all fairly recently). Brown recluses love clutter, esp. boxes of old papers. :rolleyes:

10. deberosa

deberosa SW Virginia Gourd Farmer!

I joined! I am a major pack rat. :eek: I used to move every 2-4 years and would pile out mountains of stuff for yard sale. Now I plan on staying put and I also live on 4.5 acres - this could get interesting! I am already figuring how I can build a large storage building.

My goal for the winter was to move to the garage all of the unneeded stuff to prepare for a yard sale. We'll see how that goes. I am especially bad with paper books and information, but also have countless craft projects going on too! I don't have a routine, I've moved around so much in life that a routine never developed.

I even told the sellers of my current place to leave all of the stuff they had here so I would have more treasures. :haha:

11. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

It was allergies that prompted me to rethink the clutter. Yes, if I get rid of it I will prob want it in two weeks, BUT, with too much clutter I can't find what I need either. So what use is it to keep stuff when I can't sort thru it and know what I have? I've been decluttering pretty often for several years now, and I'm not done yet! Before moving again I'm going to get rid of lots more of the stuff. The local thrift shop can use it. I don't need it in my way and catching dust. I've got rid of most of the knick knacks and don't miss them. I'm trying to part with more of my books. I can't read them anymore anyway, so why hang on to them?

What it boils down to is; life is too short to waste on being a caretaker of junk!

12. New Mexican

New Mexican Well-Known Member

Yep! and I thought of that very thing while I was in the store. However, I KNOW me! I'm so tired of the computer (eyes are bothering me) that when I revert back to old-fashioned ways :eek: like reading a REAL book, I tend to pay attention. Plus, I have it staring me right in the face.

I'll also have a nice, bound reference.

I know, I know.........it's the "clutterer" nature......Justifying it to ME!!! :haha:

13. deberosa

Yep and if I don't buy the book, I print out the web site info and pile those up. :no:

14. Gayle in KY

Gayle in KY Gadabout

I really shouldn't have said anything. I print stuff off the computer for the same reasons. :eek: I have a dozen BIG binders full of articles I've printed.

15. deberosa

WOW you have yours in binders! I am impressed! :eek:

16. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

My sister does, too. :haha:

It's a riot --- you can't hardly walk through her house --- and the living room is stacked high everywhere with carefully clipped articles on organization and housekeeping, binders full of ways to organize, boxes filled with newspaper and magazine stories about why she's disorganized, piano which is unusable because of all the carefully studied articles and books about organization ...

:haha:

She finds my place scary since I started getting organizrd. She sees me throwing out a piece of paper, I see the anxiety breaking out and sure enough, if I leave the room, she'll fish the paper out of the trash to make sure it's not important.

:haha:

17. Gayle in KY

Gayle in KY Gadabout

OMG, countrygrrrl, I'm your SISTER!!!

18. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

:haha: It's a riot, isn't it?

Going to my sister's house is a bit like an archaeological dig --- I've found clothes of mine there from when I was about 9-10 years old.

The house I'm getting ready to sell, I co-own with her. Now this TOTALLY drives her crazy, but what I've learned to do there is this: things that need to be thrown away, I load into my car and bring back here to put in the trash.

Drives her crazy. :D But hey, that's what sisters are for!

19. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

I have to make sure DD sees NOTHING that doesn't look like trash to her being tossed. She will drag everything out of the can and put it somewhere in the house! Drives me nuts!

20. cloverfarm

cloverfarm Well-Known Member

I think I am an emotional clutterer. Some things I just don't want to deal with.

I start to de-clutter my desk and got into one stack and found a congratulations card from MIL about discovering baby #3 on the way. Would have made for 3 babies in less than 4 years.

I was the only one happy about this pregnancy and soon after receiving the card, lost the baby :waa: So that card reminds me of three emotional blows that came 1-2-3, discovering the pregnancy, getting a lot of grief over it (not from DH, though) then losing it.

So ... who knows what else is in there. After finding that card I'm having a hard time getting ramped up to declutter again.

I wonder if other people have clutter for that reason -- not that they have decided to seek and save whatever it is, but just don't want to deal with stuff.

Ann