Is it just me or are people living in the country more friendly

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Jerr4, Aug 29, 2005.

1. Jerr4

Jerr4 Poems Pears and Promises

:shrug: My wife and I are currently building a home on 8 acres in Southern Indiana and everytime we are down to work on the home a new neighbor stops by. Usually it is to just say "Hi" or ask if we need any help. We currently live in Indianapolis in a subdivision and we know more of our neighbors near our property than we do in our subdivision. I think it is amazing that you can live 30 feet from someone and not know them but, move to the country and live 1 mile away and know them and there family. What a strange time we live in. Thanks for listening

Jerry

2. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

In my little neighborhood people wave at you,think the smaller the town,closer folks get.

BooBoo

3. Ann Mary

Ann Mary Well-Known Member Supporter

In the country it is WISE to be friendly to EVERYONE even if you don't know or like them. You never know when you will need their help (as fighting a field fire) or need them to look after your critters while you are gone. If you aren't friendly why should they be...besides it's the neighborly thing to do! :) In answer to your question...generally...people in the country are much friendlier than town folks....people wave to me all the time that I don't know from Adam but I am sure to wave back....someday I might meet them and even if I don't I don't want the "neighborhood grapevine" to pass around that "those folks aren't friendly".

4. glwalker

glwalker Well-Known Member

As the country tends to be safer, I think that country people don't have so much fear of each other that people might have in the city. Also, country life doesn't tend to be as stressful and depressing as city life, therefore, people are probably in a better humor there.

5. Grandmotherbear

Grandmotherbear Well-Known Member Supporter

My experience last year in Lake Placid was just the opposite. The locals didn't wanna know you.

6. Becca65

Becca65 Well-Known Member

Living in my neighborhood in the city, there are a few neighbors i don't want to be friendly with..lol and never tried.. they've had the city called on them, people in and out of the house all the time..
    But then the neighbors on each side of us, and across the street we talk to quite a bit.. and people down the street wave when we see each other.
    I'm a friendly person and i live in the city, just a little leary of some people, or cautious i guess, i think you have to be that way no matter where you live.

7. Gary in ohio

Gary in ohio Well-Known Member Supporter

I am not sure people in the country ore more friendly, but I think people in the city are more cautious and jaded in meeting new people.

8. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

I lived in town and had a very good and friendly neighbor. It wasn't a big town and many people know everyone else anyway.
    The first part time property in the country, I visited was a neighbor across the road often stopped by to see how the garden was going and to b.s.
    The place I live now are basically people tending to their own business. They have their 'clique' of relatives nearby that help out, and they help them out.
    I'de say they help in emergencies, but won't necessarily jump out to help you as they have plenty to do on their own places and be with their families.
    One old guy snoops by occasionally as he likes to visit around, and we all know ole Burt means well. I spend more time as I can with neighbors if they do visit. If I see some newcomer building a house, kinda nice to snoop about and see how things are progressing or interfering with our landscape. :viking:

9. Qwispea

Qwispea Well-Known Member

People are friendly everywhere and people are unfriendly everywhere. People in the great outdoors often tend to be more friendly, whereas people surrounded by cement for weeks and months on end tend to be in a stupifor.

I think most people in the city are wary of strangers because they've been 'bitten' too many times. I visited a fairly large size city the past 4 days and I was very conscious of the several people who walked by on the streets in early morning that would look surprised when I said "Good Morning". I think they are just so afraid of the unexpected that they put up a defensive front while out and about.

10. whiterock

whiterock Well-Known Member Supporter

I've always thought that country and small town people were friendlier. It goes back to the fact that they see less people and enjoy the opportunity to visit. I think the city folks are overcome with the masses surrounding them.
    Ed

11. lilyrose

lilyrose Well-Known Member

I really think it depends on the part of the country you're in, how closeknit the people are there, crime and other factors.

I've lived in city neighborhoods where people look out for each other just to keep burglars away. And in mega-cities where people are disconnected from their families I've seen people work hard to make friends because they truly need them. In two of those cities people threw celebration parties for me out of sheer kindness.

Cities of any size, especially those with crime, tend to have people who are cautious about being friendly. It's just being smart. I think many of them would prefer to be friendly, but must be careful who they're friendly with. I do think cities tend to breed materialistic attitudes which is not good.

I've lived in smaller towns where I was the only one from "outside" and everyone there had lots and lots of family around. In one town I had people to my home for dinner a lot, but no one ever reached out to me. When we moved away my husband had to stay back and work for 3 months. He stayed in a downtrodden old hotel to save money since things were tight. The only place he could eat was fast food. And no one we knew so much as invited him for dinner during the whole three months. I couldn't believe that people we'd had over for dinner wouldn't even think to reach out to my husband, but that's how it was.

Then, in another smaller town people were generally pretty friendly and didn't act like we were outsiders at all. I think it helped that an oldtimer there decided to make us friends and then everyone else did the same.

So I guess I can't say that people in smaller towns are necessarily friendlier than city people, nor can I say that city people are friendlier than country. I think it just depends on the kind of town and atmosphere you're in. People are different everywhere and also much the same. Some places have cliques where they keep outsiders out. Other places welcome newcomers and show them a kind spirit. And of course there are always good people everywhere you go. You just have to pray hard God will help you find them. :happy:

12. sandave88

sandave88 Well-Known Member

I have noticed this also. People holding doors and thanking you when you do the same. This does not happen in the city. When my 12 yo holds doors or says have a nice day people are shocked and take notice usually. There are some who don't notice or chose not to express graditude. In the country everyone seems to be in a much better mood and not as crazed about life.

13. Christiaan

Christiaan Dutch Highlands Farm

I've lived out here in the country since November of 2002. About a month ago I had a dinner party with some friends and I invited my 81 year old neighbor who has lived here since 1976. He lives by himself in a mobile, has a horse, and does American Primitive painting. My dinner was the first time that anyone here had ever invited him to dinner! I couldn't believe it, but on reflection..............
    This past weekend the new neighbors had a big cookout. They provided all the food and drinks, even had a live band. We went. The neighbors on the other side of them came. That was it. Thank goodness all their friends came or it would have been a very lonely affair.
    So much for country friendliness.

14. 65284

65284 Well-Known Member Supporter

I suppose I will anger some folks with this opinion, but here it is anyway. I have traveled a lot in this great land, been in all of the lower 48 states multiple times. And as a general rule I have found the folks in NY and the the rest of the Northeast to be the least friendly and helpful of all. A lot of them seem to have a smug, superior attitude and act like they are doing you a big time favor by allowing your to spend your money in their establishment. Granted, I dealt mostly with city folks, but almost every one in that area seemed very, very, different from people anywhere else I have been in the entire country. I'm sure there are many exceptions to my generalizations......I just didn't meet many of them.

15. ThreeJane

ThreeJane Me Love Your Face

I moved from Southern California to northern Idaho and yes, the people here are way friendlier (just ask bare... ;) )

The family I bought the house from folded me into their family, so now we have a new Grampa and Gramma for the kids, plus four aunts and uncles and various kids to play with...we are always invited to birthdays, dinners, etc.

They just gave me a shower for Sarah on Sunday and it was EMBARRASSING, how many people showed up...

I love it here, can you tell?

16. lilyrose

lilyrose Well-Known Member

As someone above alluded to these are all just generalizations. Someone from Ireland who had lived out west, in the midwest and in the eastern part of the U.S. told me that America is like 3 different countries, depending on which region you're in. I've found that to be true in some ways too. Every place has its own special weaknesses and strengths. I could give my impressions here, but it would only serve to offend and my opinions are only my personal judgments anyway.

As far as people opening doors for you, in the southern cities where many locals still represent the majority of the population, people are very friendly, courteous and thoughtful. Visit cities in South Carolina, for example, and you'll see a courteous spirit in many places.

A horrible icestorm hit a few southern cities a few winters ago. It created gridlock with people stuck in traffic for as long as 12 hours in the cold with cars slipping and sliding. The newscasters couldn't keep up with all the reports coming in of good samaritans reaching out to others. People set up hot coffee stands alongside roads to help keep stranded drivers warm. People gave others rides and helped push vehicles up icy hills.

Keep in mind that this all happened in several cities. So it is erroneous to assume that people in cities are all cold, heartless people. Personally, I don't like it when people who live in the country label city people certain ways. And I don't like it when people in the city label country people certain ways.

I think there are good people everywhere you go, along with some needing a lot of prayer. We have to remember that our own experiences are simply anecdotal and do not represent a large enough sampling to draw any firm conclusions about other people.

My personal feeling is that a "welfare mentality" is one of the worst cancers of the human spirit. It can exist anywhere, although there are places where people tend to be more independent with inititative. That's a good thing. I think people here can be described that way no matter where they live.