Is it hoof rot?!

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by prhamell, Jul 19, 2005.

1. prhamell

prhamell Well-Known Member

My neighbor has a small flock of sheep which he's only had for two years. He's good about trimming hoofs and vaccinating. Lately one of his ewes has developed what might be hoof rot. The ewe's front hoofs look different. I'm not sure how to describe it. It' sort of flaying out at the bottom and is beginning to pull away from the leg at the top between the two toes. She's limping also. He's trimmed some of the bad stuff off and has been treating all his sheep with the zinc sulfate foot rot stuff. I also suggested giving her a shot of penicillin. Now he just told me one of his young ewes is limping too. And she's favoring one of her front feet. I suggested getting them off the pasture too. Right now Dh is helping him quickly fence in another small area to put them on. I can't seem to find any good pictures of hoof rot so I'm not even sure if that's what it is. Any good websites with good pictures? Ideas on what to do? He's feeling really bad about this and doesn't want to lose any of his sheep. Becky

2. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Sounds like hoof rot to me and I'd add an antibiotic like LA200 oxytet. If the hoof has seperated from the leg the odds are very bad for that ewe ever keeping the hoof at all.

3. backachersfarm

backachersfarm Well-Known Member

There are 2 different types of foot problems a sheep can pick up. Hoof rot and scald. Scald will afect the soft tissue between the toes and make them limp. Rot actually dissolves the pad inside the hard shell of the hoof. Sine the hard shell is pulling away...I agree that it sounds like hoof rot. The easiest and fastest way to treat it is with LA200. The foot will heal and grow back just the way it was, but he will have to be trimming it more often. I would make note of who has had this and watch her. You can have a carrier who will constantly reinfect your flock and not show much sign themselves, or you can have one who will constantly have a problem reguardless of how much you treat her. The best thing to do in that case is cull. They have vac. for hoofrot now...but personally...they are expensive and a waste of time.

Sharon

4. ONThorsegirl

ONThorsegirl Fergusons Family Farm

How do you go and about and treat Scald. I haven't heard of it before but it seems to be what one of our lambs have. How do they get it and can other sheep get it.

Melissa