Is it getting worse in the country?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Snowdancer, Jun 30, 2005.

1. Snowdancer

Snowdancer Well-Known Member

I have to say my experiences of the last few years left a bad taste in my mouth after a lifetime of backwoods country living. Don't get me wrong, I love the country life(always will) but now it seems it's not like when I was a kid in the 50's & 60's-much more to concern yourself with; mostly from those without much of a conscience concerning the rights/safety of others.

But for those still in the country, do you see crime(petty,personal,theft,etc) getting worse or not?

I've noticed more threads about bad neighbors(I can so relate) but also about tresspassers now being more bold, thefts of gravel, random shooting at others animals/property, thefts off of primitive campsites, breakins into cabins, drug dealers, boundary disputes & destruction, etc.

I just wondered if with the internet we are just better able to discuss these things or if over the years you've seen more crime moving into the country.

2. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

When I was a kid, I knew some people who moved out into the country. They were back in the city in six months when both their kids were raped. My dad grew up in the country, and no way was he going to do that to us --- way, way too many mean and hateful people, he said, people who would glad do us harm. The city was safer.

I think the idea that it was all so much safer back then is kind of a fantasy, IOW. Yes, I think the problems are different now --- meth labs vs. moonshine, for example. But there were always problems and there always will be.

Just my opinion, though.

3. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

While I still feel much safer on my montain top in Montana than I did in Tucson I realize that life/humans are everywhere and some of them are wonderful just as some are evil through and through. I try to stay away from the evil and I do not allow evil to tresspass onto my property without my taking appropriate action! No matter where we go life will go right along with us. I suppose more evil people have gone to the country in some places than in others....it is just the way of the world.

4. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't think it's worse. I can remember as a kid in the 60s my dad had problems with people stealing his tools, trespassing to hunt, even had someone siphon the gas out of the car parked in the carport one night!

I do think lowlifes today are more apt to use deadly force (guns, etc.) as they place little or no value on human life.

My hubby pointed out to me last night that we should expect some of the problems we've had. This property sat unused for many years. The owner lived out of town and didn't care if folks hunted here, etc. There has never been a house on the property and we built the house a half mile from the road behind some trees.

Hubby said it's going to take some time for the locals to adjust...although he said I was doing a pretty good job at adjusting them!

Personally, I'll take the problems we've had out here over the problems we had in Dallas...cars broken into twice...items stolen right off our front porch, etc. I honestly think there are more crazies in town than they are out here.

5. Snowdancer

Snowdancer Well-Known Member

I think we just hear about it more now that we can post on message boards. Years ago, unless it happened in your little area and hit the papers, you didn't hear about it. ;)

I guess I have just seen an increase of what used to be called petty/minor crimes talked about lately. Some aren't so petty when they include weapons but most aren't life threatening; just aggravating and costly inconveniences.
    That's what sparked my question-is it just a perception that it's increasing or has it really increases.

I agree, if you live in a good country area, you are as close to finding Nirvana as we will have here on earth. I had that for years so know how wonderful it can be. :)

6. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

I agree with you about more availability to happenings outside your own community. That's DEFINITELY increased with satellite TV, the internet, etc. Back when I was a kid we only got three channels and there was no such thing as the internet. Now we're all plugged into every nasty, viscious little thing humans do to one another.

I don't think it's good for the soul, which is why I never watch the TV news or read the front section of the paper.

7. Becky H.

Becky H. Well-Known Member

Living both city and country I see a difference in type of crime and reason for the crime.

in the city I witnessed a murder as a social crime (spouse found cheating) and auto theft as a social crime (joyriding teens) with fewer petty crimes that stemmed from lack of money.

in the country I am witnessing petty thefts from our business downtown and testimony from friends of all their petty thefts stemming from lack of money. Also some "social" crimes such as incest and adult/child relationships but not from murder.

I attribute the increase of petty theft to the lack of opportunity for jobs and they are such poor folk here. There was one murder recently as well by an opportunist that was preying on someone for money. So it just came down once again to lack of money crime but not for social reasons.

8. MelissaW

MelissaW Well-Known Member

I guess we are lucky because we really don't see a lot of serious crime here. There was a rape at the towns tavern this year, but aside from that I don't think any other violent crimes were reported. We had a squatter in the cemetary once who let off a warning shot every time anyone came around, but I think he has moved on. Drugs are definately a bigger problem than they were years ago though.

9. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

Growing up, my Dad and Grandpa had to trade off nights parked in front of the fuel tanks to keep them from being siphoned off. Tools and tractors had to be locked up or disabled at night. Tack strips were placed across some of our dirt roads because local kids would go racing down them. People stole alfalfa bales, sweet corn, and grapes.

Dad and the other men around didn't care so much if you were obviously just trying to feed your family. Taking a box of corn got the thief a lecture about "why didn't you just ask?", filling up the back of the van with corn so you could go and sell it - well, you'd better hope the cops got there while you still had a few teeth left.

That stuff hasn't changed at all. I can't have mail delivered to my home because it gets stolen. I put a lock on, they break it off. Bigger lock, they break that off too. So I have a PO box. So far nothing's been stolen from the farm itself, but I don't expect that to last forever.

I've spent a good long time living in the city. I have to say, I'll take the occasional theft over rapes, murders, and road rage.

10. I don't really think that the crime ratio per X number of people has really risen. I think as a kid when we was growing up we just didn't pay as much attention to it. I've lived here in rural america all my life and I can remember when growing up of hearing about rapes, murders, suicides, burglery, etc. all right here in my scrawney neighborhood. It's still going on. The only difference is that some things you don't here about much cause other crime techniques are getting all the attention. For instance while growing up everytime you turned on the news they were talking about the big Marrywanna bust. Now you here of crack houses.

11. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

I think some of the problems with neighbors in rural areas are caused by the fact that it is getting far less rural. Areas where people had farms and acreages of 100 or 200 acres have been whittled down to 5 acres parcels or even smaller. For many people who crave rural living that might as well be suburbia. People are packed so close that inches start to matter. Your neighbors are close enough that you are constant part of their lives 24/7. For people that need living space that is just asking for friction and problems. You take those same people and put them on 150 or 200 acre places where they can neither see or hear their neighbors those problems would probably evaporate. There is still a fairly large portion of the population that is just not genetically wired for living that close to others. Their ancestors were the ones who were pioneers and those on the very edges of settlement. They need room to live. Some people are perfectly happy packed into apartments with thousands of others and they thrive on it. Others like myself simply can't live like that.

Crime around here is worse in some way and better in others. Much of the crime going on now is government induced. Meth labs, weed patches etc. and the criminality that goes with it. Stealing has always came in waves here. Back 100 some odd years ago a band of gypsies came though here and stole everyone blind (among other things) and then ran off in the dead of night trying to make a clean getaway. A bunch of farmers rounded up a posse chased them down retrieved the stolen stuff then proceeded to shoot and hang a bunch of them and then burned their wagons for good measure. Nowadays thieves get hauled to court and slapped on the wrist. They serve a few weeks and are back out stealing again. Horse thieves were hanged. There is still a tree a short walk from where I sit where a few cattle thieves were hanged one night by local farmers and ranchers. Today car thieves get caught dozens of times and they still are on the streets.

12. texican

texican Well-Known Member

I can see it getting worse out here in the country..................
    every time more of those urban refugees luck out and find a piece of land for sale, they bring their problems with them.

It doesn't take a month or so before the locals decide whether the newcomers will fit in or not. Last fall, I stopped by some new folks a couple of miles away, welcoming them into the community...they looked at me like I was an alien from Venus... talked to a relative who lives next door (400yds away) and they've done the same thing to them (cold shoulder). On the other hand, another family moved in a good while back, knew no one, we all introduced ourselves, and he went around introducing himself...when he heard my granpa's cornpicker'd broke down, he volunteered himself for an all day corn pulling 'party'. He instantly became part of the fabric of the community.

Humans have problems. More humans more problems.

13. LWB

LWB Well-Known Member

When I was a child we never locked our doors and never had anything stolen.
    Now I pay $38.42/month for ADT.
    We always had outside dogs that ran loose in my youth. Plus cows and hogs.
    We only have an inside dog now because someone always kills our outside dogs.
    We hunted and fished wherever we wanted to in my youth.
    Now most all of the land is leased to clubs.

The only problems we have had have been brought on by the people that lease the hunting rights on the land surrounding us. The are not so bad except on the weekends. They pay a nominal fee to join a club and think they own the world. I hope that eventually all the land will be leased to doctors and lawyers and the super rich. They are not so bad. It is the white trash that causes all of the trouble. At least the rich will not be robbing and stealing.

I still would not swap my place in the country for a mansion in any town.

14. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Well-Known Member Supporter

News is ever more sensational. Been many stories written on the scaring of people via the news in pursuit of ever higher ratings and add revinue. Letting lawyers advertise on TV didn't help. As well, the types and numbers of cop shows.

We also remember the past far more fondly than it actually was, forgetting the icky parts. Ah, the "good ole days", which often weren't particularly good.

15. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

Even though my county has grown expodentially I haven't noticed an increase in "local" crime (the newspaper publishes a weekly rundown of police calls, so it would be obvious). I have noticed, though, because this is a tourist area, a marked change in the behavior of visitors... LWB hit the nail on the head: they pay their money, they think they own the world and the world caters to them. This, unfortunately, holds true for vacationers in the hotels and second home owners.

Their behavior isn't "criminal" per se, in that they don't think of it as criminal when they tresspass on my property to pick blackberries which I expect to be able to use to feed my household and represent our only shot at having dessert that night... to them it is just harmless "free" fun. Walking their unleashed dog onto my property and risking my sheep isn't done maliciously, it is just stupid. If the dog kills a chicken, they are duly horrified, but they didn't do it on purpose, so we're not talking "criminal intent" here.

Which doesn't make it one whit less aggrivating. But actual crime is probably sputtering along at about the same rate.

16. trappmountain

trappmountain Well-Known Member

I think for one we hear about it more. And 2, I don't know if it is happenning around everyone but here(we live about 15 min from the big city) there are big mansions going up on land that once were huge farms and alot of Housing developements. Condominium complexes are going in like crazy here. More people=more crime.

17. Kygardengal

Kygardengal Well-Known Member

I believe that it is probably a little worse because the "country" is becoming
    more populated. More people seem to just "not care" about anyone else but
    themselves. I think that the closer you are to a "town" of any size the worse
    it is. If you live far enough out, you would see less of this. I hope to one day
    live "alone on a mountain". To guarantee real seclusion you have to own 1000 acres or more and build right in the middle. I belive the problem is that people
    are too close together. Crime has always been a fact of life...It happened in
    the pioneer days. It was just dealt with in a different way.....
    The old way involved a shoot-out then the looser was buried. In my personal
    situation, my neighbor would never have moved a survey pin if he thought
    for a minute it would cost him his life.

18. tnborn

tnborn Well-Known Member

The biggest problem in tn are the meth labs that are everywhere. They have started making that stuff on houseboats on the lake and dumping the remmanats into the lake :mad:
    I had more trouble with unwelcomed hunters and ginseng takers more than anything.People cutting my fences in order to come across my land to poach.
    So far, I haven't noticed anything stolen. But, I try to keep an eye on my stuff. we have serial numbers written down on all our equipment.
    tnborn

19. Mawna

Mawna Well-Known Member

There's crime out here in the Ozark Mountains too. It has been known to get pretty hairy. But around these parts it seems to stem from lack of economy perhaps. Drugs and Alcohol play a huge part. The Meth in this area is horrid. Hard to locate them hid in the woods like they are. It's a dry county here but we all know about that issue. Domestic Violence is a biggie here. And then the teens only have so much to keep them entertained. Church if they go. Driving circles around the square down in the village. And the River.

January I think it was, the Sheriffs Office got a call of a fellow found dead in his car parked along side of the highway. He'd been shot. Meth was suspected. His 21 year old son was in it with him. The 21 was missing also. Big search party went on for a few months. They pretty much gave up the search. Too many caves and ravines in these ol' hills to hide a body. Kid has never been located.

Now up here someone gets POed at you. Your house IS gonna burn if they are really P*ssed. Houses "catch" on fire around here alot. But it appears that it is either between rival clans OR they get mad at some new outsider who has a "college degree" attitude and move in and treat them and everyone else like they are nit-wits; looking down their noses at everyone. We are getting more and more of those types moving in unfornuately. Those kinds had better be pleasant or tough as nails or they aren't gonna last long around these parts. It will be seen to, I can almost guarentee that by seeing it happen to many times already.

So crime IS everywhere. In one form or the other.

20. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm sure that drug abuse is responsible for lots of theft, murder, child abuse, rape etc. Most parents of children taken into fostercare are not prosecuted for a crime, they just lose their kids. And go and make more.

I also think that there isn't alot of parenting going on in America. You know developing of a child's conscience....awareness of good vs. bad behavior...its REAL important! If mom and dad are both working and grandma and grandpa are living in Florida or Arizona whose watching the kids and doling out consequences for deviant behavior? No one. These kids grow up to be the next generation lacking conscience and wanting instant gratification with no respect for themselves, others or the law.

If the kid is NAUGHTY at daycare or school, mom and dad are likely to believe the kid when he makes up some sob story to get out of trouble and the parents say something like my kid would never do that and he shouldn't be punished. So the child is rewarded for lying/not owning his shortcomings..... and they grow up using same methods to get thru life.....
    its really sad.