Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That I can happily eat a meal while thinking about goats giving birth, but I feel sick thinking about people eating meat, especially goat? (I am a vegetarian.) Am I goat obsessed? LOL. :facepalm: And we've only had goats for two and a half years!

·
Super Moderator
12,837 Posts
I can eat while doing just about anything, lol... So I don't find that weird. Birthing is one of the least gross things I can think of, anyways. :p

Though I can't understand getting sick at the idea of eating goat... goat is delicious. :p I'm a carnivore for sure.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Seriously, some people get squeamish thinking about goats kidding, but not me! (I know someone who thinks it's beyond gross to see a goat pooping -- she is so far removed from the country! LOL.)

·
Goslings say Weh-Wey-Weh!
339 Posts
Not bothered by much anymore, found out quick that farm life has you seeing things that would make you starve if your stomach turned that easily.

Goat is one of the most delicious meats out there, one of my very favorites to stock the freezer with. All of our goats are pets and well loved, even the bucklings destined to be eaten. There is no shame in loving an animal for all of its many purposes. May you enjoy goats for many more years to come, GoatGirl123!

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here's an idea of how much experience I have with goats vs. other farm animals:

Today, something caught my eye in the pig forum: something with 'boar' in the title. I thought it said 'Boer!' LOL, what did I expect in the pig forum? And then, I was searching for that same thread, but I absolutely could not find it . . . and guess what? I was looking in the cow forum! :D LOL ROFL.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Being a vet tech, nothing much bothers me anymore. I have eaten a sandwich, while watching a cat have an abscess drained, and many other gross things. LOL, gotta get your meals in while ya can sometimes in a busy practice!

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
Goatgirl, there is a new vegan cheese at Whole Foods that looked very promising in the photo. I shared it on FB with my family 'cause some have food allergies and some have good friends that are vegan. I am not a vegetarian but I understand your viewpoint. To me goats are one of the most intelligent and entertaining species on this earth!

·
Registered
299 Posts
I have eaten a sandwich, while watching a cat have an abscess drained, and many other gross things.
Your stomach is a lot stronger than mine! There are not many things related to agriculture/animals that make me gag, but draining abscesses is definitely one. The other 2 are dehorning, and cutting up dead/decomposing calves in order to deliver them. <looking for puke icon>

GoatGirl, the only thing I find bizarre about goat people is their apparent obsession with their doe's backside! LOL Yes, I'm guilty of it, too! :eek:

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
GoatGirl, the only thing I find bizarre about goat people is their apparent obsession with their doe's backside! LOL Yes, I'm guilty of it, too! :eek:
LOL, me too! Whether to size up their udder or tell if they're in heat, we seem to constantly stare at our does' backsides (except for the does that won't be bred a certain year of course.)

·
Registered
299 Posts
LOL, me too! Whether to size up their udder or tell if they're in heat, we seem to constantly stare at our does' backsides (except for the does that won't be bred a certain year of course.)
Actually, I also check out their backsides to see if my buck got them through the fence!

·
Premium Member
3,579 Posts
I giggle a little when I read everyones comments. I cannot handle anything deal with humans like blood, pus, wounds of any type. Eric (bf) will come home from work with a huge blister on his knuckle from welding all day and I about pass out.

On the other hand when it comes to animals I have sat in the barn munching on dinner as a goat is pushing. Have eaten while mom and me talk about pus, cuts, and so on. I can bandage a goat that is bleeding with no issue but show me a drop of human blood and I am weak in the knees. Throw up from an animal no isse... humans I am covering your throw up with my own lol.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@Donna1982 -- I'm not quite as bad as you with people, but yes it's hard for me to handle a lot of blood on a person (including myself!) But a bloody head on a buck (haven't had much worse than that yet luckily!) ? No problem.

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
GoatGirl you can be a vegetarian, more chevon for the rest of us. :thumb:

A few days ago I needed to check a doe if she had blood in her pee. Well I didn't have anything on hand but that.
The only thing that has ever made me gag was a decomposing kid I had to pull with hair coming off. It was also sickening that she lost two others who were perfectly normal & full term that same kidding.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Not much bothers my system.
With regards to goats, I'm with kasilofhome. I've slaughtered many, many goats and just about all species of livestock, but some of the best meat is from a newborn or bottle baby goat.
I'd be standing there with a sharp knife helping her son pick out the spices waiting for the doe to provide dinner. Delicious use of a surplus kid.
Best of luck.

·
Premium Member
998 Posts
Well it's legal I suppose but I don't think highly of killing a newborn animal unless it is an act of kindness because it is dying or in extreme pain. But it takes all kinds...
Please understand I don't mean to be disrespectful to you, but if the animal is being raised for meat what difference does it matter what age it is when butchered?

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
So long as the butchering is humane, age does not matter.

If the objective of the breeding is the females and milk, and extra males are unneeded and a burden to the farms use of milk, for the female offspring, other animals or people, then the humane butcher of excess males is part of the farms operation.

This is livestock. Pets and people are treated and thought of differently- as they should. Livestock has a purpose on a farm. Humane treatment is called for by God, and any real farmer treats his livestock humanly.

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
To butcher an animal that is just born without letting it have at least a little time with the mother and nurse seems callous and cold to me and offensive. I do not support the treatment of veal calves either. To put any young creature in a restricted space that doesn't allow movement or social contact with fellow animals for the sake of people who want a tender cut of meat seems very arrogant. I am not against eating chickens, pigs, beef etc. But to kill a newborn animal for food/profit leaves a bad taste in my mouth, figuratively. :yuck:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts