Is Homemade Millwork worth the effort?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by mysticokra, Nov 30, 2005.

1. mysticokra

mysticokra Well-Known Member

I priced millwork today for trimming out the windows in the addition. It added over $40.00 per window to the cost. Since I plan to paint it anyway, it made me wonder whether a router and raw stock would be worth the effort to make my own.

Has anyone ever done this?

Thanks.

2. TNHermit

TNHermit Well-Known Member Supporter

HI
    I make furniture and millwork for a living here in TN. You can make your own depending on how much time and what results you want. Are you going to paint or stain it. What kind of wood do you want to use. How fancy do you want it.
    If you want to PM me I will help you if you want
    Dave

3. brosil

brosil Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't know if it's worth it or not but it looks like I'll have to make my own replacement siding for my barn. I've got a fellow that will trade for rough cut lumber. I'll have to turn it into this 1930's siding myself.

4. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

All the time--only buy millwork if I am trying to match a commonly available style, like ranch casing. Otherwise we have either made plain trim with maybe a bead along each edge, or something fancier to match the old trim in our old farmhouse. Depends on which part of the house. If you are painting the trim, you should be able to get by with cheaper lumber, too.

5. farminghandyman

farminghandyman Well-Known Member Supporter

some of it depends on if you can get quality lumber to make the trim out of for a reasonable cost,

6. Thoughthound

Thoughthound Well-Known Member

Keep in mind that particle board can be milled. I've never done it so you may want to ask an expert how well it works.

If you are going to paint it, particle board will be cheaper than clear pieces of lumber.

Also, the 4x8 sheets are pretty heavy, so have some help at the lumber yard.

If you are going to make mitered joints, and you have alot of windows, you will also want to invest in a powered miter saw. A workable one will cost about 100 bucks.

And finally, don't forget the value of learning a new skill. Also remember, however, that if your walls and/or openings are irregular, it could be frustrating and very time consuming.

7. cindyc

cindyc Well-Known Member

My neigbor has a house built around the 1940's windows, walls and everything are incased (inside) with CARDBOARD! It has been painted, and repainted and changed hands etc... all this time, and is still in OK condition. ...Go figure.

8. mysticokra

mysticokra Well-Known Member

Thanks for the ideas. I doubt that we would use particle board or MDF.
    I have had bad experiences with both. I discovered "finger splinted" spruce and pine,which may give us some more options.