Is goat meat/milk tasty?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by westbrook, Sep 8, 2005.

1. westbrook

westbrook In Remembrance

find someone that raises them and ask for a taste!

we don't eat beef anymore and the kids only drink milk when home..goats milk that is.

2. TwoAcresAndAGoat

TwoAcresAndAGoat Well-Known Member

I only tried the meat once and did not care for it at all.

Milk on the other hand I have every day and mine is very sweet and creamy. If you need low fat or skim - milk fresh goat milk is not for you.

3. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

I had goat meat a couple of times that was in an asian stew dish. Tasted very good. Kid goat meat is fairly mild and tender. I would like to try other ways to eat it occasionally. If you'll eat venison, you shouldn't be turned off to chevon.

4. dscott7972

dscott7972 Well-Known Member

But you can run it through it a cream seperator (expensive item) and then you have skim milk.
    Goat milk taste great, sweat and rich except for a toggenburg and it taste a little strong because they are bread for a specific cheese (although that is not true for all togs). We also like the meat, my wife says it taste like really good pork loin.

5. westbrook

westbrook In Remembrance

I have a meat saw so I cut the legs up into steaks and BBQ, anything I do with beef I do with goat meat. A nice 5-7 month old will be oh so sweet and tender, and the older they get the stronger the flavor. I have eaten a 2 month old kid and while it was very tender there was no flavor to the meat.

Is there a Mexican or MiddleEastern market near by? they will also sell goat.

6. manygoatsnmore

manygoatsnmore Well-Known Member Supporter

The taste of the milk varies from goat to goat. We have goats all eating the same diet, and the milk is different from each goat. (I believe you would find the same thing in cows, although I don't remember from when I was a kid drinking raw cow's milk). One of our goats has a 'grassy' taste to her milk, a couple of them develop more of a 'goaty' taste in their milk, and one has the hands-down best milk I've ever tasted. It stays sweet for days, raw, and tastes no different than a very rich, whole milk from a cow. I guess you know which goat we use for our 'house milk'! The rest is used for feeding the kids and now that the kids are being weaned, will be used to raise piglets. We also feed some to the chickens.

As far as the meat goes, it also depends on the age of the animal and the diet it's been fed. Younger = more tender and milder, older = stronger flavor, more suitable for slow, moist cooking (or pepperoni). I think it tastes a little like lamb, others have told me they think it tastes like venison. I think you'll just have to try it for yourself and see how you like it.

7. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Well-Known Member Supporter

Meat:
    If you like venison and lamb, you'll like goat meat. It doesn't taste exactly like either, but you can sure tell it's related. Same goes for you if you dislike both.

Milk:
    Been a long time since I had it. As I recall, it was stronger and richer than cow milk. I liked it, but that's all I can say. I personally would not ever want to get tied up in a milking schedule.

8. moosemaniac

moosemaniac Well-Known Member

9. trappmountain

trappmountain Well-Known Member

Ok I haven't personally had goat meat but according to my FIL it tastes like a cross between venison and lamb. So I would probably like it.

As for goats milk, it's a little sweet for me but I love goats milk fudge, soap, lotion, etc.. There is not a creamier soap or lotion around. Great for dry skin.

10. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

when we butcher the goats, we put the meat in a cooler of cool water with a teaspoon of ginger, enough for the whole cooler. soak it before wrapping/freezing. The "taste" is gone. We use it for fajitas, bbq. Very good as long as you use a young goat.
    www.geocities.com/buckshotboers2003

11. jessepona

jessepona Food Not Lawns :p

They sell goats milk at my local grocer. I like it, though I'm sure fresh goats milk is much better.

12. sheep tamer

sheep tamer former HT member

Adding to that thought, I have evaluated the extra
    time involved in raising our own milk...seems I'm
    always washing out pails, strainers and jars. Would
    be so much simpler to go back to buying a gallon of
    milk at the store, and tossing the jug out instead
    of washing it...

But, since the milk is so good and makes everything
    cooked with it even better, I personally wouldn't
    ever want to be tied up in dependence on store
    bought milk, with who-knows-what done to it, as
    long as I have the time and energy to raise my own
    wholesome milk. We don't have a social life that
    conflicts with milking schedules, and it keeps us
    close to the place we love best! Yes, I'd love
    help with the goat chores, but then there are
    things only my hubby does that I can't, so...

If it's too rich, you simply thin it down. If you don't
    like the meat, you sell it to those who do, or learn
    how to season it up. What better fertilizer for the
    garden than goat barn cleanings? What better way
    to get those weeds thinned out?

If we had to pay for milk this wonderful, we'd go broke!
    As it is, sale of the kids practically covers the expense
    of keeping the does each year! The flavor of the milk
    and meat can vary with breed and raising methods,
    but once you adjust to the taste of pure foods, the
    grocery store food will taste off!

Hmmm, I think I've talked myself out of selling my
    flock. :D

13. tinetine'sgoat

tinetine'sgoat Luvin' my family in MO

We've found that it depends on the goat!! The milk we drink comes from Nubian and LaMancha's!! Good stuff. However, on occassion we get "goaty" flavored milk. If you get that first off PLEASE give it another try, that is not what it is supposed to taste like or always tastes like. I would suggest drinking milk from an establishment that keeps the bucks seperate, that seems to be when we notice the ucky taste. I have never ate goats meat, not that I wouldn't, it just isn't really available around here. Our neighbor loves it, says it is the best bar-b-que. I have no problem butchering, and dressing deer, but for some reason I dont think I could do the goats, I start to think of them as little buddies. Each with thier own personality. Good luck to ya!! :D

14. Farmer Willy

Farmer Willy Well-Known Member Supporter

Sounds like it would work for me, I like my venison, planning on making cheese and feed hogs with the excess milk. Wifes got me down to using skim milk on cereal. Drink milk? Wow--people really do that? I thought it was just for dressing up bad coffee and making corn flakes wet. I'll find someplace here selling meat and give it a try.

15. Don Armstrong

Don Armstrong In Remembrance

Goat MEAT is like venison - lean, can take on the male taste, but it's marvellous if it isn't tainted by the "buck" or "billly" taste.

Goat MILK is just fine, but if it sours then if tastes awful. The capric/caproic taste that is released when it goes off is horrible. Not at all like the analogous butyric (butter) taste that you get when bovine milk starts to sour. You can actually be assured that goat milk is good because you sure do notice when it goes off, whereas cow's milk is not really objectionable if it's a little sour.

16. Mountain Mick

Mountain Mick Well-Known Member

Baree, Mount Morgan, Queensland Australia
    Hi Farmer Willy,

We eat alot of Chevon that the name used for Goat meat, My Dad use to call it hairy mutton. But we lovey goat meat it is a lovely tasting meat that is much less fatty that mutton or lamb and we would rather eat it then the former and it is much sweeter tasting as will. Wew make Goat Salami as well as Goat ham and my kids love the goat jerky that I make. You can roast, grill, fry, boil,stew & BBQ goat in the same way you use any other meat. Me Family love it when I bone out a soulder of goat and maritate it over night in Garlic, rosemary, salt, pepper, yogurt & honey, and then char grill it on the BBQ and serve it with BBQ corn on the cob and BBQ Sweet potatoes and a greek salad.

As for the goats milk we make cheese, yogurt and even ice cream out of it, My wife love a soft goats cheese that I make with Ginger and pistachio nuts. I roll the finished cheese in crushed pistachio nuts as well for the colour and the texture. Loevy in toasted sour dough bread in the morning.

We love goats they will eat all you woody weeds and clean up a paddock in no time flat.

Mick :viking:

17. elgordo

elgordo Well-Known Member

I tasted goat meat a couple of times at a resturant and thought it was only OK, but I don't know what kind or how old itwas! I've just bought a locker goat from a friend who raises Boers. He says if you like venison, you'll like goat, so I'll let you know....
    Goat milk that i've tried is great. Someday hope to have a milker.

18. HunterTed

HunterTed Rockin B Farm

You dang right goat meat is good!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is probably my favorite (could be tied with buffalo) Cook it in the ground, wrap it in a tortilla with hot sauce, grilled onions, and jalapenos and you have my absolute favorite meal.

19. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

I only tried my goats milk a while ago, and I LOVE it. It tastes really good, although a bit strong, I am used to skim milk.

20. woodspirit

woodspirit Well-Known Member

I think that is why I don't keep goats. I bought some goat milk from a grocery store once and immediately spit it out. It was worse than nasty. I think I'm gonna have to go to a farm and try the real deal. I love venison but can't stand lamb. I like buffalo, alligator, bear and squirrel. Guess I'm gonna have to try chevon now.