Is Gleaning LEgal

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by vulcan, Dec 20, 2006.

would you glean?

1. for food

2. for items

3. for toys

4. for clothing

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. vulcan

vulcan Well-Known Member

I am planning to start gleaning in Pennsylvania, I already doing it after the farmets markets and I always do it in the garbage of big stores, and I can tell you is amazing the things they throw away. What you guys think about this. I picked up from the garbage a toy in its box for a child. AND before Christmas absolutly free. Is any gleaner out there? Iam starting this years with different crops. Tell me what do you think>

2. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

You probably need to research the laws in your area. Dumpster diving isn't legal in many places.

3. DenverGirlie

DenverGirlie Well-Known Member

I second that, dumpster diving is illegal in some places. They just arrested and proscuted to guys that took some food out of a dumpster behind the grocery store.

Just because it's one person's trash, doesn't mean that you can necessarily have it.

However, I am a huge alley shopper in the spring and summer. I don't bring home food, I could but don't, but find clothing, household supplies, knick knacks, furtinatre and a lot more. I usually pick up stuff thru the spring and have a large yard sale with it all in the summer. Easy way to make $500. However, I only search thru the alley's, I would not take from store dumpsters for the simple fact that they are on private property.

BTW - I've never heard anyone refer to dumpster diving as gleaning.... I've only heard gleaning used with fields. Persons go out and glean the fields after the field have been harvested. However, many farmers will not allow anymore because of liability issues on both the safety of the food, the safety of the fields, etc.

4. Tricky Grama

Tricky Grama Well-Known Member

Going to drive down my alley in a few minutes & 'glean' the front door of a neighbor's that's in the trash. My DH is usually the one who picks up stuff like this.

Last fall it was an adirondacks chair left out in the trash-only a little wobbly. We took it to our land & it's sitting under a tree out in an open area. Looks great!

Got a set of longhorns out of someone's trash-mounted on the porch of our shed.

I also thought 'gleaning' was harvesting the left-overs in fields.

Patty

5. vulcan

vulcan Well-Known Member

Well in my "neck of the woods" we are using this word for "trash picking" it sounds better, I furnished my first appartment with "recicled furnitures" including my bed, but I washed every item several times before using it.

6. arabian knight

arabian knight Miniature Horse lover Supporter

No, not at all would I do this, whatever the word you may use for it.

7. Ninn

Ninn Custom Crochet Queen

In PA it is legal to "glean" wood from along the road, as long at it is deadfall or cut by the county when they do their annual pruning. Several large companies and businesses offer "gleaning" at their sites. Habitat For Humanity is one who does. They allow gleaning of every single thing they remove from a house they are building or rehabbing. The point is to recycle as much as possible, even if they don't reuse it themselves. Most times, I ask a business if they allow it. And I have an arrangement with my local supermarket owner because I have known him all my life. I get to pick up the produce they would ordinarily toss -fruit, tomatoes, etc. and use it for my canning lessons, etc. I don't know for sure what the laws are for "dumpster diving" around here, but even if something is put to the curb with the trash, I knock on the door and ask first. It's just polite. After all, most dumpsters are rented and are private property. And trash is still on private property. So, I cover my butt. I have never ever been told I could not remove something that had been put to the curb, so I guess I must be handling it ok.

8. patnewmex

patnewmex Jane of all trades

I dumpster dived one time to get a persian rug someone threw out! That was in NYC right out on the street. No one cared. NYC is the best place for picking up totally useful items that others don't want. I usually only reserve that for picking things off the curb, not the dumpster (But I could SEE that wool rug in there and wanted it.)

For food? Yuck! Never. If it has been thrown out, it is been sitting there who knows how long. If you are hard up for food, ask the local grocers for their spoiled goods. At least you can feed your critters with that. (if you have critters.)

9. EasyDay

EasyDay Gimme a YAAAAY!

10. ldc

ldc Well-Known Member Supporter

There is a movie (VHS) at our local public library that I borrowed and reccommend, "The Gleaners and I" by Agnes Varda, a famous director in France. Anyway, it's all about modern agricultural gleaning in France, what is legal, what is done by custom, and then, "thing" gleaning in big cities. At the end of the movie, the director says that as a moviemaker, she is just a gleaner of life. It's beautiful if they have it at your librairies I reccomend it! ldc

11. crazyeights

crazyeights Well-Known Member

My 20yods was working for an electrician about a year or two ago. They were changing out the lights at a big box store one night when the boss realized they had thrown something away that they needed. Since my son was the youngest on the crew of 3 he sent him out to 'dumpster dive' to get the parts they needed back. While son was scrounging around in the dumpster some man jumps in it. Son stood up suddenly and him and the man stood there face to face screaming bloody murder at eachother. Scared the bejeebee's out of both of them!

My son grabbed what he needed and got out of there fast! He said there were some good radio's the store had thrown away but when he had to go back to the dumpster later that night they were all gone.

That was his one and only experience with dumpster diving! LOL

Debi

12. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

Dumpster diving is NOT the same thing as gleaning. Gleaning is going into a field and picking the remainder of the crops that the machinery did not get. Totally different. Most farmers will not mind you going into their fields if you ask ahead of time. When I lived in Indiana I gleaned about two bushel baskets of soy beans that machinery missed. If you drive by fields that have been harvested you always see lots of things left over.

I also dumpster dive, but NOT for food. The best places to dive are around colleges in May (when they are moving out and throwing EVERYTHING away that won't fit in the car), and apartments at the end of the month. I have gotten a lot of great stuff doing this.

Donsgal

13. dragonfly1113

dragonfly1113 Well-Known Member

DH has a friend and his BIL is a trash man. He comes home with all kinds of things brand new in boxes that places like Lowes, Home Depot and other places throw out. They will throw things away that has a little dent or missing a screw. They gave us one of those little gas grills. They collected 8 of those and also we bought a brand new swing for $30 from him. Those swings that have the tops on them. It was missing a screw. They threw it away. Still in box, still in plastic. It is crazy what people throw away sometimes.

14. patnewmex

patnewmex Jane of all trades

15. madness

madness Well-Known Member

I've picked up a few things here and there from dumpsters, but nothing can compare to the motherlode I got in New Orleans. I lived there shortly before Hurricane Katrina and there was a house up for complete remodel in my neighborhood. They were taking EVERYTHING out of the house and putting it in a dumpster out front. I got permission from the general contractor (since it was out in the open) to dig through. I found boxes and BOXES of old photos from about 1880 to 1960. They are mostly of old New Orleans, but a lot from other famous national sites (DC - before the Washington Monument, Estes Park, Niagara Falls, Grand Canyon, etc.). I also found 8mm film of a trip to Europe in the 60s.

People throw away the stangest things...and then other people pick the strangest things out of the trash!

16. Tricky Grama

Tricky Grama Well-Known Member

Drove down the alley in my pick up to get the neighbors slightly warped front door thats in the trash & I can't pick it up! Too heavy! Shoot.

Maybe when DH gts home...

Patty

17. cowboyracer43

cowboyracer43 Well-Known Member

Several years ago, I and our County Commissioners flew to NYC to close on a bond issue. We had lunch at the Carnegie Deli and all of our sandwiches were more than any of us could eat. We asked our waitress if she could provide wrapping and a box so that the sandwiches could be given to the homeless who were huddled on steam grates on the sidewalks. We were told that the homeless would be afraid of being poisoned if we tried to give it to them, but that if we simply threw the food in the garbage cans our front, they would eat heartily. They did.

18. GrannyCarol

GrannyCarol Well-Known Member Supporter

Unfortunately many local grocers no longer allow people to take their old or spoiled goods because of liability issues. We asked about waste greens for our ducks, but were told that because people take stuff home for their "livestock", eat it and become sick (and then sue), they can't afford the liability. :(

19. Pouncer

Pouncer Well-Known Member

Haven't any of you heard of freecycle? LOL (just teasing)

I think of gleaning as going in the feilds after harvest, I don't mentally ascribe the term to anything else.

20. vulcan

vulcan Well-Known Member

For me the world includes trash picking, the word has more finess, I would say.
    Is not the same to take a brand new lamp to your 80 years old mother and tell her, hey Mom "I picked up in Lows garbage" than, hey" Mom I was gleaning and look what I got". What do you think? I think thats better.