Is Ebay buying becoming problematic for anyone?

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by RoseGarden, Jan 13, 2007.

1. RoseGarden

RoseGarden Well-Known Member

I have been buying things on Ebay for about four years now. Nothing expensive, no big ticket items like cars, appliances or jewelery, just things like small plants, door hinges and some other misc. small hardware, a few minor collectibles, etc.

There has never been any real problems that I can recall, just about all transactions went smoothly except perhaps things like slow mail, etc.

But all of a sudden, in the past couple of months, just about every transaction has been problematic in some way. I don't do PayPal for a number of reasons, and only buy from sellers who accept money orders, which I always use. I also check the seller before bidding to check their feedback, to make sure I don't buy from someone who has chronic bad ratings. I am also very conscientious about mailing my money order the day after I get my invoice in my email, and letting the seller know it is on it's way. My feedback is at 100%.

Four of the last purchases I have made in a row, and then two before Christmas, have hassled me about my payment, either not getting there at all or getting there late. I can't control the postal service, which is what I always tell them. (I've also asked at my post office if there is some reason the mail could be slow, but other than Christmas I have been told they don't know). I have noticed that when I offer to fax or mail copies of the money order stub and copy of the receipt from the post office where I buy the money order as proof that I did purchase it, it seems that, oh, they have 'overlooked' my payment, or it suddenly appears in their mailbox later that day. I am not saying such things are not possible, but it just seems like all of a sudden, something fishy is going on. Is anyone else having problems like this lately? I am thinking that I will not be buying on Ebay anymore...

2. FiddleKat

FiddleKat Mother,Artist, Author Supporter

I think eBay is no longer the same place it use to be.
    Im glad to hear you mail your money order off in time. I wish I had one of my buyers like that!!!
    I don't do paypal either. Had my account hijacked once and now Im very gunshy about it.
    I only except money orders!!
    I had one lady who purchased a dozen of my earrings, and although the total came to $30 she sent me an extra $10 for making me wait a week extra for the mo. I didn't mind waiting because she had emailed me and informed me of why it would be late. I just appreciated her at least informing me. She was an awesome customer!!!
    Then I had another buyer who purchased one of my quilted handbags. She won it Nov. 27th and sent me an email Dec. 5th stating she was sending it out "shortly." Didnt' hear from her at all even after emailing her and asking about it. Then when we got back online Jan. 5th I was going to file for a NPB fee and give her negative feedback as a non paying buyer. When BINGO I get her money order in the mail which the mo was dated Jan. 3rd.
    I also purchased a tile/glass cutter and didn't hear from the seller and then they contacted me back stating they had just found the money order and apologized. He ended up sending the item out overnight express at his cost. Which I thought was nice.

3. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

Just had our first one yesterday. I mailed the money order on Dec. 20, and had not received the item. I sent a message asking for a ship date, and the next day I get an unpaid item notice. I responded today to the notice, sent another money order in the mail, and sent another message to seller. I have yet to receive a message or response to anything from the seller. I also always send the money order the next day, and have 100% positive feedback.

4. Ninn

Ninn Custom Crochet Queen

Whenever I mail out a money order for an ebay purchase, I always email the seller with the receipt number. In 3 days, I call the customer service number on the receipt and see if it's been cashed. If it has, and I get notice that they didn't receive it, I can counter that. This actually happens alot because my user ID and my real name are not the same and they don't always pay attention to my real name in my emails. As soon as I tell them that money order # whatever it is was processed at such and such a location on this particular date, they always say "oh, that was you?". It's too funny.

5. FiddleKat

FiddleKat Mother,Artist, Author Supporter

That was a bad move on the seller's part.
    They should have contacted you before giving you an unpaid item notice. That very well might go against your feedback.
    After that happening, I probably would have contacted the seller and said, "hey....ever hear of communication?!" I would have neg. them for it.

Ninn I like your response. That's a good idea.

6. RoseGarden

I am always sure to write the Ebay item number and the description of what the item is on the space on the money order, so they'll know what it's for, and also send a copy of the invoice that I print right off the email.

I guess it's just my suspicious nature, but it seems like maybe people are trying to scam me or something.

And I never send two money orders for something. No way. If one ever truly gets lost in the mail, just totally disappears, I can't control that either, and am not responsible for it. The seller can just relist the item anyway, so it's no loss to them other than their listing fees, which is cost of doing business, like any other business. But sending two money orders, no. I always say something along the lines of ".... and as I can't pay for the item twice, please let me know how you wish to handle the problem, Thanks & etc." That way, I have let them know in a polite way that they're not going to get another money order out of me. For all I know, they may be waiting for a second MO and then cash both. Yeah, you can put a pay stop on some money orders, but it can be costly to do so. One m.o. company charged like $12 to do a stop payment.

7. giraffe_baby

giraffe_baby Well-Known Member Supporter

I have a question, why not go the extra "mile" persay and when you mail your MO why dont you do either a post office Confirmation, or even registered, where they have to sign for it!:) that would stop alot. and the Confirm is only an extra 60 cents, but once it is delivered by the post office to their " mail" then you know that they have recieved it.

8. Becca65

Becca65 Well-Known Member

Thats one reason I use paypal, I don't want to mess around with personal checks that could bounce, or money orders that take forever to get here. I haven't had any problems as of yet.. <knock on wood> I did buy a gift certificate off ebay, and then noticed he only wanted check or cash.. so i mailed him a check, it took forever to finally get that certificate!! because he had to wait for it clear..
    I got a few things i want to sell that look 70ish kinds of vases and such.. I have some scrubs that are selling pretty good on there right now too.. I wish i could find a hot item and make lots of money.. :)

9. deb

deb Well-Known Member

We haven't had any problems with our Ebay purchases, but then again we use PayPal and the seller can't claim that the payment never arrived.

deb
    in wi

10. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

hmmm i am not having much trouble with ebay at all currently. though i must admit it has changed greatly in the three years I have been working with them. reminds me of the big swap meet we used to have in Tucson. Was full of wonderful garage finds and left over stuff from folks houses, also some home grown plants and puppies kittens and such. Used to love to go and see the crafts and arts too. Then it got BIG had permanent stalls built, concession stands, pony rides and parking charges. I went the last time about 10 years ago and did not see anything but new stuff there, it was very sad. I am afraid ebay is going this way as well....you know the old saying "if one is good two is better". This is not always true. Ebay fees are pretty high these days which causes sellers to raise prices a bit to keep profits up. Kind of sad too with all the scams floating around, humans are so creative! I don't know if I will ever make a true profit on my ebay selling , but it helps to give my life purpose so I keep doing it! Sis

11. RoseGarden

About the delivery confirmation... I asked at the post office if I could do a delivery confirmation on a letter, and was told no, that was only for priority mail, being the ones in the big envelope that is either overnight or two or three day, and that's anther 8$ or whatever.

As I said, I've been doing this for about four years now, and it's only lately that all these problems have started happening.

12. Spinner

Spinner Well-Known Member

I quit doing ebay a couple years ago cause it got to be to much hassle. Ebay fees keep going up, postal fees keep going up. Unless you sell big ticket items the only people making money is ebay and the post office. Not worth it for small items anymore. I loved ebay a few years ago, but not anymore. Now I use epier. They are almost the same as ebay, but much easier to work with.

13. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

i agree ebay has become a hassle. my last 4 purchases were paid via paypal from my bank account (since selling has become such a pain, i never seem to have money in my paypal account). it takes 4 days minimum for my purchases to be paid for that way. it takes longer if the weekend or a holiday is involved. i don't know which institution is holding to money, the bank or paypal, but their desire to make interest off of my transaction destroys the whole process. at least one of those 4 purchases took over a week to process.

i stopped selling for profit when ebay got greedy about a year ago. my store fees increased and my exposure decreased. i started selling at auction after that, but those fees went through the roof as well. it seems ebay has since lowered the pricing a bit, but not near enough IMHO. with the outlandish shipping fees that USPS and the others charge for small and medium items, who can honestly make a profit these days? it would take a mega-volume of sales to make up the difference. i used to buy and resell lots of computer supplies. i was always one of the cheapest for everything, but i could not go any cheaper and still make money. no one wants to pay what it takes to satisfy the seller, ebay, paypal and the shipper. it just is not worth it anymore.

if you are making a craft for sale or selling a popular vintage item, it may be worth it. i fear the days of the profitable online yard sale are over.

don't you just love selling an item for $4 that cost $1 to list and then you lose $.43 because someone pays with a credit card and after that, ebay takes their auction cut...geesh.

14. cast iron

cast iron Well-Known Member

Exactly! Paypal all the way for me, both selling and buying. I'm aware there are sometimes problems with paypal and I am of course aware of the fees, but having to go to the PO and mess around with obtaining and mailing payment makes no sense to me. A large part of the reason I buy stuff on ebay is because of the convenience of getting the whole transaction done with a few clicks without leaving the house, at any time day or night. Having to take the time to travel somewhere to complete the financial end of what was supposed to be a convenient purchase just does not make sense to me.

It might be different if I could print a USPS money order off on my printer and mail it from home, but unless it is an item that I absolutely have to have (last one of those was 2 years ago) I skip right over every auction that does not have a paypal option.

15. BeckyW

BeckyW Well-Known Member

When I purchase something on ebay, aside from using PayPal, I also only purchase from sellers with 100 percent or 99 percent ratings.
    BW

16. PyroDon

PyroDon Well-Known Member

As a seller Ive had a lot of problems with mail service
    theres a black hole in at least one florida distribution center , I also notice everything seems to take two weeks from ks to mn or wi even prioritymail , going mainly for ups these days .
    ebay doesnt give a lot of options from the user CP for contacting the buyer .
    after 10 days I send a payment reminder , there have been a few times the payment had arrived but I had never seen it . in those case I apologized and doubled the order to make up for it.

17. stacygoats

stacygoats Well-Known Member

We've had no problem with e-bay or paypal, just the delivery service.
    DD ordered a book last week that she needed for class (campus bookstore was sold out) and had it sent out Fed ex 2 day delivery. It's been a week and the package is still lost. Seller supplied tracking #, which shows it in TN and then nothing. DD is going tomorrow to purchase a cupy from shipment now available at bookstore, seller will not refund the $80, because it wasn't her fault, but she is the one that has to process claim with fed-ex (What a mess).
    Had a laptop that took two weeks to arrive, again this was not the sellers fault.

18. DonnaKay

DonnaKay Well-Known Member

That's exactly why I don't enjoy most flea markets anymore....used to love going...now it's like going to a dollar store reject outlet :grump: Same thing with ebay..

Donna

19. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

On every message I've sent them I've told them that I would have appreciated them contacting me to see if there was a problem. I'm waiting till I get the item, but I'm certainly going to note this on the feedback and never buy from them again.

20. Charleen

Charleen www.HarperHillFarm.com Supporter

As a seller, you now have to be careful about selling those "Vintage Items" that ebay doesn't want you to sell. They recently pulled a glass Pyrex coffee pot off because they claimed that Pyrex will no longer warranty the item. When asked about ALL THE OTHER glass Pyrex coffee pots up for auction, ebay responded that they can't catch them all. At least they refunded the listing fees.

I suppose this could happen quite a bit with stolen items (car parts, etc) and I'm sure ebay has it's hands full with items like that, but if the item listing claims that this is a 'vintage' item, I would think "Let the buyer beware". This would hinder a lot of collectors out there.