Is cereal a snack? or a meal?

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by ceresone, Jan 22, 2007.

1. ceresone

ceresone Well-Known Member Supporter

Its not yet noon, and my husband is on his 5 th bowl of cereal- he had eggs for breakfast. he says cereal is not a meal, its only a snack--and when am i fixing a meal? soo--which is it, meal, or snack?

2. Beaners

Beaners Incubator Addict

Mine does the same exact thing. I usually let him say it's a snack because it's much better for him than an entire bag of potato chips or something like that. It never seems to fill him up either, I would much rather stop what I'm doing and actually cook something than listen to "chomp, chomp, chomp" half the morning.

Kayleigh

3. WindowOrMirror

WindowOrMirror ..where do YOU look? Supporter

snack... unless it's hot cereal with more than 1 grain type in it

4. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

5. FiddleKat

FiddleKat Mother,Artist, Author Supporter

5 bowls?! And eggs to boot!
    All Ive had is a Quaker granola bar this morning and two cups of coffee, and glass of orange juice.

6. Zookeeper

Zookeeper Well-Known Member

Hmmm...I would say *a* bowl of cereal is a snack, but FIVE?

That's more than I eat all day!

7. patnewmex

patnewmex Jane of all trades

Is he eating a children's cereal or a healthy alternative? (Well, that doesn't matter does it? But I had to ask!) May I say, he is a HUNGRY MAN! I can't get my husband to eat.

My question is this: What is the difference whether you call it a snack or a meal? HE's still consuming food. (or "A rose by any other name...")

8. doohap

doohap Another American Patriot

Alright, I got curious here and went to check the cereal box in the cupboard. This is Cascadian Farm Organic Raisin Bran. On the side of the box the nutrition facts state that with 1 cup of the cereal and 1/2 cup of skim milk the following daily value percentages are:

Total Fat = 2%
    That times 5 bowls is 10% of the daily fat recommended.

Cholesterol = 1% times 5 bowls = 5%

Sodium = 17% times 5 bowls = 85%

Potassium = 14% times 5 bowls = 70%

Carbohydrate = 16% times 5 bowls = 80%

Fiber = 24% times 5 bowls = 120%

WHEW! Now remember this is with SKIM milk and if your husband is like mine he puts way more than 1 cup of cereal and 1/2 cup of milk. We use 2% milk. Whole milk would REALLY up the fat intake.

Anyway, I was curious and would worry a bit about the sodium/potassium/carbohydrates. And, of course, if he's eating sugary cereals I'd be even more concerned. Looks like he should stay fairly "regular" though, considering the fiber content! :)

So, in my book, one bowl could be a snack ... more than one and it's a meal!

Peace and smiles,
    doohap

9. turtlehead

turtlehead Well-Known Member

He's eating it, so it's whatever he says it is :)

10. bgraham

bgraham Well-Known Member

My husband is the same way. He will eat at least 2 bowls of cereal after dinner as a "snack".

For me, I can eat 1 bowl of cereal as a meal.

Beth

11. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

once in a while ill have some rice crispies but for the most part all of it is junck food

12. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

Oh well if it's organic, it's a whole different story. Load up!

13. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

If it's 7-grain cooked cereal with chopped walnuts, almonds, and dried cherries added - it's a meal. (and a darned good one, I might add!)

If it's standard boxed children's cereal, it's junk food and a very occasional treat.

14. highlands

highlands Well-Known Member

We use cerial as a healthy snack, along with fresh fruit and veggies. This helps young growing bodies and those of use prone to getting nasty if we don't eat. :)

15. LvDemWings

LvDemWings Well-Known Member

Now you've done it. I couldn't figure out what I had a taste for and now I know. Captain Crunch. I may just have to tip over to the store and buy me a box.

16. culpeper

culpeper Well-Known Member

It's a meal if it's a single bowl at breakfast. It's a snack at any other time, and 5 bowls (I note you said 'so far'!) is pure gluttony. Mostly, it's stuff that is good for the compost heap. I'd rather eat the packaging it comes from than eat the contents!!

17. DixyDoodle

DixyDoodle stranger than fiction

I'm with mtman: most cereal is junk, and you might as well be eating candy. I would check the sugar amount. Just because it's "organic" or has raisins in it doesn't necessarily mean it's 100% healthy. Cereal companies (and any food company for that matter) are very sneaky on making you think you are eating healthy. (I reserve one of my biggest peeves for the potato chip industry, which has to be the king of the misleading ads).

I would say that if your dh is eating that much cereal, he is addicted to the carbohydrates (and maybe the sugar). He would be better off to eat oatmeal in smaller amounts if he enjoys cereal. It is more filling and healthier---provided he isn't dumping a cup of raisins (a lot of concentrated sugar) into it or just plain table sugar. A few raisins are ok, but there are just so many people that think raisins or peanuts and the like are totally healthy fare, and they can be, but they should be eaten in moderate amounts. A 1/4 cup of peanuts is healthy, 2 cups of them is not so great. Way too much fat.

Five bowls of anything at a time is not healthy either, IMO. I know, I have been there, having an eating disorder myself. I have to be very aware of what I eat, in particular with sugar and carbos, both of which give you a brief "high" and then a terrible low that forces you to eat more of the same to get back up there. So basically the more of it you eat, the more you crave it. A nasty and unhealthy cycle.

DD

18. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

Dixy....Organic means it is not Genetically Modified......which makes it 90% better than anything else. Pick your battles.

19. simpleman

simpleman Well-Known Member

It depends on the time of day. In the morning, it is a meal. At night it is a snack. At least for me, as I tend to eat more at night than during the daytime.

Ernest

20. Zipporah

Zipporah Well-Known Member

Depends on the type.Oatmeal,cream of rice,cream of wheat,I'd say is a meal.Kiddie junk cereal I guess would be a snack although a bad one.I do like the "twigs" on my yogurt.