Is broccoli supposed to bloom?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by MomOf4, May 31, 2006.

1. MomOf4

MomOf4 Well-Known Member

I have been gardening with my father since I could walk, but I don't have a green thumb...we must just be lucky having good soil, so the plants do their own thing... :)

Anyway, I was weeding my garden (that sea of green that has taken it over already), and noticed that my broccoli plants have these cute little whitish-yellow flowers on them.

Are they supposed to do that? Am I supposed to pick those off? I assume that's where the broccoli forms, but the plants look scragaley...

2. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

Yes thats the blooms you are seeing, folks eat. the undeveloped blooms of Broccolli and Califlower both. now if you have any bees near by you will have seeds soon.

3. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

i think that means you waited to long to pick it.

4. Peacock

Peacock writing some wrongs Supporter

Yup -- you're supposed to harvest and eat the green buds. If it blooms, or even gets too close to blooming, it turns bitter. All is not lost, though. Cut off the blooming sections and some side shoots may still grow in - pay attention and harvest them sooner.

5. goatlady

goatlady Well-Known Member Supporter

Broccoli is a cool weather plant and if the weather/soil get too warm too soon the plant "bolts" ,goes to seed to propogate itself. Happened to me also this year, so no broccoli heads until fall maybe, if I get new plants in at the right timing.

6. Shygal

Shygal Unreality star Supporter

Yup, your broccoli has gone by when you see the flowers.

7. zealot

zealot Soli Deo Gloria

When you have flowers, let them go to seed for next year's (or this fall's ) broccoli.

8. turtlehead

turtlehead Well-Known Member

Brassicas (cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, brussels sprouts) cross pollinate like crazy. Saving the seeds would be okay if no other brassicas have bloomed yet. They probably haven't, so she should be okay in that regard.

The seeds won't be worth saving if they're from a hybrid plant though.

9. anniew

anniew keep it simple and honest Supporter

Many broccoli varieties are hybrids, so even if you have only one brassica in the area, and let it go to seed, it will probably not give good offspring...Ann

10. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Guest

Blossoming broccoli means it's time to feed it to the hens. Mine love the stuff.

.....Alan.

11. WildernesFamily

WildernesFamily Milk Maid

Well.. I'm happy for you that your broccoli did *something.* :happy: Mine are just leaves. Nothing else happened with them, even though I closely followed instructions for when to start from seeds, when to transplant etc. I'm wondering if they'll do anything or if I should just pull them out and plant something else. Same thing with the cauliflower. :shrug:

The peas are doing great though! :dance:

12. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Yup, my chickens and duck had a broccoli feast yesterday!