Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Or planting seeds either??
And what is some good fall crops.
As a lot of you know, I got run over by the varmits at the begining of the year, but I have about cleaned the house. I haven't had anything eaten for a couple of weeks now. :dance:
I was just wondering how long some of you continue to plant things.
I am fdoing pretty well with what I know how and when to plant, (tomatoes, peppers, corn, okra, squash) but as I am still learning, and I don't even know what is good for a fall crop and when to plant.
I have been planting and replanting all year so far because of the varmits, and everything seems to be coming in faster the more I plant. I have some peppers that hasn't been out long and I had no idea they were already bearing fruit but they are already. Time wise, they are produceing way faster than what I planted at the first of the year.
I know I sure am glad I didn't give up on it. I have corn, tomatoes, peppers and squash running out my ears I wouldn't have had if I had given up.

Thanks
Dennis

·
Registered
600 Posts
I have cucumbers and butternut squash going in this weekend. I enjoy the fall garden. Find out your frost date for your zone to figure out how much time you have left. I am in zone 6a and still planning to get in cabbage, kale, turnips, at least one more crop of bush beans, carrots and probably others. If you post your zone, I am sure some of the experts here can make suggestions.
KB

·
Registered
626 Posts
I just planted out my fall cabbages, brocolli, and brussel sprouts plants the first part of July.

About a week ago, I direct seeded a large section of carrots and beets for the main fall/winter harvest.

At the same time, I planted another whole large section of bush beans... I plant them in about 2 or 3 week intervals up until about the end of August as garden sections open up from items "finishing" for the year - it keeps us in fresh eating green beans without the overwhelming deluge of a huge planting.

In mid August, I will plant the fall crop of kale (direct seed) and a large section of romaine lettuce to carry us through the fall. At the very beginning of September, I will plant a HUGE section of spinach which will be the fall and overwintered crop with a grow tunnel protection.

Already in the garden for some time now and growing for fall/overwintering harvest are the bed of leeks (lots of them) and parsnips.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I planted two more rows of corn this past weekend, and will be planting another row of squash in the next few days.

These will be second plantings, and I don't know how they'll do, but I figure it can't hurt to try. :)

·
Premium Member
2,180 Posts
It is hard to comment if we don't know what part of the country you are in.

In Western Wisconsin, we are continually replanting. We just put more cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, and kohlrabi plants in (I like to do everything I can as transplants), and carrots are just coming up. We are harvesting garlic and onions, and have been eating just about everything else for weeks or months.

·
Registered
5,388 Posts
What is your average first frost date? That information is critical for determining what and when to plant for a fall garden.

I just put in bush beans and cukes. Will probably put in lettuce, spinach, turnips, carrots. You can probably also plant broccoli and peas.

Bascially, though, you have to know your average first frost date. Then subtract a week or two just to be safe. Then see how many days you have between now and then. Then plant anything that matures within that time window.

Later in the fall (October, November) is when garlic and multiplier onions are planted.

·
Premium Member
3,891 Posts
Sure don't understand why folks don't fill in their location. Is there a reason?

·
Premium Member
6,622 Posts
I think the location information got lost recently. When they re-arranged the cooking/crafts forum I noticed my location disappeared. I went back and added it again.

·
Registered
16,519 Posts
I usually put in most of my garden in early spring then repeat it in the fall with tomatoes falling in the middle.

For next month's planting I have broccoli and cauliflower in pots; chives, onions, brussels sprouts, some flowers. I will direct seed turnips, beets, lettuce, spinach, carrots, sunflowers ( for the chickens) - and try replanting the potatoes that I just dug that were already sprouting. It is my first LARGE fall garden and I hope it works well.

·
Registered
7,576 Posts
zone 3. our first fall frost date is by mid september. Generally whatever is in the ground planted by now is what it ends up.
I just planted rutabaga seeds between the onions a week ago. When the onions are harvested, the 'bagas will continue growing and sweeten after the first couple of frosts. My carrots are just coming up between the snow peas that are about a foot high now. I replanted some swiss chard and spinach by seed. Generally our day temps after about the end of July continue to be in the 70's, so it's not unreasonably too hot for trying some late pea, or leafy greens for early fall harvest.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
HilltopDaisy said:
Sure don't understand why folks don't fill in their location. Is there a reason?
I think it's the black helicopters. If you put your location in, the internet bad guys will be able to find you and "get" you....

<big grin>

·
Premium Member
24,574 Posts
We're planning on trying a fall garden. I've got two varieties of beans just coming up and volunteer English peas popping up everywhere. I just planted some large bell pepper plants that Lowe's had on clearance and they are doing well.

In the next few days I plan to put out more carrot and onion seed, etc. As I clean out a bed I plant it with something else. I'm even planning a cold frame so I can try to raise salad greens all winter.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Planted cucumber seeds last week, some are over 2" tall already.

Going to plant broccoli seeds, spinach, peas, beets, carrots, lettuce, this week, not sure how it will turn out, never did a second planting before.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts