Is anyone here vegitarian?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Jeshan, Sep 23, 2004.

1. Jeshan

Jeshan Member

Or am I the only one?

2. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

Actually, there are quite a few of us :) !

3. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

My son and daughter are vegetarians.

4. lynpea

lynpea Well-Known Member

My whole family are veggies- been so for 15 years. lynpea

5. amwitched

amwitched Well-Known Member

6. TinaNWonderland

TinaNWonderland Well-Known Member

I'm a vegetarian, too! Actually, I call myself a "pesco vegan", since I do eat seafood on occasion, but no meat or dairy. I am wanting to wean myself on to eating eggs again, since I have some hens that will be laying soon......Okay, so all this is way more than you wanted to know, but yep, there are plenty of people here on many different levels of vegetarianism! :)

7. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

I eat deer and cows, so I am a vegitarian by association.

8. Jeshan

Jeshan Member

Im so glad! I was beginging to think that every one here hated vegans and vegitarians. Ive only been here a few days and already been called a peta freak :(

9. Jeshan

Jeshan Member

Really? Thats so wonderful! What changed to make your whole family convert?

10. Jeshan

Jeshan Member

I hope to get some hens soon too! I love eggs but am against the whole industry, its horrible! But I would love to have my own hens running around like we used to. They were wonderful! I miss them. They were so fun! We only had two, but they came when you called them. They also loved our other animals. They would sleep in our Pigs house with her (sometimes on her!) and they would come and eat with our barn cats!

11. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

There are 2 sides to that coin, I don't think you want to go there. :) I've been called some pretty nasty things by the PETA types. Not cool.

This is a friendly place, and room for all. So I'm not going to fan those fires. Just beware the extremists on most anything....

--->Paul

12. Cornhusker

Cornhusker Unapologetically me Supporter

I'm not but I should be.
    As Ron White says, "I didn't climb to the top of the food chain to eat carrots"
    :haha:

13. BamaSuzy

BamaSuzy Well-Known Member

I am basically vegetarian but do still consume some dairy products. I raise laying hens for the eggs (and they eventually die of old age as pets when they finish laying), Angora rabbits for their fur which I shear two or three times a year, and am raising two goats to be dairy goats....any offspring of the dairy goats will continue to live here with us because we have a large area for them to graze...any extra males will be made into wethers...

14. Vegetarian: Old indian word for "Bad Hunter".

During my earlier days before I learned how to be a good hunter I was a vegetarian also.

15. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

I am eco friendly because everything can be recycled into pork

16. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

I doubt anyone (well maybe one or two) hates vegetarians. What people don't like is being attacked for not being a vegetarian. Some of us have actually thought about it (as an issue of it's own, not saying you haven't) and have come to the conclusion that for us, or maybe to us, it is logical to not be vegetarian. I used to be vegetarian. Enjoy your tofu, I recommend worchestershire sauce with hot peppers.

17. Egee

Egee Member

Hello,

I am almost 33 years old. My parents turned Vegetarian in 1976, when I was 4. I am married, hubby eats meat. Our kids are 10 and 6 and they have been vegetarian all their lives. We do not eat meat or fish. We do eat eggs and dairy. I would love to someday be completely vegan. I just don't know where to start. Any ideas? Everywhere we go now for a meal, people freak out wondering what to cook for us. I can only imagine if I delete dairy and eggs from my list too. haha.

Veggies Unite!!

18. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

I'm omnivourous as is bascially the normal human diet. Love lots of vegatables and fruits in summer, though. Fish, dairy don't bother me. My philosophy is basically to Eat what you like, as long as it's not meant to be dictatorial towards what someone else chooses. A friend of mine ratioalizes that he's a middle man to the herbivore. The cow eats the vegetations and he eats the herbivore.

19. Lisa A

Lisa A Well-Known Member

I used to be vegetarian - 8 years or so (I did eat eggs, dairy, and rarely fish) I
    was quite happy with my diet and totally healthy. Now that we raise our own
    animals, I do eat some meat. I don't know what to call myself now - I'll only
    eat meat that I raised myself, I say "I'll eat any animal that I knew it's name"
    but I can't think of a catchy -arian word for that...

I think it takes people a long time to adjust to serving food to vegetarians or
    vegans, but gradually they will accept it and even learn; I always said just
    cook the meal and I'll skip the meat, but my mother had a really hard time,
    especially holidays... but she got it after a while. Ethnic food makes it a lot
    easier, and it also helped to suggest foods and menus.

What's hard is cooking a meal for a vegetarian, someone on atkins, and
    someone who doesn't eat wheat <sigh>. At least there's chili.

20. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

Never eat vegetables; ever.

I tell Herself that if God had wanted me to eat green stuff she would have given me four legs and a tail to swat flies with.