Is anyone doing this?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Sher, Dec 7, 2006.

1. Sher

Sher Well-Known Member

Hi..I was wondering if anyone had read Nautral Goat Care by Pat Coleby? And/or if anyone is raising their goats by this method?

If so..I would love to "talk" to you about it. Either here in this thread, by pm or even by phone. I am intrigued, but want to know about it from someone using it first hand.

Of course..a discussion about it from people who may have read the book or internet about it..but not put it into practice yet is very welcome too!

P.S. Farther down in this thread I have a question about a doe that I cannot seem to get fattened up. I could use some suggestions. Thank you.

2. PygmyLover

PygmyLover nigerian & pygmy breeder

I know someone who is raising their goats naturally - not sure if it is her method, but it does sound familiar. Pm me and I can give you her contact info.

3. Sher

Sher Well-Known Member

Thank you so much. I pm'd you!

4. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

5. Sher

Sher Well-Known Member

Thank you for the info Doc. I am really interested in the higher copper feeding as a preventive for diseases and worms. I was hoping someone had some knowledge about that. Thanks again.

6. PygmyLover

the girl I pmed you about is very much into that so ask her your specific questions and she will give you tons of information - she has helped me a lot.

7. Sher

Sher Well-Known Member

Pygmylover..I wrote her a book! LOL. That is so good to know..that she is using the copper. My webtv is having its share of problems in the email department..so I sure hope I get her reply today..

While we are at it. Question for ya..I have a five year old doe. Full Nubian. Weaned twin boer cross does off of her about two months ago. I should have weaned them sooner..as they really pulled her down. And..I might add..she was bred too soon in between kiddings.

That being said..her doe kids were great..no problems. My problem is Ora. She is skinny! I have wormed her. She gets alfalfa and a grain mix at night...yes..I am actually graining someone that is not milking or feeding kids.

I would like some suggestions for putting weight on her. She seemed to be last in the totem pole this time around. So I pulled her out of the bunch she was in and put her in with two recently weaned Dexter bulls and one daughter of hers from a year and a half ago. She wants nothing to do with daughter..daughter is a bit of a bully. So she hangs out sunning herself and eating her hay in the hut. At night..all four of them go into a little shed together and she snuggles up to one of the bulls that she seems to have adopted!

She has a great appetite. She runs when she sees me coming. She is just unthrifty..and I am very concerned about her. Thanks

8. computerchick

computerchick Keeper of the Zoo

I follow Juliette deBarcaili-Levy's methods of natural rearing. You'll find fiasco farms got a lot of her ideas/mixtures from her herbal books. Look for The Complete Herbal Handbook for Farm and Stable. Her stuff works!

Also quite fun to learn how the gypsies raise their animals! I've taken to doing the noontime walk through the woods with the goats on top of their pasture rotation and what a welcome break it is!

Andrea
    www.arare-breed.net
    www.faintinggoat.net

9. computerchick

computerchick Keeper of the Zoo

Sher - you said you wormed your doe - have you run a fecal? Possible there is something such as coccidia or other that wouldn't be covered by a wormer, or wormer resistance?

Andrea

10. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

I really like that book "Natural goat care Book". I have it and I use it all the time.

11. Key

Key Well-Known Member

I can't say that I do everything the Pat Coleby way (accroding to the book), but I do read that book for ideas/info at least once a week. I'd recommend it for anyone for alternatives. Sometimes I do think the natural way of handling things is so much better from all these manmade medicines. It's a must-have book. The other book I think is a must have is "Raising Meat Goats for profit" by Gail Bowman....great reading for any meat producer. Her ideas are very different from Pat's, but they both have tons of info for any goat person!

12. Sher

Sher Well-Known Member

Thank you so much for this information..I hadn't heard of her but will check into her. How cool to take your goats for walks! Thanks again.

13. Sher

Sher Well-Known Member

Have not run a fecal. It may be something that is not covered by a wormer..but I am pretty sure I don't have wormer resistance.

It's my own fault..she got pulled down with the twins..I should have known better.

Thank you..off to read up on coccidia.

14. Sher

Sher Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reply Key. Question..Do you or did you up your copper levels? And how did you do this? Thank you very much.

15. PygmyLover

Well from my experience it takes time to put weight back on. I to feed grain all year round. How much grain are you feeding her? HOw much alfafa pellets?

Leave out hay for her to eat all day. This will really help her put weight back on.

Give her a year off and see how she does. How long ago did you pull her kids? how old were the kids when you did so? You said she is dry now, did she wean them?

16. copperpennykids

copperpennykids Well-Known Member Supporter

I haven't read the Pat Coleby book (thanks guys, now I can go look it up!),
    but I know many breeders swear by their herd's improved health through increasing the copper levels, usually through bolusing 2-3 X / year or providing a mineral with high high copper amounts (many folks do both).
    Vicki McGaugh (she posts a lot, cuz she knows a lot) is a big believer in it.

17. Key

Key Well-Known Member

I haven't done anything specifically just with copper, but I love to read about the ideas....silly, huh? I have become a wiser consumer of pre-made feeds....looking for minerals and comparing the choices based on the conditions of my does. We do still mix some of our feed from our own fields as I know our crops are unsprayed and natural. I love the suggestions on Vit C and the stories from the book as well. One of my Amish friends actually told me about the book when we were discussing how sometimes I tend to rush to the vet when I really would like to keep my gals naturally. As things come up on the farm or I see any concerns, I think about different suggesitons in books, and pick one that fits me or call the vet. The more info I have, the better!
    The only other concern I have with some fo the ideas from the book is that I dont' know where to find some of the rememdies locally. I always have my eyes peeled though!

18. dap

dap lilsparrow

Great reading here guys! Thanks for asking the question and for all the great responses. Note to self: more books for Christmas list!! :)

19. Sher

Sher Well-Known Member

Hi PygmyLover..I started out slow on the grain..I am giving her a cup in the morning and two and a half to three cups in the evening. I usually only feed grain to the milkstand crowd or the ones who have kids sucking.

I feed 100% alfalfa. They have this year around. Even when the pastures are in great shape..cause I like for them to nibble on hay first thing in the morning instead of going out on the wet pastures when the worms will be up. We have fed them this same hay from the same two producers for six years.

We pulled them when they were four or four and a half months old. But she is a small nubie and they were two honkin big boer cross girls. Add to the fact that she got pregnant sooner than we would normally have liked.. Yes..if we can get her doing better...I think we will move everyone around so that she and Smurf who is a VERY small dexter heifer..who is weaned and as old as the other calves (older in some cases) but is just so small..together. They are a bit of the same personality too..just different species. Think we will put them both together..as I don't want either bred this year.

And I think she was well on her way to drying up when we weaned..I never even had her on the milkstand this year..usually she raises her kids and goes on the milkstand for four months. So yes..I do believe she needs a break to get back on her feet.

Thanks PygmyLover.

20. Sher

Sher Well-Known Member

Copperpennykids..

LOL..I wish I could take credit for finding that book..but a friend who has alot of goats..wanted me to read it and "fill her in on what it said" as she is sooo busy. I started reading it and it just was making so much sense that I am wanting to try it. I am hoping that Vicki will give some input on this too. Can't beat actual hands on experience..and that is what I am looking for.