Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,606 Posts
I don't think this is much different than having to clock in and out and sometimes waiting in line. If people weren't such thieves it wouldn't be a problem. I'm sure Amazon wouldn't be doing it if stealing wasn't a huge problem. It costs amazon to screen people.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Most purchases on amazon are merchant fulfilled, or even if coming from an amazon warehouse are from a small merchant, supporting a small business or household similarly to purchases made on ebay. Amazon does own some inventory, but most everything on there directly supports average people. I used to sell on amazon, both merchant fulfilled and fba.

·
Registered
14,353 Posts
"For low-wage workers across the country, lawsuits are one of the few ways to advocate for minutes and hours workers spend completing work or cleaning up after they have clocked out, said David Madland, managing director of economic policy at the Center for American Progress. In 2012, private lawyers and government agencies recovered $931 million in unpaid wages on behalf of workers as such suits are on the rise, Madland "

That quote describes the whole orientation of the article. Amazon should find ways to speed up the line, which they apparently have, but, the article makes a big point out of repeating the idea that the few employees involved in theft should not allow the company to penaluze the rest of the workers, it is silent about the fact that not doing security checks allows the employees to penalize the company.

·
Premium Member
11,554 Posts
If an employee is not allowed to leave the building and get in their car to drive home, then they are on the employers time.. They need to be paid if they are not allowed to leave...

Once again, this is a case of an employer wanting something from their employees and finding a way to screw them..

I had an employer that did a similar thing. I threw a hand full of pennies at him and told him he could keep his pocket change and walked out. It evidently started a retaliation against him because of his ways of not paying for work done. Evidently some employees I worked with decided they were sick of it too and filed complaints with the labor board.. I ended up getting a check or wages totaling several thousand a few months after I had left.. I heard it ended up costing the employer several hundred thousand dollars...

Reactions: Shoden

·
de oppresso liber
16,876 Posts
Simple solution put the time clock outside the security area so they have to pass through before clocking out then cut the hourly rate to cover the cost of the unproductive time.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Unless they are in a forced labor camp, the solution is simple. Pull out that resume and start looking for a job you will like better. I once left a job and took a 50% pay cut to get out of a job that I thought was treating employees poorly. We had to tighten our belts a while until I showed my worth to my new employer and worked my way back up the income scale. You don't sue - you just quit - simple. People filing a lawsuit for every blooming thing under the sun is why products are so expensive. All those legal fees and settlement checks get rolled right in to product prices and everyone suffers.

If the employment conditions are so egregious they will soon find it impossible to find workers and then they will change their policies or they will go out of business and another company will rise up in their place. It is a self correcting problem in a free market. Case in point - the job I left. They lost several key employees at a fairly rapid rate, ability to supply a good product suffered, and less than a year later were bankrupt and out of business.

·
Premium Member
2,585 Posts
Unfortunately I think that is standard practice for industry. When I worked at a Nuclear plant, if your job was inside the security area (there are office buildings outside for many of the personnel who don't need to be in the plant), you had to add time for going through the security gate to be at your job on time. During outages, this could often add 20-45 minutes - which is unpaid. Leaving the plant was much quicker. Non outages it usually added 5-15 minutes to your entry.

I would think in Amazon's case, they should add more security stations to decrease the time to get through.

A girl that used to babysit my children loves her job with Amazon in Louisville & says they treat the employees very well, so it might vary from location to location.

Dawn

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
If the job is so bad why work there?
It's not that bad. And people still work there.

I've done seasonal work at one of the Amazon fulfillment centers for two years now, about to start my third. I don't think I've ever spent more than maybe 2 minutes in line to get through security and even that was rare. Under 1 minute is closer to normal.

I don't know the specifics of the case filed but I believe that there have already been changes to remedy the previous situation that brought about the law suit.

Stuff happens. And sometimes, a company like Amazon will try to implement security improvements that don't work so well in practical terms. And so they adjust. Workers get bent out of shape and bring in the court system. Stuff happens.

I suspect there will be some compensation to certain workers that were made to wait for a longer than normal time just as a matter of minimizing the legal stuff. It's pocket change to Amazon.

Is Amazon my favorite place to shop? No. But if they have what I want at either the best price or for the best shipping option or some other reason to use them, I will.

·
acrebound
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I guess it is one of those things that there is always good and bad things about the company that you work for, and it's your choice to stay or leave. And yes, I will continue to shop there as I buy things form other sellers.

·
Premium Member
4,606 Posts
If you don't want to buy things from companies taking advantage of their employees, you shouldn't buy anything made in China (what isn't) or any third world country, as well as half the rest. It's a real conundrum if you worry about things like that.

·
Miniature Horse lover
25,219 Posts
"For low-wage workers across the country, lawsuits are one of the few ways to advocate for minutes and hours workers spend completing work or cleaning up after they have clocked out, said David Madland, managing director of economic policy at the Center for American Progress. In 2012, private lawyers and government agencies recovered $931 million in unpaid wages on behalf of workers as such suits are on the rise, Madland "

That quote describes the whole orientation of the article. Amazon should find ways to speed up the line, which they apparently have, but, the article makes a big point out of repeating the idea that the few employees involved in theft should not allow the company to penaluze the rest of the workers, it is silent about the fact that not doing security checks allows the employees to penalize the company.
A few years after I left the company that I worked for I received in the mail a class action suit, that employees had file to get PAID for the few minutes it takes to put on their gowns, gloves and bouffant. This was a computer parts manufacture, so it pretty much was a clean room working conditions.
Not sure if the workers won or not but i read LAUGHED OUT LOUD for what they were trying to get away with, and THREW the paperwork in the Circular File~!!!!! I was NOT going to take part of some nonsense class action carp.
After all we are NOT talking about some low pay low wage3 company here.
I left while still getting raises every 6 months and was at $14.50 when I left for medical reasons.. If I had still been there now I would be around 20 an hour if not higher, not bad at all for THIS PART of WI.

You see that is where this Horrible Hike in Minimum Wage would hurt.
MANY PARTS of the country and in every State SOME PARTS are LOW Incomes. PERIOD. But with that lower income comes lower cost of living etc.
And to raise the wages in THOSE parts of the different areas WOULD HURT in no uncertain terms the local economy of SMALL BUSINESSES.

And if these want some money for some time staring in line GET another place to Work, YOU KNEW UP FRONT what is what. Period~!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts