Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Jhn Boy ina D Trump world
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a steer that is going to be going to his birthday party in a much cooler place pretty soon. He loves alfalfa hay, and I have a plenty of it to give him, so I've been giving him a flake or so a day. He has been getting regular grass hay, lots of grain, but I spoil him with a flake or so of the Alfalfa daily. Is this okay to do?

·
Retired farmer-rancher
3,022 Posts
Alfalfa is fine for all cattle. Just so it is cured well. A flake or so a day will be good for him as it will raise the protein intake from his hay.

·
North of the Hi-Line
1,096 Posts
If you can afford alfalfa, then by all means feed it. As KF said, if it's cured well (dried and aged) theres almost no risk of bloat. Alfalfa is a top conditioner roughage and is darn good for gaining. You can feed a flake with some grass hay too, if you need to stretch out supply, they'll still gain well.

·
Jhn Boy ina D Trump world
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's what I am doing now. I am feeding grass hay and grain as the main source, but he still gets two flakes of rich alfalfa every evening. I can tell the biggest difference in him already; I can tell he is really packing on the pounds!

Thanks,

1 - 4 of 4 Posts