Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got a little piece of dirt paid for now...just north of Evening Shade, AR...here's a walk-around video, ( 15min of me huffing, puffing and rambling
)...and as a update; not a peep from anybody about a HOA/POA

but i haven't been able to get a street address AND i've had several question me about why i'm stressing the point... seems simple to me, but is it common to not worry about a street address? i mean how do you establish power and mail delivery (more importantly, UPS and other deliveries?)

·
Registered
818 Posts
i got a little piece of dirt paid for now...just north of Evening Shade, AR...here's a walk-around video, ( 15min of me huffing, puffing and rambling
)...and as a update; not a peep from anybody about a HOA/POA

but i haven't been able to get a street address AND i've had several question me about why i'm stressing the point... seems simple to me, but is it common to not worry about a street address? i mean how do you establish power and mail delivery (more importantly, UPS and other deliveries?)
A slice of heaven! So happy for you I am, Jerry!

Hoping you'll be able to live on the land, and your idea about erecting rock walls is so dandy!

In Canada, where we reside, rural or country dwellers rely on either a postal box (post office location), or community postal boxes, and as for deliveries, you may have to resign yourself to picking up things you've ordered or are expecting.

Either way, that property is so beautiful and peaceful. I will have my fingers crossed for you, and thank you for posting a video on it! :)

·
In memoriam
79,017 Posts
how do you establish power and mail delivery (more importantly, UPS and other deliveries?)
Check the county tax office.
They will know the address.

If it's on a mail route, just put up a mail box with the street number and the USPS will find you.
That will also help others.

·
Premium Member
26,245 Posts
The county tax office (at least in Ohio, YMMV) does not have anything to do with addresses. You cannot get an address for vacant land, not even if a house was there previously. You have to get a building permit and/or put up a building. Then you ask the post office to give you a house number.

An address is handy if you need to get utilities installed or for an emergency services location. If you have no plans to build soon or install utilities soon, don't worry about an address. I know several people with vacant properties who do just fine without having an address assigned to them. Just make sure your mail address is recorded on your deed at the county courthouse so you can get your tax bills.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
When we opened a shooting range on the back of our property we made another driveway to lead back to it. Needed a separate address for liability insurance and 911 purposes. Went to the local post office and they assigned us one. No permits or buildings required.

·
Registered
11,663 Posts
Yup, the two conflicting posts above show that you need to check locally on how to get an address for your property. When I got mine (raw land, never had a street number) I had to go through the county, (I forgot which department) not the post office and no build was necessary.

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
40,894 Posts
In the places I am familiar with (two states, several counties) the county and the fire department have worked together to have a system for addresses based on the distance from fixed points (intersections often) to your driveway.

Call the tax office and ask about your county.

Actually, that info is in the document in the previous post.

“The 9-1-1 Address Map when adopted and approved by the County Judge, shall be a part of this division. The 9-1-1 Address Map shall identify all street and road centerlines, address points and political boundaries. Paper maps shall have as reference, numbering centerlines and block numbering grids which specify address number changes. A typical section of land shall be divided into eight (8) blocks, or grids, north/south and east/west. Each grid interval shall be six hundred sixty (660) feet except in nonstandard areas identified on the map.”

·
Premium Member
18,147 Posts
You won't get an address until you have a permanent structure on the property.

Reactions: Witch's Broom

·
Saltine American
6,734 Posts
Not true in my part of Texas, Cabin Fever. I established the address based on the driveway location, before I started construction.

Your mileage may vary.
Didn't need a house on property Wilson County Tn, 1994

·
Registered
5,313 Posts
CF, I got a fire number and then built the barn on my property near you. The county did know I was going to pull a building permit for the barn when they gave the property a fire number but gave the number without a permit being pulled. That number then become my mailing address.

Jerry, You should have done due diligence before you bought the property. If there is an HOA you are probably stuck with it. Also good to have a survey done before buying. Property line put in by the seller may not be accurate. Good luck. Nice property.

·
Registered
11,663 Posts
You won't get an address until you have a permanent structure on the property.
Maybe in Miniesota, but sure not in my county in Arizona. Couldn't do nuthin' til I had an address.

·
Premium Member
18,147 Posts
CF, I got a fire number and then built the barn on my property near you. The county did know I was going to pull a building permit for the barn when they gave the property a fire number but gave the number without a permit being pulled. That number then become my mailing address.

Jerry, You should have done due diligence before you bought the property. If there is an HOA you are probably stuck with it. Also good to have a survey done before buying. Property line put in by the seller may not be accurate. Good luck. Nice property.
I am going off of what my experience was when I built (what is now) the guest cabin. This was before the e911 address system when you got a fire number from the community. You know, the little red embossed plate with a number and city name on it. Back then, addresses were rural routes and box numbers. At any rate, I had a heck of a time getting my fire number from the City of Emily and this was after the cabin was fully built. I suppose things changed when the county started issuing actually addressed based on the e911 emeergency system.

Reactions: Alice In TX/MO

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Given the times we live in not having an address where you own property may not be a bad thing at all. You could have a mail box at a post office and if you need something delivered arrange a place to pick it up.

·
Premium Member
8,419 Posts
I think you would need a fire address. Man called the fire department and said, "Come quick, my house is on fire!"

The dispatcher asked, "How do we get there?"

The man replied, "Well, don't you have that big red truck any more?"

:)

geo

·
Registered
427 Posts
County building permit office issues address numbers here. Can only get a number , if getting a building permit for a residence.
Tried to get one for my farm (no residence on property), would not issue one. Guy was a real butt head, told me "only I and God " can issue address numbers. Went to county commissioners, got him fired over that statement. Have been told if calling 911, tell them location is next to what ever closest number is.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts