Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A good neighbor made available to me rye seed that I planted in Sept. for the sheep. It is about a two-acre field. Last Friday I let the animals into eat for an hour, another hour on Sunday. Yesterday for two hours and today their poo is very soft and the color of the green rye.:eek:

Did I make a mistake in planting rye, or I allowed too much too fast?

I always feed a hefty supply of perennial peanut hay twice a day and the ewes get a cup of alfalfa pellets each day. They have access to a mineral block for cows.
Thanks for any advice.
Paul

·
In memoriam
79,016 Posts
Rye is fine for them. It's best at first to let them fill up on hay before putting them on it, but you havent done any damage.

·
In memoriam
79,016 Posts
I just noticed youre using cattle minerals
It's possible that there is too much copper in them that could KILL your sheep.
Take it out and buy SHEEP MINERALS

And loose is much better than a block

·
Registered
481 Posts
Good call Bearfoot!

there are some sheep that need copper, but I wouldn't chance a 'catch all' block without doing forage/nutritional analysis/testing by an expert!

Rye is high in nitrates, I know my sheep have 'dog terds' the whole spring season when the clover comes up, so maybe it's just a bit rich for them. Maybe if you graze it a bit less during the day for a bit until they build up to it? I would also keep an eye out for bloat!

Andrea

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
Rye and wheat pasture are high in protein and water content this time of year. It will go through an animal pretty fast.

I don't know anything about sheep but what we have done with cattle is to run bred cows on wheat for 1 day out of 3 using the wheat pasture for protein supplement basically and feed low quality hay the rest of the time. Once they calved they would stay on it all the time or every other day if it was short. Stocker calves would be on it continually. Bred cows on it all the time would get too fat and have calving trouble.

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
Paul, nothing wrong with your rye grass but the sheep are going on to fresh new grass and it will be going through them like a dose of salts. Both my sheep and cattle are doing this as they get a flush of spring tucker that has a lot of water in it.

Cheers,
Ronnie

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all. A buyer at Tractor Supply where I bought the block said that he uses this block with his sheep. This is the second one I've bought. There were no "sheep blocks" and I found loose minerals for the goats at a local feed store.

I let them out on the rye for an hour this morning AFTER I gave them a thirty-minute chomp on the Perennial peanut hay.

Tx again. Paul

·
In memoriam
79,016 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Do be careful with your minerals...cattle, goat and horse preparations are too high in copper for sheep. They won't kill them instantly, so it may appear that they are doing fine, but it is an accumulation that kills them. Perhaps the feed store buyer doesn't keep his on the hoof long enough for them to die of an overdose... They would be better off with NO SALT until you can get a sheep preparation, than allowing them access to too much copper. Do order some sheep minerals if your Tractor Supply cannot stock them...you and your sheep will be better off!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts