is a lump at injection place okay?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by maryanne, Aug 10, 2005.

1. maryanne

maryanne Well-Known Member

i vaccinated my boers today, there are small lumps at injection site, did i do something wrong? i pinched the skin up on the side on all 3. if i done something wrong I need to know so i wont do it again!

2. natybear

natybear Well-Known Member

You did nothing wrong. Some goats don't absorb the medicine as fast so it sits there for a while. I rub the vaccination site for a minute or so after shots. Also, if you put to much in one spot you will get the bump for the same reason. Be aware that the goats that get abcesses in these places usually get the bumps too. I would check these areas often after injections for abcesses. Hope this helps.

3. MoBarger

MoBarger Goat's Milk soap for sale

Sometimes this is also caused by the way you give the injection. Be smooth, be quick, and be sure you are in a good spot. Easy enough to say, hard enough to do when you have a squirming goat under your hand. ;) Another reason could be a reaction to the carrier liquid, but my vet (an *excellent* goat vet) says 9 out of 10 times it's the person.
    Signed,
    Guilty ;)

4. maryanne

It was me i know, I just feel better knowing they were given a vaccine!! it was the cd/t one. I need to give the case bac but am nervous now that 1 out of 3 got a lump from me. My first go round as a goat owner was terrible. i bought 4 and they had CL,I didnt do my homework or that would of been a huge deal to me, it wasnt when i called the original owner she said its a common disease in herds of goat, no biggy as she said. It was huge to me...anywho.....I got the case bac vaccine in the mail from jeffers and need to give it..

5. natybear

natybear Well-Known Member

Just make sure you read up on Goatworld.com about Case-bac. A lot of goats have nasty reactions and long healing times with case-bac. That's why Colorado Serum doesn't recommenc it for goats. Some animals have swelled and been inflamed for as much as three months. Blood tests and strict selection from other herds is the way I have gone instead of Case-bac....just my two cents, good luck

6. maryanne

you have helped me make my mind up, no case bac shots... they do not have CL well,I should say.. the buyers gave me written guarentee they they havent been exposed to it. I looked very well at the herd where i made my purchase and not 1 had a lump or anything as far as that goes. so I wont give the shot...thanks, your 2 cents worth helped.lol