is a gain of 14 1/2 lbs in one month normal?

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by punksheepshower, Jun 4, 2005.

1. punksheepshower

punksheepshower LiveLongLaughLotsPlayHard

my lamb gained 14 1/2 lbs in one month and i was just wondering if this was too much too little or normal. hes now 110 1/2 lbs. at 4 months and 3 days. lol..thanks ~stephanie~

2. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

Well, I don't know. My lamb went from 41 lbs to 53 lbs in two weeks. That was a 12 lb gain in 14 days...but he's younger than your lamb by a great deal, just 5 weeks and 7 weeks at those weigh ins. His brother is gaining at the same rate.

I suspect that the weight gain will slow as they get older, but am no expert on this. It would also depend on what breed you've got, and what adult weight might be.

I'm new to market lambs in 4-H, this will be DD's first year...when did you say your fair was? You're in the right weight range now, aren't you?

3. animal_kingdom

animal_kingdom Well-Known Member

my lambs gained 20 pounds their first month and gained 30 more pounds the second month. He's only 2 1/2 months old so I won't be weighing him another 2 weeks.

4. quailkeeper

quailkeeper Well-Known Member

Yeah I'd say you were a little heavy unless your fair was coming up in the next few weeks. Most kids here are just getting their lambs (around two months old), our fair is in September.

5. SilverVista

SilverVista Well-Known Member

I worked at the scales for fair weigh-in for several years, and helped record statistics for the market auction line-up. Market lambs had about 60 days, give or take, from initial weigh-in till fair weigh-in. Minimum rate of gain to be able to compete was 1/3 lb per day -- that's about 10 lbs per month. The average rate of gain that we would see was 1/2 to 3/4 lb per day, and the Rate of Gain Champion usually came in somewhere around 1.2 lbs per day. I never, ever saw a ROG champ place in the top 10, or even in the top 30 for that matter. They were usually very large-framed lambs, and it's hard to come out with a show finish when you're packing the weight on that fast.

Lambs always slow down the growth when the weather is hot, but you might also want to talk to your ag advisor soon about feeding for growth rate and the anticipated frame size for this particular lamb, so you don't end up with a "stale" lamb from being held down to acceptable market weights at the end of the summer.

Sounds like you're having fun and doing well with this big boy so far!

Susan

6. SmokedCow

SmokedCow Well-Known Member

This last 3 years our lambs have won Rate of Gain at our county fair and were in the top ten at state. We had a ewe gain 1.89 lbs aday!! so i think its possible!
    AJ