Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my does MAY be bred (but wouldn't be due for a few weeks). She is suddenly trying to dig holes everywhere (in the hay, in the dirt in exercise pen). Is this a sign she's bred, or is she just trying to stay warm? (cold snap)

·
Crazy Dog Lady
3,436 Posts
A few of my bred does have tried to dig in their cages if I was a day late putting in the nest box, and one of my does really tears up her nestbox once she has it if she's pregnant.

I haven't personally seen anyone digging due to a cold snap, but that's just my barn and maybe others have seen it.

·
Lost in the Wiregrass
8,884 Posts
digging is what they do, homones help encorage them to dig if they have the means to dig IN something, but a rabbit will dig just to suit its self, they are real earth movers if given the opprotunity, i really wish i could film my rabbits as they dig and re dig and reshape the dirt under the coop, they have so many tunnels and holes and hills under there it looks like a mars landing lol

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
a first timer will sometimes dig early in the preg. because the hormones get them going early. if she is not a first timer the same thing can happen but usually doesn't. i always give mine the box and just keep adding straw as they need it. i like to encurage good nest builders.

i have had does dig their little hearts out and it be a false pregnancy, which really drives me nuts cuz the nest is perfect and i start thinking "this doe is gonna be such a good mama" then ........ nada...... :mad:

i gave some of my does boxes to help them deal with the cold and the experianced does dug nests because,well, thats what they are supposed to do! experiance told them 'hey a nest, i must be preggers.......dig dig dig!!

so really what you get from my post is what!?! a big old MAYBE! only she knows :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts