Is 14 weeks too old to fry?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by r.h. in okla., May 23, 2006.

1. I'm late getting a few sold or in the freezer and am eating me out of money! Anyway I processed two 14 week old rabbits yesterday morning and am wondering if I can still fry them or if they will be too tough. I don't have a pressure cooker to make them tender first. Any suggestions.

2. cedargrove

cedargrove Well-Known Member

SLOW roast them over a wood fire and they taiste GREAT, I just did 7 that size last Sunday for a party and they were GREAT!

3. susieM

susieM Well-Known Member

The French don't even kill them, before that.

4. Thanks cedargrove and susie. I've been contemplating the roasting as I like to do wild rabbits that way. I'll just go out and fire up the grill and give them a try. I have to do some deboning first in hopes my wife will give one a try. I figure if I can keep it from looking like a cat then maybe she will try it and hopefully love it!

5. Well I had an excellant supper this evening! I deboned the back legs and flattened them out and grilled them along with the tenderloin section. Very tender. My oldest daughter, youngest daughter, and I thought we was eating chicken. My wife and my middle daughter didn't eat any. My wife is too much city slicker, didn't even try any, and my middle daughter is mad cause I killed some of her rabbits.

This was better then the last time I had eaten tame rabbit which was about 20 years ago. I think it was too old cause it was tough.

Thanks everyone for your help.

6. Tucker

Tucker Well-Known Member

HI ... If your family eats / likes BBQ You have 'got' to try it that way ,,

...take 1 - 2 whole rabbit (s) (at 9 - 12 weeks - ours dressed tend to be 2 1/2 to 3+ pounds depending on age) ,,

.. pre cook in water with onion bits , garlic bits , black pepper , 2 chicken bullion cubes ,,

.. 1 rabbit makes 2 pies when I make pies ,, ? for a family of 5 you might need 2 whole rabbits for chopped bbq sandwhiches ??

cook till done / tender ,, debone into small pieces > put all into a crock pot ,, I love honey bbq sause ,, add 1 'big' bottle of bbq to crock + 1/2 of the bbq bottle of water ,, stir meat - sause / water mix should just barely cover all the meat ... (only add extra water if all meat isn't covered with the sause) and let simmer on low in the bbq crock for a few hours ,,

my dog always took care of any 'evidence' that we weren't eating chicken ,,, lol ,, all bones would be gone ,, waay before family got home from work n school ,, they sure loved the chopped bbq suppers and 'chicken' pies I fixed ,, :angel:

I finally let youngest daughter (18) 'in' on what she had been eating for over a year ,, months after the rest of family was in on it :p ,, she was highly ----ed that I had been lying to her about what she had been eating :grump:

.. but when the pies that I was baking at the time got done ,, she still got two pieces of pie :) said since she'd been eating them she'd keep on eating them ,, lol but she won't cook one herself ,,

...... oldest daughter loves to fry rabbit and make a gravey to simmer the pieces in and make rice to go with ,,,

I prefer bbq :) ,, just can't hide the fact that it is rabbit if you bbq the pieces in a deep dish and don't shred into a crock to simmer ...