Iron

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by .netDude, Oct 14, 2005.

1. .netDude

.netDude Well-Known Member

In response to Laura's post about piglets dying, Ken S mentioned that lack of iron could be causing the problem. I just had my first litter 9/30, but didn't give iron shots. I do give them a shovel full of sod a couple time / week, and the do root around it in. Is that sufficient? I did read that it works for iron, but like I said, this is my first litter.
    Thanks -Greg

2. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

Hi Greg,
    Piglets are susceptible to iron deficiency anaemia and iron injections are given when the piglet at 24 to 48 hours of age of when the piglets reach 1kg in weight. Sows can manufacture enough iron for their own needs but not for their piglets. This would not be the cause of the problem Laura is having at present.

What your doing is fine - under normal circumstances piglets would get adequate iron from rooting around in the soil and it's only in penned pigs with no access to soil, that there is an iron problem.

Cheers,
    Ronnie

3. djuhnke

djuhnke Well-Known Member

I raiised my pasutre pigs and didn't give iron shots, they seemed to do fine. I was told they is enough iron in the grasses & dirt to give them what they are looking for.

Dan

4. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

Our vet told us even though we farrow in crates indoors, that our sows have enough iron stores to support the piglets because they are raised outdoors. We still give iron shots though when we ear notch. It is about $4 for a bottle and one bottle will do a lot of pigs.
    www.geocities.com/gonzalesshowpigs

5. jerzeygurl

jerzeygurl woolgathering

I have never given iron shots, always pastured tho, and introduce sweet feed.