Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
12,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My vision in my dominant eye is atrocious... wearing contacts is not an option, so I just suffer along with one good eye. Problem is, when shooting a long gun, I have to use a scope, and shoot with my left eye, right handed. It works.

I'm wrasslin with the merits of 'black' rifles in calibers .223, 7.62x39, and .308... most have built in iron sight systems. I looked and handled a lot of poor orphans at the gun show last weekend... and realized, hitting anything was going to be difficult, unless I installed a scope, either regular or one of the illuminated red dot types.

Question! If I plan on scoping a weapon, should I buy a flat top, and slap a scope on, or get one with iron sights, slap on a scope, Or, take the iron off, (and have it available for contingencies) and then slap on a scope?

Anytime I spend more than a hundred dollars on something, I educate myself as fully as possible.

Of course, the weapon would only be used in a bad times scenario, when firepower was king. My hunting weapons would always be more accurate, way out there...

·
Premium Member
4,031 Posts
I would buy a flat top, put some back up iron sights on it and go from there. In my experience, the scope mounts that fit in the carry handle of an AR15 do not hold up well to any kind of sustained fire and always come loose. (per DH, who's a gunsmith, reading your post)

·
In memoriam
79,017 Posts
I'd also go with the flat top. Mounting the scope as close to the barrel as possible is more accurate. That's assuming youll still be able to see through the scope with your "off" eye.

Iron sites as a backup would be a plus

Something else you could experiment with in light calbers such as the 223 is to grip the gun just as you would to shoot right handed, but mount it on your left shoulder.
Then you wont be leaning over the stock to line up your eye

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
Check out the red dotsights from Trijicon. There's another manufacturer that supplies the military also but I can't think of it at the moment. Very easy to use and accurate.

·
In Remembrance
1,625 Posts

·
Mountaineers are free
945 Posts
Which scope did you go with? All the shorter ones I have seen seem to have poor optical and really poor light gathering. I am interested in knowing what you are using as I may need to make a new purchase.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello, new guy here, I've been lurking and studying here for a while, but now you've hit on a subject I do have some experience with!

Have you tried a red-dot sight? on my Evil Black Rifle, I used an Aimpoint red-dot.
One of the ways I used it was to look through it with my right eye, and keep my left eye open also.
After a bit of practice, I was able to "overlay" the vision from my right eye onto the left eye. the end result was that I had a wider field of view, including my peripheral vision, and still had the advantages of the red dot.
Most of the time, I even kept the front cover on the aimpoint, preventing me from seeing through it to the target completely! (and it was still quite accurate)

You might give that a try.

As a former instructor, I've had students in your situation, it is VERY difficult to work around, but it can be done.

·
Registered
13,422 Posts
I've got a similar problem, Texican. My depth perception at range doesn't seem to line up (suspected due to a head injury). With a scope I do fine, and with open sights I do ok at short ranges. I can't do what Lukem is describing however. I've got to close the bad eye.

·
In Remembrance
1,625 Posts
Which scope did you go with? All the shorter ones I have seen seem to have poor optical and really poor light gathering. I am interested in knowing what you are using as I may need to make a new purchase.
I may take some flak because I went real cheap. I'm looking for a hog rifle and not a tack drive or elk gun. I used Rifle Scope and receiver new cover fits REAL tight and I've been getting 5 shot 50 yd groups of 1 ½". Good enough for the hogs I go after. Look about 2/3 of the way down the page. If you want a tack driver, you'll need to go somewhere else. I used the good scope on the Browning.

·
Premium Member
1,051 Posts
Hey Texican, you might wanna check out the holosights. Your eye does'nt have to be directly in line with it. Best way i can explain 'em is they have a curved back lense, you don't have to worry about anything except pulling the trigger when you see the reticule on the target. works sorta like the sights inna jet fighter plane..:cool:

·
Registered
12,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'd also go with the flat top. Mounting the scope as close to the barrel as possible is more accurate. That's assuming youll still be able to see through the scope with your "off" eye.

Iron sites as a backup would be a plus

Something else you could experiment with in light calbers such as the 223 is to grip the gun just as you would to shoot right handed, but mount it on your left shoulder.
Then you wont be leaning over the stock to line up your eye
I do shoot left handed, when circumstances warrant... like a first time up lean to stand, deep in the woods, and a monster buck walks up on the 'wrong side'... and that's with a .300winmag :)

I have scopes on pretty much all of my rifles, and a few hunting pistols. If I had a scope on the AR, I would consider one of the aimpoint type scopes... saw a youtube video of one of the holographic sites... if they weren't ~300, I'd have to have one...

·
In memoriam
79,017 Posts
I have scopes on pretty much all of my rifles, and a few hunting pistols. If I had a scope on the AR, I would consider one of the aimpoint type scopes..
They are really fast to use at short to medium range, but you will lose some accuracy potential at longer distances because the dot covers a lot of the target.

They are WONDERFUL in low light though

·
Premium Member
18,147 Posts
All I have to say about this subject is to watch out for those scopes, they can bite you! Yesterday was the second time in my life that the scope "bit" the bridge of my nose!

·
Registered
189 Posts
I pick up one of the red dot sights at walmart the other day for $49. Yes, I know it a cheap pill of dog poo, but befor I drop $300 + I want to know if I am going to like this type of sight. If it works ok, I'll put it on Ebay for $30 and get a better one.

·
I am good without god.
858 Posts
Better to have a non magnifying red dot, perhaps with changeable dot size and/or sighting preference (dot, circle with dot, etc.), for quick hits.

For distance a sight like the Trijicon with multiple illumination options would be better for such described purposes.

If you want more precise aiming at distance, a large 44mm to 50mm scope with mildot reticule would be better, but at the expense of being heavier and slower to use.

There is not such thing as a free lunch. The sights that are quick to use sacrifice precise shooting at distance. The sights that are good for precise shots at distance sacrifice speed and quick close up target acquisition.

·
Registered
13,422 Posts
Are the red dot sights the ones that extend the long laser beam out into the darkness and pinpoint the target? I would think that, firing from a defensive position, I wouldn't want anything extra to help identify my position to people other than my target.

How visible are those red dots anyway?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts