Iron, Iron Everywhere

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by smumitson, Jun 11, 2006.

1. smumitson

smumitson Well-Known Member

We have A TON of iron in our well water. We have a water softener, but that doesn't touch the amount of iron we have. It is a good well as far as never running dry though.

We have to wash all our light clothes at the laundromat in town as every the water touches gets stained. I hear there is a filter just for the washing machine? Anyone know about it? We've looked into whole house filters, but they are 1000 bucks!

Also, we are trying to fill a pool...It is so full of iron. It stains the kids swimsuits. I know bleach makes it worse. Anyone have this experience?

Thanks,

Kids
    Kidsngarden aka smumitson

2. arabian knight

arabian knight Miniature Horse lover Supporter

For one thing water softeners are not for iron removal. I had so much iron in my well water a few years ago I had 2 tanks to take the Iron Out. These were Not Water softeners but Iron Tanks. My water had what was call Iron Forming bacteria, and not much one can do either drill down deeper, or Treat and even those 2 Iron tanks didn't take the iron out 100% but did a fairly good job.
    Hee is what is used in those types of iron filters tanks

Chlorine, potassium permanganate, aeration followed by filtration, using greensand, Birm, cartridge or bag filters
    I had the greensand and Brim in 2 Tanks.....

Oh I could have poured Bleach down the well but if not getting WAY into the formation the stuff would just grow back. And BTW my family at that time was In water well drilling also and my Dad a City Plumbing inspector so the knowledge I am putting down comes from a reliable source for sure.

3. MoonShine

MoonShine Fire On The Mountain

The water here is a little iron-y. I wouldn't wash a good white dress in the water,but I don't mind washing socks and stuff like that. I won't complain,though...because I saw much worse at my aunt and uncle's house. Oh wow,I've never seen anything like that before...it would completely ruin their clothes. I hope you find out a way to take care of the problem!
    P.S. Have you been washing your hair in the water? I went to a salon once,when I was younger,and the beautician knew right away that my water contained iron. She gave me this special shampoo to wash my hair with....you wouldn't believe how much iron flaked off of my hair with that shampoo. You can't see it usually,but it's there! Good luck :)

4. free-2-b-me

free-2-b-me Well-Known Member

The former house we lived in for over 20 years had a well that had iron bacteria . It got so bad it pretty much clogged all of our plumbing. We had an in line water filter and that caught the majority of it . About 2 years before we sold the place we had a fella come out . He helped us un plug the lines and shocked the well with bleach . He told us to add a cup of bleach to the well once a week . That's about the only thing that we could do . The well was only 40 feet deep . It never ran dry - even in the really dry years . He said digging the well deeper would bot help as the bacteria would still be present.

5. Rita

Rita Well-Known Member Supporter

The happiest day of my life was when we saw the big machine digging thru the solid rock along our lane to make the ditch for city water. We tried everything to get rid of the iron and did read later that well drillers can bring that bacteria in on their equipment and infect an otherwise clean well. If we ever have a well dug again we will insist on them disinfecting all equipment. They said not to even use water from a nearby creek or pond in the drilling process as that can also infect the new well.

6. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

I gave up fixing our iron problem....it would cost more than I can gather...besides, I get all sorts of compliments on the stawberry blonde color of my hair.

7. DW

DW plains of Colorado Supporter

We bought every system that Sears had and it took weekly maintenance. We could do laundry & bath but we never drank it. Our son was little at the time and we did not want stained teeth. Our sinks did not stain either. We would fill up the water jugs at a machine for $.25 a gallon to drink. Then we broke the bank and bought "city" water for mega bucks but have never regretted it. When we started, this was not available or we would have went that way first. When we first drilled our well, the driller said the yellow would flush out...ha...ha...it never did!

8. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

We had alot of iron in MI....had a sand filter on our line in from well and took care of most of it. In the pool we used muratic acid...actually precipatated the iron out in pieces that could be vacumned up!!! Must say it is healthy enough...Hgb's in the 16's always; even when pg! DEE

9. smumitson

smumitson Well-Known Member

Found "pool magnet" to get the iron out. Some king of Cleating agent I guess. That pool is SOOO orange you can't see the bottom! I think we have something like 6ppm of iron which is VERY bad. Common in most is like .5ppm.

I think that I will have the water tested again for the bacteria - because no one has said that's it.

Thanks for the suggestions!

kids

10. egads1

egads1 Member

We had the same problem at our place in the mountains, and solved it by installing The Water BOSS from Lowe's. Works GREAT!! Cost was $500-$600, and use Postasium Magenate(sp), that mixes with the resin bed to help flush the iron out during the backwash process. Our was soo bad you couldn't drink the water. Hope this helps.