iron in water

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Mommalee, Oct 23, 2004.

1. Mommalee

Mommalee Well-Known Member

howdy all,

We've lived in this place for a year now, and our whites have become dingier and dingier (sp?) because of the iron in the water. I don't like using bleach. Anyway, I'm finally buying everyone new underwear and socks, but I'd like some ideas on how to keep them white. We rent, so buying a water softener is not really an option -- they are pretty expensive anyway. Is there something i could just add to the wash to keep the clothes from turning orange?

2. Epona

Epona Member

you could always try some baking soda, or oxyclean [ersonally i find it to be a spendy addition to your laundry and not any different than baking soda and we have bought water softener salt in bulk bags cheap and just added a bit in the washer only for doing laundry,its either that or bleach anyways I hope this helps you out...

3. havellostmywings

havellostmywings Well-Known Member

bleach is going to be your best bet,
    but since you dont like bleach...
    I am assuming you mean cholorine bleach... so try a color safe bleach that doesnt have the cholorine in it or soap with a bleach additive... you might also try some bluing... you should be able to get that in most markets...

good luck

Lynn in texas
    who believes bleach is the best cleaner in the world..

4. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

un plug the iron , and remove it from the washer, and it should help !

actually, blueing would be the best bet, or baking soda in the water,
    or you could get a singlein line use water filter for on the washing machine, since you didnt complain about taste , i assume it tastes fine .(hardware store should have them)

5. Jan in CO

Jan in CO Well-Known Member Supporter

My brother in law and his wife have a home in Northern Colorado Springs with this same problem, although they have a filter and water softner, they also use some product sold by the Melaluca company that helps, although I don't know what it is. Got that when the filter didn't do the job. Their neighbor recommend it. Sure glad we don't have that problem with our well, as it can be a beast to get out of your clothes. Jan in Co

6. HoosierDeb

HoosierDeb Well-Known Member

I have the same problem. I use a product called Iron Out but if you don't like bleach you sure aren't going to like this stuff... it gives off a choking cloud of... something when you add it to the water. In my experience, bleach doesn't touch the rust and this is the only way I've found to be able to wash my white clothes at home. I hate dragging them to my parent's or the laundramat. The package says to add it to the wash water but I end up having to add it to the rinse too, just not as much. I do find that the hot water seems to cause more problems than the cold water but I also found that draining the water heater from time to time will help with that too.

7. deb

deb Well-Known Member

You can rent water softeners too. The last house we rented had very hard well water with a ton of iron in it. We ended up renting a new water softener that removed hardness & iron for $15.00/month. Not cheap, but it worked really well. It used very little salt and we never had any problems with it. Removing the hardness also meant that I used less a lot less detergent, soap and shampoo. Our hair and skin was less dry and itchy. All of the faucets and showers started working so much better after just a week of using soft water. We rented the house for 3 years and when we gave our 30 days notice of moving, we also called the water softener company to arrange having the softener removed. The company came, uninstalled the softner, cleaned up in less than 20 min.
    deb
    in wi