Iron in water discoloring hair

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by LaurieP, Jan 3, 2005.

1. LaurieP

LaurieP Active Member

Our water is very high in iron (and manganese), and my mostly gray hair is looking a bit orange in places. I've been using a clarifying shampoo for a few weeks, but it hasn't helped much. Does anyone know a nontoxic way to remove this? Any homemade remedies?

2. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Have you tried catching rainwater? If you can't do that try washing with distilled water. Mine tends to yellow if I use city water. But it clears with castille soap and rainwater.

3. LaurieP

LaurieP Active Member

Yes, we do collect rainwater for drinking, but until our house is finished, I'll be using this water, as that's what's piped in. I do have a camp shower, and could feasibly shower with this, but at 5:45 in the morning, I'm not likely to. I was hoping to find something simple I could use. Thanks for any suggestions.

4. Erica Calkins

Erica Calkins Member

I'm not sure if this will help but I had the same problem. Years ago we lived with Grandparents (about 14 yrs ago.) and the pipes were so rusty that when I took showers my hair turned orange colored because of the rust!!!!!! It truly sucked because I am a blond! :~) Any way's I had to use a perm mix to wash all the orange out of my hair. That was the only thing that worked! I even went to the saloon to remove it and everything they tryed before the perm mix didn't work. The perm mix was the last test!

Is there a all natural way to perm your hair? If there is just wash your hair out with it and you may have to do it a few times depending on how bad the orange color is. I sure hope this helps!! Erica, Mich

5. LisaBug

LisaBug Well-Known Member

Try lemon juice or vinegar. Both are acids that should cut any build up on your hair. It's something I never thought of at the time.

Before we put in the Iron Curtain I was asked if my hair was auburn or red. Asking a natural blonde that really hurt. :waa: I ended up going to the local beauty parlor and getting my hair stripped. After that I used a special shampoo until we had the iron system in.

LisaBug

6. HoosierDeb

HoosierDeb Well-Known Member

I think there is something you can get at beauty supply stores that you can put on it. My sister used to use it when she worked here because she lightened her hair and the rust in the water would make it real brassy.

7. LaurieP

LaurieP Active Member

Thank you all for your suggestions. Brassy is the perfect word for what my hair looks like. I'll try the lemon, and vinegar, and if that doesn't work, see what the beauty supply store offers.

8. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

This is actually what blueing was used for by the little ole ladies, to keep their brassy grey hair white. It works well on clothes as well. We use it in our dog and goat shampoo, I raise Nubians and show them it makes them glisten, I raise Shihtzu's and with them running on the ironore road their pretty white underbellies stain quite eiasly. Peroxide and milk of magnesia is also a show dog trick. They make wonderful livestock shampoos for making white hair really white, and it all contains blueing, you can tell by the dark blue and purple color of it. Vicki

9. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

Why not simply put a shower filter in? They make filtering showerheads and it might be worth the expense to save using chemicals, etc. on your head. Plus the whole family would benefit.

10. LaurieP

LaurieP Active Member

LisaBug, I tried apple cider vinegar (with some lavender essential oil) yesterday, and it got most of the iron out. I think once more will do it. Vicki, do you add bluing to your dog & goat shampoo(or buy premade)? If so, how much? Also, do you put straight Milk of Mag & peroxide on, or mix in with shampoo? As far as a shower filter, I'm trying to keep from spending any more money on this old trailer; trying to put all my money in the house in progress, which we're plumbing to have the option of using well water or rainwater (same well as now). An aside- we finally got our stovepipe hooked up yesterday, and I cooked my first meal on our wood cookstove (boiled water for pasta :eek:)

11. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

:) Once you get it really clean. just use water that you get at the market to wash and rinse. This will hold you over until you get your house done.

:) LQ

12. Marchwind

Marchwind Fiber Arts forum Mod. Supporter

Southwest Michigan by way of the Northwoods of MN
    I have the same problem with my water. You can get what is called a Malibu treatment at the salon but I am told they cost a lot.

What I do and it does work is mix a small amount of Iron Out into a basin of hot water. I take that into the shower with me and dunk my head in that for a few minutes and swish my hair around in it. It works great! I do this before I wash my hair. I use it once a week or less often depending on how red my hair looks.

I also get a salt for my softner that is supposed to take iron out. It helps too.