Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What am I doing wrong? I planted a 1/4 acre of iron clays they are up 18" plus the deer are walking thru the pea's but do not touch them! I have read that deer love them but maybe not.:hair

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
the deer got fat on my cow peas, ate all the tops off the plants. Maybe yours have other foods that are more desirable?

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
This time of year, too many acorns and wild greens ... They will tear peas up in June, July... Clover, turnips, and oats are better this time of year...

·
Saltine American
6,589 Posts
Deer walked through my garden all year and didn't touch my peas until the hay was cut the second time. Since then they have ate my peas, black beans and limas.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
What gets me is when they eat just the pods and blooms and leave the stalks... Even had 'em eat my okra, pods and leaves, one year...

·
Registered
7,576 Posts
Don't know about peas, but you might want to consider
planting Brussels sprouts.
One year I had an abundance of Brussels sprouts growing
in the garden. I harvested enough before an early snowfall
in mid October. Brussels sprouts are very cold hardy, still
Good under the snow . They get sweeter after frosts.
It was like a deer magnet. The deer came in chewing down
the sprouts. They were all over that patch until they cleaned
it out . They really loved it. The variety is Oliver.

Reactions: arcticow

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Sounds like the folks who plant an extra row of cabbage for the moose...

·
Premium Member
8,840 Posts
Maybe they need a little enticing.Broadcast a couple of five gallon buckets of yellow shelled corn in those peas for a quick fix.

Around here when they hear those acorns falling,shelled corn and sex is about all that will get their attention.

After a couple of frosts, oats,turnips or forage radishes works for me if the acorns are gone.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts