Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While perusing the regional C.L. adds I ran across this. never heard of them before. Maybe it is a real thing and maybe someone just made up a name for a bunch of mixed up pigs??? Anybody here ever heard of them?? Just sounds like some kind of marketing ploy to me, but maybe I am just being biased in my opinions?

IRON AGE PIG.......Here is a description of them from The American Society of Animal Science, "TAKING STOCK".
Through some clever breeding, farmers in the United Kingdom have created a swine breed that they say resembles pigs circa 10,000 BC.
The "Iron Age pig" is a cross between a European wild boar and a Tamworth. Tamworths are a rare reddish breed descended from herds in Ireland. In the 1980s, swine breeders figured that a wild boar and a Tamworth cross might look a lot like the pigs in prehistoric cave art.
Today's Iron Age pigs do have some wild traits. Their young are born with stripes that fade with age. They are also known for being much slower growing than domestic pigs.
Iron Age pigs are raised in Europe and sold as specialty meat. They aren't easy to find.

We cross Tamworth sows with a Wild European Boar ........if you want to taste the leanest, most delicious pork that you have ever eaten. Have me deliver one of these "Iron Age Pigs" to the butchers for you. They have been pasture raised, and fed all the extra produce from our garden. The last month, they have been gorging on acorns.

·
Registered
473 Posts
MM - you had some with stripes a while back. We currently have some as well from a Hamp/Hereford breeding. Maybe we have a recessive Iron age gene? :D

This isn't the best pic - but one of the striped ones is in the upper right. How unusual is it to get stripes? I must have missed the visit by the wild boar.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SF, Now I don't know what to do? Do I ask more for my piglets cause they apparently have Iron Age blood in them or are they worth less??? Maybe we should come up with a new breed of our own?? Maybe I have "Large Black Iron Age" pigs and did not even know it. You know Black is a really rare color for pigs, so I will need to charge more for that?? Unless I have some spotted pigs like yours next litter, then I will have to go with "You know spotted pigs are rare, so I have to charge more for that" Better get your, black, white, spotted, solid color pigs now, before they are all gone, cause they are hard to find and really rare!!!

Good lucking bunch of pigs you got there BTW, nice camera work also. I usually think I have some good pictures then when I get inside looking, I find I had some piece of junk in the background or something?? A man does not realize how hard it is to get good pictures until he starts trying to take some.

·
Premium Member
727 Posts
I googled Iron Age Pigs and apparently they got the description from cave art. They look pretty gnarly. I wouldn't want the aggressive temperament no matter how good the meat is. As mentioned before, I think it's marketing but still the cross is interesting.

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Woodsman, seriously, with all the technology we have today. DNA, carbon dating, computer generated imaging. We don't have a clue who killed Nicole Simpson a few years ago, but we can tell you exactly what happened 10,000 years ago somehow??? Right!!!

Or, just maybe??? They found some old Polaroids with the date written on the back, that had been preserved in a fossilized state in some monkeymans purse??

·
Registered
759 Posts
i saw that craigslist ad also i wonder what the DNR would have to say about it ? i am looking for a large black or similar feeder sized boar for when i get these couple gilts i brought along from indiana grown out to breed i wouldn't even consider that cross. I believe most all of it is marketing gimmick there are 3 kinds of pigs pure breeding stock , feeders , and wild to me none of the breeds really demand a premium colors and spots dont matter much either . i do prefer darker colored pigs as they dont seem to sunburn as bad

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There is a market for wild stocker pigs. I am not interested in it, but it is there. When I bought my Tamworth, the guy had a wild black sow he had caught as a piglet while hog hunting. He said while it took him a few weeks normally to sell his Tamworths, the wild pig crosses would usually sell out in one day. His clients were mostly people looking to turn them lose in fenced areas then go back in and hunt them for sport?? Like I said not my thing, but the market is there it seems.

·
Registered
229 Posts
There's hunting of course and also a general movement to "older" production methods and stock-I think the slow food and interest in heritage breeds evidences this. The market will decide the fate of this. The fact any of us small holding homesteader types can sell enough pork to make it worthwhile shows a trend toward it, in my opinion. If folks desire old genetics in their pork or other traits, I hope I can show the foresight and marketing skill to serve that need.

Now, myself, I don't imagine adding a lean-type hog to my own stock (the so-called Iron Age hog description provided there says its lean). So I'd probably pass on it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts