Homesteading Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,606 Posts
One of our neighbors tied Irish Spring in bag all along the sides of his hay field. Lots of soap. It did not stop the deer at all.

Be careful with moth balls, they are poison to dogs and cats.

·
Premium Member
11,250 Posts
I just couldn't resist.

What does Irish Spring smell like? Lavender, peppermint, eucolyptus?

I only recognize one name on this thread. How about you? Reminisce.

"Fresh and clean as a whistle" :D

The old formula smelled like a strong aftershave. It got changed in the mid-1980s to something a little less intense and a bunch of variations introduced.

Which brings up a point - a lot of folks don't remember what people smelled like before triclosan got added to the deodorant soaps. Part of the allure of smoking back then was not smelling the stench of rotting armpits and clothes that had the odor of locker room floors.

A neighbor (successfully) uses the Irish Spring to keep deer from his garden. The fragrance might have something in it that is related to a perceived predator. Civet oil is commonly used as a perfume base.

The civet is a small, carnivorous wildcat native to Africa and India. The musk produced by a gland at the base of the tail is widely used as a perfume ingredient in North America and Europe.

·
de oppresso liber
16,879 Posts
Oh well. :rolleyes:

My dogs are useless (but cute --- albeit very large) couch potatoes. :rolleyes:

Guess I'm stuck with mothballs. :no:
My dogs are large cute and think they are mousers! They almost tip the shelves over trying to get at critters.

FYI I haven't found that mothballs work either.

·
Registered
587 Posts
If you lived closer, I could loan you my stone cold killer cat "Missy" and her equally adapt sister "Baby". No mouse, rat, chipmunk, mole, vole, rabbit, squirrel, frog, lizard, bird, or insect is safe from this pair. Mighty hunters, they are.

I understand Jack Russell dogs are great at killing snakes and rats. Also, geese, ducks, and guinea hens are snake killers. Somewhere on the net is a picture of a rattlesnake surrounded by guineas, screeching and pecking.

Good luck with whatever you do!

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
I have tried bars of soap of every variety trying to repel deer. The deer do not care one bit. Perhaps if they were country deer rather than city deer they would not be so used to all the smells and would be wary. Here? Not so much.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
"Fresh and clean as a whistle" :D

The old formula smelled like a strong aftershave. It got changed in the mid-1980s to something a little less intense and a bunch of variations introduced.

Which brings up a point - a lot of folks don't remember what people smelled like before triclosan got added to the deodorant soaps. Part of the allure of smoking back then was not smelling the stench of rotting armpits and clothes that had the odor of locker room floors.

A neighbor (successfully) uses the Irish Spring to keep deer from his garden. The fragrance might have something in it that is related to a perceived predator. Civet oil is commonly used as a perfume base.

The civet is a small, carnivorous wildcat native to Africa and India. The musk produced by a gland at the base of the tail is widely used as a perfume ingredient in North America and Europe.
I did read that Irish Spring changed their formula to something less strong smelling, so maybe it did repel deer back then. Essential oils and fragrance oils are expensive, it would cost less to put less in the soap. I read somewhere that Irish Spring has had 10 different formulas, smells.

I was making soap last night and fir needle and lavender seem to have that familiar Irish Spring smell.

"manly yes, but I like it too." :eek:

The civet musk, like the muskrat musk, is used as a fixative in perfumes. Beaver castor and skunk musk are also used. Castor is also used in beaver lure, for males to remark territory and females for breeding purposes.

If you've ever tried to find an unscented lotion or deodorant, you'll often find that the musk smell is in those items, just not additional chemicals to add more smell. So while most people won't even notice the musk when it is combined with other smells, I can smell it in the unscented items. I've taken to making a mixture of oils, wax, and distilled water with a preservative for lotions.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts