IRiS turns 1yr old on April 16th

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Slev, Apr 15, 2006.

1. Slev

Slev Well-Known Member Supporter

Well my little Dexter turns a year old. I've been walking her on a halter and lead rope, trying to teach her oxwn commands, but honestly I've not been working with her enough and she gets out of control at times. If I hold the rope tight enough, I can keep a hold on her, but at times she wins! then I have to chase her for about 40 minutes until I get her cought. I'm thinking of stalling her and only letting her out when I say so, as to re-assert I'm in control. At any rate, she does like to bet pet and scratched and brushed a lot. (I named her IRiS as in the day after Tax Day to the IRS...!)

2. Christina R.

Christina R. Well-Known Member

Happy birthday IRiS!!! Next year this time we'll be hearing about her first calf!

3. Slev

Slev Well-Known Member Supporter

YEP! I think I read somewhere that you could breed a cow as early as 18 months old, but I think I'd rather hold off until she would deliver in April, better spring pastures/weather but before the fly season starts.... :goodjob:

4. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

You can breed them at 15 months, the average month for breeding. My beef cattle I hold off till 2 to breed, close to 3 for calving. I have a couple Jerseys due at 23-22 months. Our vet calves his guernseys out at 21-22months.

Jeff

5. JulieLou42

JulieLou42 Well-Known Member

I think Jeff's vet breeds his Guernseys too early, at 12-13 months. How'd they get enough weight on them by then? I waited till mine showed 750lbs on the weight tape, and she calved out at 26 months. She's 1/4 Red Angus, tho'