Iris....How & When to Transplant

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by BJ, Jan 22, 2005.

1. BJ

BJ Well-Known Member

We bought an old farmstead where there was a flower garden on the outside edges of a large garden area. The various plants & flowers bloom all year...it is quite beautiful! There are many, many Iris plants planted in color groups..some types I've not even seen in catalogs. They are so crowded that bulbs..or tubers are on top of the ground. What is the best way to divide & transplant some of these flowers? Do I divide the plant...or transplant the bulbs? Once the soil warms they will start coming up....so when is the best time to move them? Also...are they toxic to livestock? That will determine where I transplant them. :confused:

2. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

Below is a link to a site that should answer your questions about moving Iris. Abide by the barely cover the transplants. Being nearly on top of the surface with the rhizome exposed is normal.

When dividing the old rhizomes look for root maggots, i.e. small holes in them, and discard, or at least plant well away from the sound ones.

I like Iris as they are about the toughest plant I know of. A fellow on my old mail route asked me if I would like some one day while I was admiring his. I now have a 400 foot row of Iris of many, many varieties.

http://www.thegardenhelper.com/iris.html

3. westbrook

westbrook In Remembrance

If you want the iris to bloom again then make sure it is exposed to the sun when replanting.

4. Bluecreekrog

Bluecreekrog Well-Known Member

You know BJ years ago it was common practice to collect different plants for your garden. Farm wives would litterly beg for a start or root of a plant they didn't have. Both my aunt and my grandmother had iris lining both sides of their driveways.

5. CarlaWVgal

CarlaWVgal Well-Known Member

Hey, I do alot of begging for plants, lol.

The person who use to own my house bred and sold irises, so I got lucky with a bunch of small tubors he left behind. I just dug them up and put them into a grouping (they were stragglers spread far apart), and buried them lightly with soil. Most of the ones I dug up were very close to the surface, some exposed, so that is how I replanted them. The only time I would not move them is during bloom. i have moved them fine before and after.

Carla

6. kathrynlmv

kathrynlmv Well-Known Member

My experience with irises is that if you let them get too crowded, they start losing their blooms.....after separating them, I have gotton as many as 12 on one stem. You can divide the bulbs themselves either in the fall or the early spring...they will suffer a little setback if you wait until they are growing leaves, but even so, they will still transplant. One thing I learned was the amazing quality of these flowers to do ever-so-beautifully in muck soil.